Covert automatic incubator/grow chamber Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Secrecy & Stealth ; Privacy & Security. Covert automatic incubator/grow chamber Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 13983
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 02:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Step one.. find a freezer with the cooling coils as the shelving.. this is key for the proper operation.

step two.. remove the compressor, and condensor from the rear of the freezer.. attempt to maintain any wiring. as it may come in handy later.

step three.. clean and paint the racks with quality paint.. rustoleum... silver, or aluminum preferrably..

step four.. attain a condensation pump.. that is capable of pumping over 16 feet of head.

attain a small refrigerator if this is going to be in an environment over 82 degrees... this is how you will cool the system when the temp is too high.

Attain a fogger, air pumps, thermostat , three timers with 15 min adjustability.. at least a 200 watt submersible aquarium heater.. flourescent threaded bulb, and a pull cord, a catch pan for drainage, extensions, tubing etc..

then do this...
remove the orifice tube from the refrigerator.. and run tubing to the coils inside the freezer.. this will be for cooling, not freezing.

Install a thermostat with a tupperware barrier to keep moisture out.

there should be a small tube in the freezer for the orifice.. keep this intact.. this is the passageway for the air needed to make your fogger humidify, and keeps the air from going stale and gaining too much co2.

The jist of things... the water to cool the unit can come from an existing refrigerator.. or a small refrigerator like one you would use in a dormatory.

A simple heat exchanging coil is submersed in a tub of water.. this maintains the temperature.. so that you dont' "overwork" the tiny refrigerator when cooling is needed.

The lines are normally covered with pipe foam... they are exposed for you to see..

Water is not used in the coils.. It could be confused with condensation if it leaked. I use sierra in the system so that the metal parts do not corrode as quickly. I also added an sca to reduce the crud.

sierra is a pet safe antifreeze, so if it leaks i dont' kill my best friends.

sca is an automotice supplemental coolant addative that inhibits crud in the system.. Get both of them at a parts store.

the pump has a flat that makes sure there is fluid in it before it will run.. so you dont' burn it up if it goes dry.

Venting and fogging... I will soon have the air pups in an enclosure that allows only hepa filtered air into the system.

Air and water drain / heater. The water in the heater alone is too much moisture for the comfines of this area. I had to place a lid on the unit to limit the humidity.

There is a remote water supply for the fogger and for the heater resoirvoir, they remain hidden amd are not needed as the unit requires very very little for either.

The water you see here is clear... i tint the water lightly with food coloring to more easily tell where it is going, and check for leaks.. this can make it hard to find contams... I havent' had any colored veges yet.

thelights here can be controlled with a timer. I have a flourescent in here temporarily, with a secondary pull switch. The also has a couple outlets on it for internal accessories.

I am going to install blue led's if I can find whether the lighting spectrum meets that which is needed and preferred by the cubies..

The cost of things..

1-junk upright freezer.. free THE COILS MUST BE INTACT INSIDE
1-used dorm fridge 20 bucks .. check your local classified add
1-fogger 30 bucks
1-condensate pump 50 bucks
1-thermostat 15 bucks
4- 15 minute increment timers 20 bucks
1-wiring and cords 15 bucks
1- 200 watt submersible heater 30 bucks
40-feet of hose and tubing 10 bucks
1-coolant and addatives 30 bucks
1- heat exchanger - about 20 bucks.
1-plastic containers etc 5 bucks

Total... less than 250 bucks..
QUOTE (Shmoppy @ Jan 30 04, 04:31 AM GMT)
If you want to be really fancy and make a badass incubator, just hook up a water pump to the coolant lines of one of those styles of freezer, and put a water heater in the water reservoir for the pump.

Instead of coolant lines, you get heater lines

There is a lot of heat loss in the process of fluid traveling through the lines..

I put the heater in the freezer to raise the humidity.. I dont' have to run the fogger with it in there.. I could put the heater in the refrigerator that is used for cooling.. or the resoirvoir.. you are right.. I did at first, and it ran three times longer. Plus you have to depend on the pump to carry the heat (which also creates small amounts of heat), this way there is less margin for error.

This is used for growing small batches also. Heating and cooling are both needed here due to climate.

NINJA

Airflow is controlled by a hand built timer / scr voltage controller.. connected to a cpu fan.. It pulls through the unit with a hepa in the inlet... Very adjustable, very efficient, and very quiet.
http://www.sensource.biz/products.htm
http://www.hobbytron.net/timersub.html
http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=ART602

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13984
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material
stealth

Dr_fungus (Dr_fungus)
Advanced Member
Username: Dr_fungus

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Hip
Now thats what I'd call dedication to a hobby. Very nice indeed.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven."
(John Milton)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13996
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not me,
'ninja'.

Dr_fungus (Dr_fungus)
Advanced Member
Username: Dr_fungus

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see his name, right in front of me.
Nice work Ninja, that dedication brings a tear to my eye.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven."
(John Milton)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: