Mexicana A Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Psilocybe Mexicana growing tips Mexicana A Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

who me? (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok i don't wanna mess this pretty syringe up, my gf had to show her tits to get it!

i'm gonna get some rye grass seeds...
soak in dilute coffee water.
hydrate by boiling
drain
PC
inoculate quart jars of rye grass seeds
and
try a honey tek so i can make more syringes
and now i wait... right?
just leave in the jars for 3-6 months? do i ever do grain to grain to increase the mex a jars?
i assume i won't be doing casings at all with the mex a....

anyone that has done mex A please give me tips, anyone that got a syringe of mex A please ask questions in this thread..... i love to learn.
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

FarmerWop (Croppinsloppy)
Username: Croppinsloppy

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of my attempt to prepare RGS in this way have failed. I found that the best way is to combine the seed in 1:1 proportion to water and PC. Shake it well. Moisture is very important w/ RGS....if not done properly water will pool in the bottom of the jar and it wont colonize.

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suckerfree:

I did some Mex A that I won from here last summer,
check out my post in the photo forum (I'd link it
for you but I'm old and don't know how to do that
stuff :-( )

When working with rye grass seed, it's REALLY important to
rinse the seeds several time before and after soaking
to make sure the dusty stuff is off of them - I didn't
do that last time and ended up with 10 quarts that I had to pitch because after PC'ing the rye
was stuck together like a brick...

The seed is super dusty, so spray the crap outta it
with your sink sprayer / nozzle / whatever.

Hippie suggested adding calcium carbonate (chalk) to
keep this from happening (after rinsing / soaking), but I didn't have access
to it and was too lazy / cost conscious to go buy some.

I put my rye in my huge PC pot, rinse, strain, rinse, strain, etc., again and again until the rinse water came
out relatively clean. I don't think it's possible to
rinse it too much.

Soak 'em over night - I'd do 1/2 of the jars regular water and
1/2 dilute coffee for experimental purposes if I were
you - we KNOW it works WITHOUT coffee,
but no one's ever used coffee for Mex A yet,
so why potentially spoil the whole batch just on the
off chance that it affects it negatively?

From Rog's reports, coffee is great for grains, but
keep in mind that unlike most grain jars, Mex A sits around
for months, so we don't know what the addition of
coffee will do over an extended period of time.

If you are comfortable with G2G then absolutely do so - my luck so far is 50 / 50, but I'm no expert by
any stretch... I just know what I know and hedge my bets on the rest. (hey, that rhymes and sounds kinda cool -
think I'll adopt it for my postscript!)

I've had no luck with non-sclerotial fruitbodies
as of this writing, but I'm still trying different
casing materials, temps, etc... only time and the
patience of Job will tell.

I'm currently debating between a honey tek to stretch
my remaining spores or just sucking some mycelium up
into a syringe to propagate new jars.
The last time I posted on the boards about the wonders of the honey/karo
tek, someone came back with,
"I don't see why I should propagate spores in karo
when I'm already propagating mycelium in a dozen or
more jars, etc., etc."

So maybe he had a point - I've used mycelium from
other strain jars, but never Mex A - can't imagine
it'd be any different, but karo tek is handy too
just in case your grain jars go bunk.

That's all I can think of now- more in that post I
was talking about.

:-)

Soliver

who me? (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks soliver, and you can bet i've already read your postings... a few times... i just wanna stretch this syringe as far as it'll go. and about doing half coffee half regular... i think i will.. i bought 3 and a half pounds of rye grass seeds for $2.62.... hope that's plenty!
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good tip:

After you harvest your stones, don't toss the
leftover grains!
I soaked my leftover popcorn in water overnight,
strained, put back into a jar & pushed it all down
nice and tight with my hands (bare but washed).
Then I put the jar on top of the fridge for some
warmth - within 2 days the mycelium was going apeshit
and now I have a "brand new" jar, producing the
2nd flush of stones for me.

It may be interesting to note that I picked through
the corn with my bare hands - took over a half hour
for that one big quart jar - the colonized corn was
sitting in a bowl right here next to my computer
desk...

No contams whatsoever. Maybe my new house is sterile,
but I know I sure as hell ain't!!

I have that jar of colonized corn in the incubator
right now - I cased it with straight peat in hopes
of getting some fruits (more importantly some prints) for my future propagations and for sharing
here with my fellow mycotopians....

Keep up posted! :-)

sol

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your best luck to get fruits will come from drying the sclerotia a bit, then planting it in peat/verm.

I only used ten drops from the syringe I got. One drop on the very center of each of ten petri dishes. This will let me clean out any possible contaminants while the mycelia is in two dimensional space and easy to see. In two weeks or so, those ten petri dishes should easily inoculate 100 quarts of grain. That's ten drops to 100 quarts. If you're wanting that syringe to go as far as possible, check out some of the agar teks. I use the antibiotic agar from fungi.com
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Fungivore (Factory651)
Username: Factory651

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, suckerfree, mind if I inquire where you picked up your rye grass seed? I can't find it anywhere, I've even been to every pet store in my city looking for it in bird seed but can't find it. I've already got a syringe in the mail and it's getting down to the wire!
"If you can control the meanings of words, you can control the people who must use those words"
- Philip K. Dick

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 12107
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're wanting that syringe to go as far as possible, check out some of the agar teks.
it also bears mentioning that one can take a colonized agar wedge, put it in a blender/eberbach and create a mycellial slurry with water to stretch it even further.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12108
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material
ok i don't wanna mess this pretty syringe up, my gf had to show her tits to get it!

who me? (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fungivore - a local plant nursery... just ask for it..

rodger i've never used agar, sounds like a pita... but i guess it opens doors for cloning and better harvests...

i guess i got to study up! HA HA HIP!

(Message edited by suckerfree on January 31, 2004)
- Confucius

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah -

I've never tried agar either, but it's probably about
time if I want to take this to the next level...
Do you think a dried sclerotial mass will pop out
fruits like a seed of sorts?

Curious . . .

sol

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12168
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's supposed to grow out mycellia once you hydrate it [chop it up a bit 1st] but i haven't seen any accounts of doing so successfully

who me? (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you heard of anyone successfully doing a grain to grain with this Mex A and rye grass seed?

- Confucius

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Paul's masters seminar, he brought out several nice sized morel sclerotia. The sclerotia was placed into a tray, and covered with a peat/verm mixture and misted. Three weeks later, they fruited a wonderful flush of morels. My assumption, possibly incorrect, was this would also work for mex a sclerotia.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12234
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you heard of anyone successfully doing a grain to grain with this Mex A and rye grass seed?
yeah, that can be done.

who me? (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 06:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hippie, at what point would you think this would be done(g2g)... while it's colonizing earlier on, or until a bit of sclerotia forms to add to the uncolonized jars...? thanks...

rodger... are you suggesting i take a quart and case it (coir and verm should work eh?)... and if the gods love me i might get some Mex A prints huh... it'd be worth a quart to try i guess.
- Confucius

Billy (Billy_bob)
Username: Billy_bob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
I was just wondering if it is possible to produce mycellia water as for shrooms to innoculate grain for Mex A?

I guess it should be but just wanted to be sure.

As a side note: I read and re-read all the karo/dextrose/honey tecs and dicussions and then at the bottom of one I saw a post by Hippie about using the water that had been used to boil potatos (organic) in...I tried various ways but 25% potato water and 75% straight boiled water kicked ass!...It produced like a thick slurry water of mycellia! Potatos rock!
Thanks in advance!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12335
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at what point would you think this would be done(g2g)... while it's colonizing earlier on, or until a bit of sclerotia forms to add to the uncolonized jars...?
no need to wait for sclerotia formation, just fully colonized

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12336
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wondering if it is possible to produce mycellia water as for shrooms to innoculate grain for Mex A?
yes.

I saw a post by Hippie about using the water that had been used to boil potatos (organic) in...I tried various ways but 25% potato water and 75% straight boiled water kicked ass!...It produced like a thick slurry water of mycellia! Potatos rock!
Thanks in advance!

Billy (Billy_bob)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thanks I thought so...
More on the potato water...Hope no one is offended but it was ...well it was like cum put bluntly! I was amazed. I wish I had a digi camera but you will have to take my word for it lol!

I couldn't get it to suck up into my syringe at all ..so in the end I just took the lid off the jar and the needle off the syringe and sucked it up. I decided to use loads to overwhelm any contams!

One thing tho is to strain the potato water through a sieve to take out any floating potato...this helps to see what is happening on the jar...I think this is the way to go as it is cheap-simple-organic...and works.

My jar was "full" in like a few days...My honey test didn't work and I couldn't get the dextrose tablets to mix with the water properly.

Do you think it would be worth, when soaking the grains to use potato water?

Phineas would be proud =)

(Message edited by billy_bob on February 02, 2004)

(Message edited by billy_bob on February 02, 2004)

who me? (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 09:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about this rye grass seed, i've never worked with it before (wow messy)...... mine has some green in it here and there... that normal?
- Confucius

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12415
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 03:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think it would be worth, when soaking the grains to use potato water?
kinda doubt that,
the excess starch will clump the grains and slow colonization.

Billy (Billy_bob)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 04:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Hippie,
yep it might be a bit over the top...

I just had another thought...Since the mycellia water is so cheap to produce...Could you take your grain-rinse it and then replace the normal water doesage with mycellia water?

I suggest this as I used quite a lot on my pc'd grain...like 5ml in a small jar...and within 12 hours the bottom grains of the jar where colonised.

Would this overwhelm any contams? The mycellium
would crash the party so to speak...a mycelium flood it could be called!...any thoughts?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12569
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Could you take your grain-rinse it and then replace the normal water doesage with mycellia water?

sterilizing would kill it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: