Lowering air pump noice... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Secrecy & Stealth ; Privacy & Security. Lowering air pump noice... Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a simple way to reduce the noice from your air pump,of your growing chamber.
Just put a light controller between your air pump and your power supply...!
This way you can lower the noice by 50% ,but you can also adjust the amount of air flowing to your terrarium !
Just try this,and notice the difference...!

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best not to use a lighting dimmer on a motor, even a small one. You're taking a chance on burning the motor out. An AC motor knows what speed to run at by the frequency. (60hz) If you reduce the voltage with a lighting dimmer, the motor still 'tries' to run at the same speed, but because of the lower voltage, draws more current. This will eventually burn out the motor, and you'll have a fire hazard. Not a good idea.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 12808
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer.
any 'safe' way to get the same job done ?

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 06:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do your pumps have a motor ?
I use a pump that is normally used for fish tanks...(the little one's)!
This type of pump does not have a motor inside...

Expert Contam Grower (Exprtcntamgrowr)
Advanced Member
Username: Exprtcntamgrowr

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fish tank air pumps i've seen have solenoids in them to work a diaphragm. Your speed control should work, I'd run it and check for heat build up. (I'd also set it in a metal or glass pan, but I'm paranoid)

I grow everything very well, Green mold exceptionaly well.

19eightiesmetal (19eightiesmetal)
Username: 19eightiesmetal

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Best not to use a lighting dimmer on a motor, even a small one. You're taking a chance on burning the motor out. An AC motor knows what speed to run at by the frequency. (60hz) If you reduce the voltage with a lighting dimmer, the motor still 'tries' to run at the same speed, but because of the lower voltage, draws more current. This will eventually burn out the motor, and you'll have a fire hazard. Not a good idea."

by no means do i wish to step on anyone's feet, but this is completely irrelevant and using a fan or light potentiometer(dimmer) is perfectly safe and applicable. the fact is that aquarium pumps do not contain motors whatsoever(rogger rabbit is right about basic AC motors, though many AC motors such as those in ceiling fans have an incremental coil/brush configuration to completely alleiviate this) aquarium pumps use an oscillating magnet to bend an iron weight on a strip of metal back and forth. on the side of the metal strip is a rubber diaphram attached to 2 one way air ports. the point is, using a potentiometer of any kind(that will support 110V) will work fine, as the magnet will still pulse at 60hz, only with a weaker pulse strength. you can get one at radioshack and mount it nice and neat through a drilled hole in the side of the pump itself, save about 10 bucks, and it will look like it belongs there.

dont get me wrong, im not being a smart-ass or anything, but im a liscensed electrician and can answer most any questions anyone might have on house current applications. this next one is off subject, but i like to spread my insight to anyone who might need it, long ago i designed an automated timer for heavy wattage lamps- 1000W-1500W sodiums, ect. instead of building something like this and trying to sell it i like to give free info to others. i'll post it in the botanicals section.

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/15362/109 830.html?1076307841

Bubblegum Salvia (Bubblegumsalvia)
Username: Bubblegumsalvia

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 07:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I used small shelf brackets (two per side) and then held the pump in place with heavy duty rubber bands as I show below. I did a test to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time and the difference was considerable."
name
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rubber band idea works great too. The first post specified 'air pump' and not aquarium pump. I incorrectly assumed he was using some sort of fan. I just didn't want anyone to use a lighting dimmer on a motor.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12863
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 03:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to stealth

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, sorry for that Roger R. ...I wish my Englisch was a little bit better...

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Air pump died today....
Don't now if the lighting dimmer is the source ,but be carefull if you try my method!!!
It was an old one... so I'm gonne buy a new one and give it some testing.... measure the Amp's and such.....
I'm also building a nice controller unit ,if it's finished i'll show you some pictures...

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Username: Shroomzhilla

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I used that type, I tossed the whole she-bang in a big sterlite tub under some blankets, and used extra long hoses. mighta been a fire hazard now looking back, and it still was quite audible.

I dig chicks that drag their knuckles

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13022
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 02:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Air pump died today

lol
kinda makes you wonder, eh ?

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a new one !....
Still with the same setup ,Amps. are O.K.(8 mA 220V)

Now praying that this one will keep working, because I'm seeing some shrooms now !!!
Picture time this weekend!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13101
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we're praying for ya too.

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The solenoid needs to go back and forth at sixty cycles per second. If you cut the voltage with a dimmer, it still needs to operate at the same speed. I've never tried it, but all literature on those dimmers reads, "incandescent lighting only". I'm kind of a stickler for following label instructions on electrical equipment. If the new one burns out, you'll know for sure.

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 07:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still lives ! but I can't lower the voltage much ,because it will stop working if I do!
I think it's because of the magnet inside...

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get some soft foam rubber and put the pump on top of it that will lower the noise quite a bit. If the pump stays fairly cool while running you could wrap it in foam also. Be sure it doesn't overheat and burn your house down though.

If you were to put some sort of filter/dampener on the air intake that would also quiet it down some, same for the output side.
--Pskov(insky)
A multiclass lvl 1 psion, lvl 2 fighter, and lvl 6 auto mechanic.
Stats unknown.
(no, it's not my car, wish it was)

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 08:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It only runs for 15 minutes and then stops for another 15..,so it has time to cool down.
I'm gonne try that when I have a box to put it in!

Ferry (Spacecake)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 09:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finely, here is a picture of my little setup:
Upload

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: