Shiitake Birthday Cake Pix PF style Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Shiitake Birthday Cake Pix PF style Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

ShedTheMonkey (Shedthemonkey)
Username: Shedthemonkey

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pix of my Shiitake jars. Got the "spores" from Sporeworks (not sure if they are really a spore solution or just some mycellia after having read a bunch on Shiitakes it is unclear and I don't really care cuz they grew really nice). BRF with some wood chips and verm. Pretty standard mix out of Stamets grow books innoculated 6-7-04 and I waited a couple days to pull them out. I am using sorta Chronic invitro for these with occasional breathing (maybe twice a day) and a rare misting when it looks to need it. We'll see how that goes.

Upload
overlay on verm

Upload
closeup of cake

Upload
quart jar aka fungarium

This has been a neat experiment. Glad I can share partial success with y'all. I can almost taste those Shiitakes!! Come to PAPA!!!

Upload

Oh, and PS I owe this board BIG TIME because it helped me separate the shit from the shinola so I don't waste my efforts as much. This board ROCKS!!!

ShedTheMonkey

trade_om (Trade_om)
Username: Trade_om

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a note all you PF style shitake growers should take, Stamets advises to soak the blocks (he uses sawdust/bran) in cold water for 24-36 hours and then birth them. He says it promotes heavy fruiting.

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 07:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just a note all you PF style shitake growers should take, Stamets advises to soak the blocks (he uses sawdust/bran) in cold water for 24-36 hours and then birth them. He says it promotes heavy fruiting.

Hrmmmm...I musta missed that. Been reading in his Medicinal Mushroom Growing Guide and his The Mushroom Cultivator books and didn't see that. Um...The cakes had a kind of wiggly jello consistancy and I would reeeeeely hate for them to fall apart. I was super careful not to touch them at all, even with latex gloves on. Gonna have to research this some more. Done so much reading in archives and in books that my head feels full!!

Upload
ShedTheMonkey

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 22439
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material
keep a grow log for us in this thread, please.

Namaste

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Problem Hip.

Here is one more relevant picture from about 10 days ago just before the jars finished colonizing.

Upload

The top is a layer of vermiculite and a tyvek filter was used on the jar. They were incubated at about 80 deg F.

I'm back to re-reading Stamets and trying to reconcile PF tek to Shitakes. Cold dunking might be needed. Still reading...
ShedTheMonkey

bluecat (Bluecat)
Username: Bluecat

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 03:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should wait a lot longer before birthing.i wait until there is a lot of brown area.the cakes will be very firm then.the syringes you used were cultures,not spores.good luck.have fun.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22485
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 03:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so
how long after
full external colonization
would you recommend waiting ?
look for the browning ?

Namaste

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DOH!!!
Hope I haven't screwed them up. Hey Bluecat, did you cold soak your Shiitake jars? I need to go find your stuff in the archives again...

Well, its all good anyway cuz I got a good friend who is clearing out a bunch of oak trees and I asked if I could have some logs and he said come on up. I have a big shady loquat tree that is the perfect spot for me to make a little mushroom fence. Shiitake, Reishi and others are easily purchased as plugs and soon I hope to have a LOG Log!! :-) I'll keep you POSTED. HEHEHE

Upload

(Message edited by shedthemonkey on July 04, 2004)
ShedTheMonkey

trade_om (Trade_om)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie, I'd wait at least 10 days after full external colonization, though some cultivators like to wait even up to 30days.

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes,judge by the browning.lots of it.the cake gets lots of blobs on it too.at first you will think the blobs are pins,but they aren't.the cake starts to look like rubber.be patient.better to leave them safe in the jar.you don't need to soak for the first flush,as long as you make them with enough water.plugs would be the cheapest way to make cakes too.one plug down the middle.if they don't flush within a week or so of birthing,then cold soak 24 hours,and cold soak between flushes.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22515
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 01:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so
what do you figure to
average in harvest weights
per shittake cake ?

Namaste

trade_om (Trade_om)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 03:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is hard to say....
From 6pounds of sawdust based substrate you would get around 2pounds of fresh mushrooms (roughly you would get fresh mushrooms in the weight equivalent to around 1/3rd of the substrate). I couldnt tell you though about PF cakes cause I havent seen a single research bout it and I havent tried it myself, but it does seem logical to me that it would be a bit less or equal. Though I dont know. If any1 got some concrete numbers, im anxious to hear them...

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also have lots of shittake cakes,
more than a month after colonization (cakes are still in the jars) but still no browning,
and think they begin to dry a little bit,
no matter will be waithing,

nice cakes!
please keep us posted

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've never weighed them.the cakes i've posted pix of are typical.usually 2 huge ones,and maybe a couple smaller ones.i've gotten from 1 to 10 mushrooms per flush,and it seems the total weight per flush average about the same.almost always 1 or 2 huge ones.i like the bigger ones best.i get many that are bigger than i've seen in the markets.i'll start weighing some .

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an update on my Shiitake cakes. :-) They have bumps.
Upload
Took the jars off briefly to allow CO2 escape and took a quick snapshot.
ShedTheMonkey

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 23179
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the cake gets lots of blobs on it too.at first you will think the blobs are pins,but they aren't.

still need to turn brown
but i think i see that beginning...

Namaste

Nilla (Nilla)
Username: Nilla

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awsome:-)

charlie (Xxxx)
Username: Xxxx

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a little bigger shiitake cake! :-)

Upload

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Charlie, hard to tell the scale. Is that a half gallon cake?
ShedTheMonkey

Steiny (Demonichunter13)
Advanced Member
Username: Demonichunter13

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 09:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats nice. Good job cant wait to see the product.
" Put the lime in the coconut and mix it all up, put the lime in the coconut call the doctor wake him up say doctor is there nothing i can take I said doctor to relieve this belly ace" Harry Nillson

charlie (Xxxx)
Username: Xxxx

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess it's around a gallon? It is sitting on a 9 inch pie plate.

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 05:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update, just starting to get a little browner.
Upload
ShedTheMonkey

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 23710
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 01:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Namaste

Dal Navn Rest (Dalnavn)
Username: Dalnavn

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good information. Thanks for keeping up with the results pictures. I have never tried growing with this tek. I think I will try it to quickly tell which cultures I get are the better ones. No sense growing a lot of mushrooms that suck!!