Bag style growing Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Bag style growing Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
B+ mycobag flushGonzoHippie39 1 06-30-03  02:50 pm
Straw Sticks 3 days after spawn1dumbmyco 1dumbmyco 44 2 11-15-04  02:36 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Karna (Karna)
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 07:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might have already shared this with you, if so, please set it down to failing memory and bear with me once more.
After some years of using fungi perfecti and other bags with great success, I tried Hip's bulk tek which involves oven bags which have the great advantage of being cheap, widely available and completely inconspicuous. The results were not good, which was put down to the bags themselves being of bad quality, and not really providing good growing conditions inside. I believe this was all discussed at some length on the old site about a year or so ago.
Well I decided that constantly purchasing grow bags was too much of an attention getter and decided that a substitute had to be found on grocery store shelves.
This substitute, it turns out, is your regular Ziplock bag. Not the "baggies" (althought I'm sure they work, but they're kinda small) but the larger gallon size and the wonderful 2.5 gallon size (my fave) which is perfect. The one important difference is that these bags cannot be PC sterilized. However the bags are sterile on the inside until opened. A modification of the tek to include a transfer stage post sterilization of the substrate is easily accomplished. Air exchange is achieved by simply opening the bag about a third of the way. Using one pint of spawn, complete colonization of 2lbs dry whole rice or 8 cooked pints (with top verm layer) is consistently complete on or about the 7th day. None of the problems I have encountered in using these bags for just over a year (wet spot and substrate dryness) has been the result of the bags themselves, but rather of improperly cooked grain (which is a bigger issue with bags and bulk). Not a single contam so far.
I love these things. The results are as good as the "myco-bags", MUCH cheaper and completely inconspicuous. What is more, they have multpile uses - at a pinch if you need a clean area for colonization, zip up a bunch of jars in one, wipe the outside with a clorox wipe, you're done! They can replace a humidity dome for cakes because they are very good at keeping in the moisture (which is why bulk substrate if cooked properly, will not dry out in the bag like in a turkey bag). Just place a few cakes standing on the bottom, mist the inside a bit, crack the zip a bit, that's it. Air exhange is a cinch. They are EXCELLENT for dunking, you can mix a ton of casing and store leftover casing mix in them, not to mention leftover foods of all kinds and plus they are first rate for marinating, you can fit a couple chickens in there. I think we have a winner.

sno (Sno)
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 08:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice

sno (Sno)
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 08:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i gotta give that a try,
sounds like an easy way to go.
sounds like material to be added to that infamous hip bulk tek section.
ever tried it with straw in the bag ?

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell yes karna!
I was pasturizing some compost as I read this thread...sounds like a nice new method, and I'm going to use it, thanks!

I gotta stop that...leaving shit on the stove and getting on the computer. Lost a few batches of jars that way

Karna (Karna)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No never have tried straw hippie. Im gonna at the next chance. I just reread my post and realized I've become the Billy Mays of the ziplock world!

Serialkiller (Serialkiller)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about using the food saver bags. the gallon size. or you could make your own size. i think that they would work just dont take the air out. they can be sealed, and after that boiled for sterilization or pc'd, and reused they are also dishwasher safe. damn i sound like the infomercial!!! i have a bunch of these bags and think this would be a good idea to use for bulk substrate.

peace
serialkiller

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 04:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how they really hold up in the pc? Before I test one, I would like to say that a really good bag tek would simply rock... It makes maxium use of the limited space inside the pressure cooker.

I am glad the big food storage bags are working for you. I might try that with compost.

But a pressure sterilized bag grain bulk tek is really what I need, and I am not going to pay for commercial myco bags. The thought of moving a gallon of grain substrate into a bag... I prefer not to.

Off to test the vacuum bag product available at Walmart

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 03:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know, i think i might just try stamets' bleach pasturization method [pg.190 GGMM] for straw in some of those ziplocks.
you just soak the straw in bleach water a few hours, drain and inoculate.
sounds perfect for stuffing in a bag i can't pc,
and then spawn it with a ground-up pf style cake as per oldtimer.
off to the garden center then to the grocery store...

btw, i know you said they won't take pc'ing,
think they could handle the 160-170*F of pasturizing straw ?

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont see what you are talking about hippie. i have the mushroom cultivator in front of me but i dont see anything about bleach pastuerization on that page.in my book that is the page for growth parameters for the species pleurotus ostreatus.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, it's the GGMM one instead, my bad.

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you give us the instructions on that bleach pastureization? it sounds easier than boiling it . but maybe im wrong..

peace
serialkiller

Karna (Karna)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 12:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nan the transfer is not so risky if you have a good flow hood. I don't and i'm fine so i'm sure you will be too.
Jeez I dunno about standing upto 170F. Never tried it. Actually I'm only guessing they can't be pc'd cause I stuck one in the microwave and it melted in like a minute. Plus Im too chicken to try and get the most expensive piece of the whole puzzle covered in plastic.

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 01:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bags are working...
I have 5 gallon ziplocks of half colonized compost in like 3 days!!! The mycelium is just ripping thru it. I stuffed polyfil in the top of one of the bags and it seemed to just dry it out, so don't do that...

170 isn't that hot...not even boiling, it should hold up. I don't think there is any point in pasturizing in the bag tho...you don't have to be TOO sterile while transfering it and straw colonizes so fast with ground cake that it doesn't easily contam anyhoo...

I'm gonna try the bleach pasturization with poop tommorow hippie...we'll see how it goes

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 02:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

far out, i'm hot on yer tail wop.

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used the bags...you definetly can't PC...170* is fine.....I have also used bleach to pasteurize and have found it best to allow air exchange so that the bleach can evaporate...so if using zip bags, crack them open....

I have been using Pillow Cases too...with great results...The Pillow Cases I use are: "CleanAir"...Allergy-Relief Bedding...Zippered Pillow Encasing with Dust Control Barrier....Bought @Home Bath and Beyond

Dust,mites and allergen cannot penetrate 2-layered breathable barrier...

Waterproof: Allows air exchange but holds in moisture.

I stuff the "CleanAir" Pillow Case with straw then bleach pasteurize and or just pasteurize and or both...I have added bleach to the water after pasteurizing so that while the Pillow Case is draining that if cantams land on the Pillow Case while it is wet and then wicked into the Case that they are killed...

Then I take that Pillow Case and place it into another Pillow Case...a different kind..."BioSafe"...treated with Ultra-Fresh...an Anti-Microbial...which inhibits the growth of bacteria, fungi, molds and mildew....and it is breathable...the Anti-Microbial stays in the fabric...that's what they told me....and aparently it does because I didn't have any problems....

Then I tossed in a cake....and wha...la!

I think I might try bed sheets...line a 55gal garbage can with the sheet...toss in a bale...bleach pasteurize...toss in some cakes or better yet a Pillow case...tie it closed...jump on it...and hang from a tree...

What Fun!...I love this!

Bill Reefland (Bill_Reefland)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome stuff! I can't wait to try that.

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 04:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats the recipe for pastureizing with bleach?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bleach pasturization =
1 cup bleach per 10 gallons of water
submerge straw 4-12 hours.
drain.
inoculate.
just that simple.

hmmm, a bale of straw in a bed sheet you say....

Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't you tell me in another thread 1 cup to ten gallons of water?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 12:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are correct.
glad you caught that,
i'm screwing up all over.
thx.

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey...I was kidding about the bed sheets....it would be too F**King heavy....oooh the old bed sheet pulley method could work...

Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bed sheet fulla straw wouldn't be that heavy...
The fruits would.

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 12:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wet straw....LOL...You're right...but Take 1 lb straw soak over night then allow to thoroughly drain....What do you think it weighs now?....Should be around 6lbs or 1 part straw to 5 parts water by weight

Admin (Admin)
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bags