Need Some Grow Info Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Marijuana Need Some Grow Info Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 07, 2004Fitch F. FitchHippie325 1 02-07-04  12:41 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Username: Fitch

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 07:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the trichromes and big globs of THC are used to protect against UV light, could I not force more out of the plant by exposing it to an extra UV light source other than the sun?
He was born pauper to a pawn
On a Christmas Day
When the New York Times said God is dead
And the Wars Begun

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 12754
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 02:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, first that's only a theory.
2nd- UV light does more harm than good to plants.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12755
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 02:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

PBeester (Pissybee)
Username: Pissybee

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, that is not true. They say that adding a UV light such as an uncoated black light or, even better, a tanning bed lamp is good for increasing potency. But you must turn them off when you are in the room.
PB

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12766
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 10:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah well 'they say' doesn't mean much to me.
show me proof first that UV even increases the THC level.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 11:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My logic would be that if the function of the trichromes is to protect the plant from UV light, then increasing the exposure should result in production of more trichromes, at the expense of some other biological process.

Too much light would straight up damage the plant. A slight increase in exposure every day might cause the plant to produce more trichromes at the expense of bud growth. This might be appropriate to try at the end of the flowering cycle, as halted growth will be less of an issue, and the substrate for THC production will have developed under normal conditions.}
He was born pauper to a pawn
On a Christmas Day
When the New York Times said God is dead
And the Wars Begun

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12784
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the function of the trichromes is to protect the plant from UV light

to my knowledge, no one has ever proven that to be factual.

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I have read it in several publications, but I'll have to look to find an actual study and references. It is a fact, though. That is why marijuana grown near the equator or on mountains is more potent. There are several growers that are trying sunbed lamps in their grows to increase potency on some of the other mj forums. I am absolutely positive that this is true, so I'll have to do some searching to find the data for you. I don't have the time to look for it now because of a death in the family but I'll find it.
PB

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an exerpt from an article in Cannabis Culture I found quickly.

quote:

Recent Swiss trials in outdoor plots of clones grown at different altitudes have shown that there is correlation between higher altitude and increased potency (although there seems to be a trade off in yield). This likely means that THC-rich resins act to protect the plant and its seed from both higher light intensities and ultraviolet presence. It's no surprise that cannabis has developed a chemical to protect itself against the Sun's damaging UV rays, as they can be injurious to all forms of life.

Here's the link: http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2159.html

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more link with more info:
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3189.html
PB

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose you could do a proof by growing plants and subjecting them to varying degrees of UV light. Proof positive would show an increase of THC with an increase of UV, before reaching a point where the plants got all messed up. If this were positive, then there would probably be a decrease in bud growth to compensate for the increase in THC production. UV could be administered in brief bursts throughout the night, as repeated smaller doses would be more effective than higher ones.

My 2 cents.

Drunknmunky (Drunknmunky)
Username: Drunknmunky

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not to sound like an asshole or anything, but you really should start growing yourself and figure out what works best for you rather than listening to everyone's opinion =) grow a crop, see how it turns out and then make experimental changes for the next one. worst case scenario you get weak stuff that tastes like ass, BUT you grew it yourself and that's something to be proud of. Trust me.

My suggestions for your first crop:
1. Maintain a constant level of humidity at all times.
2. Vary the temp by 5 degrees or less at "night"
3. When they get to a decent size, vary the day/night cycle to bud them.
4. harvest!

once again, try simple first and move on to your own expiriments that you know first hand will change anything.
The secret to happiness is self delusion.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12796
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 03:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

grow a crop, see how it turns out and then make experimental changes for the next one.

hmmm,
i was always taught that
a wise man learns from the experience of others
but a fool must learn it for himself.
so i'd say trying to learn by doing
and adjusting based on failures and successes
is a hard road to follow,
costing years of time, money, energy.
better to listen,
weigh the evidence,
then put together a plan.

pbee,
those fall well short of any kind of proof.
i know from experience that my plants which grew in a basement under fluors, never getting UV light were every bit as potent as my plants which were grown outdoors in sunlight with UV.
so any difference has got to be quite small.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, my philosophy has been to follow the 6 P's:

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Unlike mushrooms, these plants require 60 days plus to grow, and I intend to be doing pure sativas so lengthen that period by a few weeks. Factor in the 4 -5 month growing season here and you can see that trial and error affords me one chance per year to do it right. Also consider that I would rather not smoke than smoke junk, even if I did grow it myself.

Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone has really helped me gain some perspective on the plants, and some very important decisions have been made.

Regarding the UV, its probably cheaper and more effective to just get strong genetics and grow the plants properly, than to start screwing around with UV exposure.

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, well I couldn't tell the difference, I don't think, but from the studies I've read, it seems that the strains that originated in the areas with the highest UV(mountain tops or near the equator) are the most potent strains. With that being said, I don't know how much difference there is between a sunbed lamp and the actual sun's output, but I'd imagine that there is quite a difference. As for proof, as I said, I'll have to find the actual study because the literature I posted talks about the study but doesn't have an actual reference.

quote:

My suggestions for your first crop:
1. Maintain a constant level of humidity at all times.
2. Vary the temp by 5 degrees or less at "night"
3. When they get to a decent size, vary the day/night cycle to bud them.
4. harvest!

1.You want the humidity to stay at 50% or less, unless rooting clones
2.You want the temp about 75 during the day(unless you are using CO2, which allows a higher temp) and it should drop about 10-15 degrees at night.
3.Depends on the strain, your setup, and your growing method, as to when you should flower.
4. harvest no kind before it's time.
PB

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12978
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 02:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it seems that the strains that originated in the areas with the highest UV(mountain tops or near the equator)

while there is some correlation between geography and potent strains [or at least-used to be],
it's hard to say exactly why that was the case.
perhaps it was the harsh climate,
or even human intervention,
such as humans in the lowland areas selecting for ropey fibrous hemp, which is correlated with low potency,
while their more potent mountain cousins,
being hard to reach and cultivate,
retained their original potency
unmarred by human intervention.

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Hippie, the strains that were not cultivated and selected for potency, the ones that grew in the wild, were the ones that lost potency and were overall less potent. When they breed wildly the overall potency tends to go down. Take a look at the book Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke, it explains much of the science behind those exact things that I was saying and it also explains a whole lot about breeding. I mean you can believe what you like but the explanation and evidence he gives as well similar findings in the other vast amount of resources leads me to believe what they say. There is a direct correlation in the amount of THC and CBD in a plant and where it originated or in relation to it's latitude. Closer to the equator equals high THC, low to no CBD, farther gives more CBD, even in the higher THC strains of northern latitudes. I have a lot of experience with marijuana, not only in growing and smoking but I've studied every aspect of it and every piece of literature I could find on it since I was about 15. So much of the knowledge I have isn't from studies I have done or my own science but from others studies, so while I may not be able to give you pictures and evidence to prove some of the points, I still believe the studies and the logic behind it. I would love to leave exerpts and blobs of info from his book but maybe you could check it out and then give your opinion on his theories/conclusions.
PB

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12993
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have a lot of experience with marijuana, not only in growing and smoking but I've studied every aspect of it and every piece of literature I could find on it since I was about 15

me too,
except 15 was more years ago for me,
giving me even more experience than you.
and i have that book and have read it.
i'm fully aware of the arguments you outline,
i'm just not as sure as you that its' factual.
a correlation does not necessarily equal a cause.
for example, it might be the low air pressure or other environmental conditions behind the correlation, UV is not the only variable.

(Message edited by admin on February 12, 2004)

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Understood. I guess I've always been the type to believe the most logical explanation that I could find(my opinion) based on the info I was given, until a better explanation was found or given. Not saying I'm never wrong but this is what I think based on the reading I've done on the evolutionary chain of potent marijuana, as well as the results from that Swiss study and other things. I guess it could be any number of reasons but I haven't heard of any better explanation then the one by Mr. Clarke. I'm always open to new theories and info, though.
PB

Drunknmunky (Drunknmunky)
Username: Drunknmunky

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The secret to happiness is self delusion.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13089
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Understood. I guess I've always been the type to believe the most logical explanation that I could find(my opinion) based on the info I was given, until a better explanation was found or given.

well, that would be a 'operating theory'
but one would still want to bear in mind that it is in fact still only a theory,
not proven fact.

PBeester (Pissybee)

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly.
PB

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: