New type of contam (for us), request ... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. New type of contam (for us), request ID help Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Nilli Willis (Procell)
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 07:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings all,

well, we were looking at someone's cakes and saw something that we had yet to see. The cake called "moondog" had Tiny little clear stalks with little black tops and a little bit of what was thought to be cobweb at the casing line.

contam

contam_detail

There was a grand search of the archives but found no info about the dots..

It was sprayed with H2O2 & H2O and knocked down, time and you guys will tell.. grin

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 01:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like a mold, hard to say which one as there are thousands...

joey ramone (Joey99652)
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 02:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could be this?.....................

mucor

macroscopic appearance: a fast growing fungus, forming an interwoven dense mycelial mat,whitish at first, producing a stalk like sporangiophore which is not swollen at the apex but is enveloped by spherical spore producing body. soon becoming grayish and then blackish overall with spore production. when MUCORsporulates, it appears like a forest of "black headed pins". on malt agar, sporagiophores often do not form, making identification difficult.

medium thru which contam is spread: primarily air; secondarily grain and contaminated compost

measures of control: air filtration; sufficient sterilazation of grain; and immediate removal and isolation of contaminated regions, spent compost, aged mushrooms or cropping debris, exersizing general hygenic practices usually prevents this contam from becoming a prob.

commn names: black pin mold, black bread mold

history, use and/or medical implications: some species toxic. mucor pusillus and other mucuracous fungi are the cause of a rare but deadly disease known as mucomycosis or phycomycosis. although mucor attacks open wounds, the outer ear, and the lungs, it is not a primary parasite but one that takes advantage of poor health caused from other diseases. this disease and ones related to it are more prevalent in tropical and subtropical zones than temperate regions.............

i got this from pages 290-291 of the mushroom cultivator by stamets and chilton

i am not an expert it just sounded very close in appearance to what u have so i hope i was of some help

gabba gabba joey ramone

Nilli Willis (Procell)
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 04:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You da man! Sounds like what we are seeing here. Thanks for the in depth info.
Moondog has been treated and moved to isolation. . . smile

jack black (Bold_Cucumber)
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 10:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that stuff one time, on a friends cake I gave him as a pet. Never got it myself, but it's nice to know what it is :)

JRK (Godfetish)
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 10:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it's pin mold...it can be one of the tough ones to identify until it's too late. It's abult mycellium looks like cubie's fuzzy premature mycellium making identification even tougher.

Trash the cake and clean up the house with lysol or strong bleach to kill off the spores it's released.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: