Visions' Pressure Box Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Visions' Pressure Box Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Magenta (Magenta)
Username: Magenta

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visions,
I was just looking over your posts about Baskets and Straw/ Dung. And noticed you talked your Pressure box up alot. But was unable to find a link to how you made it.
Can you furbish me with such a tek?

Magenta

skrewloose (Skrewloose)
Username: Skrewloose

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/2630.ht ml for some ideas.

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visions asn't been on here in awhile. He made his considerable contributions and then headed elsewhere (though I have seen him pop in from time to time).
I remeber reading that he made a pressure box by putting a hepa filter in a new shopvac and then attaching it to a box with holes.
Alas, when I looked again I could not find the instructions and so decided to make it as I remembered it. I only used it once so my results can't be conclusive but every jar that I made under that box turned green. worst batch I ever had. So either I had bad spores (very possible), or I had actually agitated contams with the box. either way there are many designs for pressure boxes here so choose one and make it. I should probably try this one again as a repeat test but maybe Visions idea was removed for a reason

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 12174
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a reason it was removed,
to wit-
every jar that I made under that box turned green
it didn't work, as Visions later conceded.
that man had some great ideas,
alas, that just wasn't one of them.

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guees its time take that shopvac out of the box and use it for the usual shopvac activities. No need to keep it clean anymore.......

Visions (Visions)
Username: Visions

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 04:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey hey hey now...lol....the pressure box works fantastic,,,never have a problem,,,still using the same filter,,,,,simple--large clear plastic box--2 holes for hands aprox 4"dia each,,,,a fan of some sort,,,,I use a 6" duct fan you get at Home Depot,,,if you use this same fan you must alter the space between the blade and the sides of the duct,,,as in fill in the space so the draw will always be forward and it cant draw from within the box,,,,I use 3/4" foam insulating strips,,,used for around doors etc,,,fill in the space between the blade and the sides of the duct,,,you will have to double it,,,just peel and stick,,,,then you have the option of using a shop vac hepa filter or using a Filtrete Ultra Allergen furnace filter$15,,,I use this same furnace filter for filter disks,,,works fantastic,,,,anyway if you use the furnace filter tape one on each end of the duct,,,just in case it should draw a little from within the box too,,,,just use duct tape to tape the duct and to tape the filter to each end,,,,so nobody gets confused one end of the duct is in the box and the other is out of the box,,,or you can use the ShopVac Hepa Filter$20,,,don't use the extra red foam filter because the draw wont be enough,,,currently I am using the Filtrete filter,,,,A picture is worth a 1000 words so here..

{Filtrete Ultra Allergen--furnace filter}

{Front View of Pressure Box}

{Top View of Pressure Box}

As you might notice the metal mesh is still on the filter,,,you must keep the filter pleates or the air will bounce off the filter,,,so cut it about 3"dia bigger than the duct and carefully bend over the filter onto the duct and try not to smash the pleats,,,you may want to cut 1" slits around the filter so it will bend easily,,,then duct tape it onto the duct,,,Remember to put the duct through the hole in the box before you do both ends,,,or it wont fit...lol...

I used 1/2"insulation strips around the lid top then screwed it down,,,

The hand holes are aprox 4"dia,,,don't make them bigger,,,you want pressure forcing everything out of the box,,,As you can see I have taped the hand holes closed,,,I do this to always keep it clean in the box when not using,,,before I open the holes I turn on the fan,,,,when I am finished I tape the holes keeping the fan running until the holes are covered,,,,Do this every time and the box will have less contams,,,,You may notice brown pieces of paper in the box,,,those are coffee filters with spores,,,For those of you that have read my other posts where I just rinsed the spores out of the caps with my sink sprayer and saved them in a galon jug,,,,I now have a new way of sterilizing those spores without killing them,,,,but that's another topic that I won't get to yet,,,

I havn't done anything in a while,,,,but not long ago out of the blue while working on an unrelated subject I had another vision,,,lol,,,this one may make some radical changes you've never thought possible,,,but I have many tests to perform before the verdict is in,,,,Just wanted to let you know my visions never stop,,,

Hip,,,I just used some of my PowerAid liquid cultures from almost 2yrs ago,,,,still working,,,just kept on a shelf in a cabinet...

Visions
Oh yea,,,this sight gets better and better,,,Fantastic Work!!!
(imok - I linked in the pics for you)

(Message edited by imok on February 01, 2004)

Visions (Visions)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 04:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry,,,forgot to upload the pics,,,,here
Upload
Upload
Upload

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 918
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Archive Material
Great Glovebox Tek
Hope this helps :-)

Magenta (Magenta)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you feel the basket Tek is better than the log?

Thanks Visions,

Magenta

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12205
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

,,,I just used some of my PowerAid liquid cultures from almost 2yrs ago,,,,still working,,,just kept on a shelf in a cabinet...
amazing!

Visions (Visions)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magenta, your original question asked about my pressure box so I gave you that,,,,about the Laundry Basket Tek vs The Log Tek,,,I can't say,,,I've never tried the Log Tek,,,never had a reason to switch,,,the Laundry Baskets are Simple and contams aren't a problem,,,

***To all newbe's***----For Really Consistant Success and to be able to take this hobbie to whatever level you want you will need these 2 things...

1)Pressure cooker---large enough to hold Qt jars is best or you will regret that you didn't wait and save your money to get a large one...

2)Pressure box---pressure boxes are simple and cheap$50 and much more user friendly than a glove box and easier to keep contam free,,,,with pressure boxes you can freely move in and out of the box bare handed moving things in and out freely,,,just remember anything that moves into the box must be clean every time including your hands,,,I use Hand Sanitizer for my hands(get from a Restaurant Supply $4). I put a spray nozzle on an 91%Alcohol bottle,,,use it to quickly mist my jars and then wipe with paper towel before I place them into the box,,,I put a spray nozzle on Hydrogen Peroxide bottle and use it to mist my jars when I open them to do grain to grain transfers---don't use hydrogen peroxide on anything else---only mycelia--just a quick mist,,,No filter is perfect so never expect 100% but so far I've havent had a single problem,,,,but think out all your steps to make sure everything going in is clean and that means each time you remove a hand,,,an alcohol damp paper towel helps to wet your hand each time,,,Remember to clean your tools first,,,like your spray bottles,,,doesn't do you much good if you mist with a dirty bottle,,,Touch as little as possible in the box too---don't touch the box inside or out,,,any tools in the box place on an alcohol dampened paper towel---even if you cleaned the box use it like it's dirty and try not to touch it,,,you can never be perfect cleaning,,,Remember if the hand holes are open the fan better be on to keep out contams,,,

Think your steps out and do it that way each time and don't cut corners,,,Do it Right Each Time and it will become a natural habit,,,And you may have success like this---

Good Luck and Keep it Simple!
Visions
Upload
Upload

petri dish (Petri)
Intermediate Member
Username: Petri

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visions--I'll be here on the edge of my seat waiting for your next on cleaning spore jugs. I think I will pull up another seat to wait on the edge of in regards to your new radically different tek. Mad props for your 2 yr old room temp poweraid cultures still being viable.

Magenta (Magenta)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 12:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the filtered fan idea. I think I will use it to bring air into my grow room. My baskets will thank me.
Magenta

Visions (Visions)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you used 2 20"Filtrete Ultra Allergen filters on a 20" box fan you could use it like a Flow Hood,,,,I havn't used it like that,,,but I sugguested it a long time ago,,,,there were a couple of people that tried it and said it worked,,,,to me it's worth a try and couldn't get any more simple
Look around---The answers are right infront of you---You only have to notice...

1 (Somadose)
Username: Somadose

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 08:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying you don't use glove attachments on your pressure box? Do you just have holes in the side? I cant tell from the pictures. Thanks to any one that can clear this up.

Visions (Visions)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just holes,,,,,

Filtered air is forced into the box and leaves through the hand holes,,,when your clean hands and stuff go through the holes and into the box it creates even more pressure,,,so it fills the box with filtered air and forces it out through the hand holes,,,,keep the fan always running while you use it,,,Turn it off only after you have taped closed the hand holes so the box is always clean of contams for the next use,,,And turn on the fan before you untape the hand holes,,,still I give it a quick cleaning each time,,,a little bleach and a drop of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle and paper towels...Remember to clean your hands before you clean the box...

You can move jars etc in and out at will,,,just make sure everthing that goes in is clean,,,including you hands each time you remove them from the box....really simple to do...

Building a box simular to this will save you a hell of a lot of misery,,,

Learn Grasshopper Learn...

Use my "Syringe-O-Matic" to keep your needles clean while injecting jars,,,should be somewhere in the archives

Look around---The answers are right infront of you---You only have to notice...

1 (Somadose)
Username: Somadose

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 08:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Visions I could give you a big kiss, you have helped me alot with your TEKs

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12572
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Use my "Syringe-O-Matic" to keep your needles clean while injecting jars,,,should be somewhere in the archives

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/14746.h tml?1033908699

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: