Aborts, Blackheads, and the Difference. Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. Abhort identification Aborts, Blackheads, and the Difference. Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Kant (Shineon2112)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question or two from a newbie.

-On my fruiting PF-style cakes, I have a few darkened (tiny black streaks, black heads, etc.) and blackhead (healthy looking body, blue veil, but a black head) bodies. They also seem to share the same vicinity on the cakes. My question is, are these contaminated now? Unsalvagable? I'm aware that PF (and others) say that aborts deliver the most potency, and that one should pick them before there heads turn black. I suppose I just answered my question there, but I guess I'm wondering WHY it is necessary to pick them before they turn black and (by implication) trash the ones that do. I guess I'm also wondering also how to diagnose a developing body in order to tell if it is or is going to abort, in order to save me from picking healthy the healthy ones or hesitating to pick the ones that are destined to shrivel up and die.

Thanks (in advance) for any advice/wisdom/discussion thrown my way :)

Ozz (Ozz)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 04:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump !! Good quesion, Im was wondering that too.

Martaxus (Martaxus)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 06:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it is preferable to pick aborts before they turn black, your day's schedule will often mean you'll find them that way. Without experience it is also possible you won't be sure they're aborts until they actually turn black anyway. The important thing is to pick the abort when you believe the cap is black. When the cap is black the shroom has stopped growing and will begin to degrade.

At this point the shroom is fine. It isn't rotten or contam'd yet; you should have at least a day before that is possible. You'll know when the abort is bad when it feels slimy, and is soft-mushy. If it is not slimy and is about as firm as a normal shroom, it is good. The threat of contams is also not present until they get soft & slimy; that's the rotting.

As to diagnosing a young shroom for becoming an abort, I'm not aware of a way. It is alleged that by cloning big shrooms you can reproduce it's liklihood to grow, but that's all I can say about that.

Hope this helps!

Fanaticus (Fanaticus)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 09:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a shroom with a "black or blackened" cap, is a shroom that has begun the rotting process. Black is bad!!!

Don't eat them, and if you do, you will feel sickened and it will make for the shittiest trip you ever had.

PF

Fanaticus (Fanaticus)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 09:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way, abhorts are good when they are young. The caps are not black but they are normal colored (reddish). Pick them then, when you see them abhort. Learning to distinquish the abhorts right away takes just a little experience and then you can spot them even before the abort sets in. You can detect the beginning of abort, and then you pick the tiny shroom because it is a good magic shroom. If the head has turned black, you are too late for maximum quality. I am sorry, but I only think that the best quality is the only quality. Don't eat compromised shrooms. Just don't let them get black next time you grow and this can be a learning experience never to be repeated again.

PF

Fanaticus (Fanaticus)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 10:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for instance - to see a preabort shroom just watch where the cap is connected to the stem. If the primordia is small and you see the cap beginning to seperate from the stem, that is preabort. Primordia that get bigger and good looking are the good ones. You can see the difference and then you can pick the preabort shrooms. They are not special potent shrooms, but they are young and prime, so they are good to harvest. In fact, it can be a pain in the ass, but you will love them when they are dried little gnarly fungi - they are GOOD.

PF

sleestak (Sleestak)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 02:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed that when a mushroom starts to abhort, the cap will get pointy (sorta looks like a hershey's kiss). The ones that keep growing have rounded, normal looking heads. It seems like once the cap gets pointy it will turn black in a day or two. I've never seen this observation written anywhere , so it could just be my experience. But it works for me

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 03:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moving to growing from general.
This should be archived after ageing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: