Invitro fruiting in jars Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Invitro [MycroTeks] Invitro fruiting in jars Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Peter Griffin (Factory651)
Username: Factory651

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had quite a bit of experience with the old "agar-rye-casing/fruiting chamber" technique, but because of the amount of carpet in my apartment, I always lose a heartbreaking amount to contams in the fruiting phase. At one point last year I had 80 1.5L jars fully colonized, and only harvested about 1/2 pound after all was said and done! After seeing pictures in this forum from fruiting in the jars I think that would be preferable to me. From what I can tell, it seems you just need to allow enough air flow to exchange CO2, but to keep water loss low. Any info would be welcome and appreciated.

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all in the archives, Pete -
if you have a specific question, I'd be happy to
help out . . .

sol

Peter Griffin (Factory651)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All apologies. As I'm sure every new user says, I'm not used to finding such a magnitude of USEFUL information in one site.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're contemplating invitro, see the 'coffee' threads in this forum.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if you just want to see some amazing pictures of Rodger's check the coffe thread. :P
Microscopes are my hobby. I do not cultivate anything.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Mycotopia
Hope this helps :-)

Fungivore (Factory651)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Rodger's coffee invitro picks: If half of my last year's jars looked that good I'd probably be writing this message in Sumerian!
"If you can control the meanings of words, you can control the people who must use those words"
- Philip K. Dick

Fungivore (Factory651)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, here's a specific question I've seen the invitro tek with the jars upside down and the pvc pipe spacer underneath, and I've seen Rodger's pics with the jars upright and holes punched in the lids. Which do you think is better? I figured that since CO2 is heavier than oxygen, upside down would be better for air exchange. But, then I thought that since the CO2 is being exhaled from the warm mycelium, it might rise anyway, so upright would be better. Maybe it doesn't even matter.
"If you can control the meanings of words, you can control the people who must use those words"
- Philip K. Dick

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones with the jars upside down and the PVC may be chronic
style, not true invitro style jars.
Chronic also has the cake inside of a larger jar (like a quart).
I don't know if rodgers has holes in the lid but I am
guessing his does.
And he may have air flow that allows exchange of the c02 for fresh.
When doing clasic invitro, you colonize/incubate with
the jars upright (lids on top) and then when you start
fruiting you turn the jars on their lids (upside down)
on paper towels to let the c02 air exchange occur.
Hope this helps :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 12040
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rodger's not really growing invitro intentionally,
he was just making grain for casings.

Smerd (Smerd)
Username: Smerd

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another advantage of invitro is that you can change your mind, at least for a while. We had impatient jars of PFCs pinning at 18 days, even within a dark styrofoam cooler. Dunk or not? Birth or not? The substrate at 18 days might not be fully colonized so dunking and birthing might prove risky. Well, it made sense to just leave 'em in the jar. They seemed happy enough, it's a nice clean place to live, and you can still birth them a week later if you decide to make prints.
You pressed you, referring to me, which is incorrect. The correct answer is you.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 01:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, that's how it all started. Trying to develop a way to get casings to pin sooner. However, when the jars started fruiting so quickly, the experiments took on a life of their own, and now 'quart jar invitro' is an official project. If someone were seriously interested in doing invitro like this as their modus operandi, they'd be advised to get wide mouth jars, for ease of harvest. The yield from some of these jars has actually been equal to or better than the yield from casing the same amount of grain, and the harvest comes sooner, with much less work, no grow chamber, and less risk of contamination.

For those curious, the jars each have four 1/4" diameter holes in the lids, with synthetic filter disks.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Underground_Shaman (Shaman)
Username: Shaman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RR-

in vitro fruiting with grains is revolutionary.

YOU ARE MY HERO!

Shaman
...once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12078
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sharing this with our friends at shroomery.org
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=& Number=2283143&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart =all&vc=1

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12079
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to coffee tek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: