Pok-A-Prints...!!! Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Spores, Prints & Syringes Pok-A-Prints...!!! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

k yall, check it.. this is the printing tek that i use. super simple and super effective! ok first i take a 1/2 pint jar and cover with two layers of tyvek and lid band...
Upload
now i Pressure cook this to sterilize the inside of the jar... the norm. 15psi for 30 mins.
NOW this is where the 'magic' starts to happen. :-)
I take a small metal nut, about 1/2 inch, and plastic coat it with this...
Upload
i use three coats, just follow the directions.. you don't want ANY metal exposed. ill tell ya why in a minute. here is a shitty pic of the end result..
Upload
ok, now we are going to want to sterilize this coated nut because the can of plasti coat said not to use on any material that is going to reach a temp above 150 F. so that knocks out using the PC, so what i do to sterilize this is soak the coated nut in pure bleach for one minute. then with a sterile tweezers i rinse the bleach off in boiling water and immediately place the coated nut in alcohol for 10 minutes. when this is done (you can also soak the tips of the tweezer for this duration) as fast as i can i just slighty crack the now sterilized jar just enough to get the nut in there. using the sterilized tweezer i take the nut STRAIGHT from the alcohol and toss it in the jar, quickly sealing it back up. you SHOULD NOT rinse or dry the nut before you put it into the jar, there is no need to. the alcohol will evaporate through the tyvek. heres a shot of the nut in the jar (in this pic there is a print on the bottom of jar, this would not be there yet, so at this point disregard that.)..
Upload
ok, now once the alcohol has dried up, you can print as many caps as you want in bottom of this jar (of course always remember to be sterile as possible when removing the jar lid in open air, a flowhood or glovebox is best. but i do it in open air with few problems, just gots to be quick like slick rick. lol) the more prints the better!
Now heres the real 'magic'... now that you have your jar all prepared (prints and nut) you are ready to make syringes.. take your 'ready' syringe and 'poke' (this is where i get the name from) thru the tyvek and inject your solution. now remove syringe and quickly cover the small hole with a alcoholized cotton swab and take a magnet and put it on the bottom of the glass jar and move the nut around to scrape off the spores into the solution...:-)
Upload
the magnet in the picture isn't powerful enough to cause enough friction between the nut and the bottom of the jar BUT you can easily obtain a larger one at any farm supply store. Or if you have old speakers lying around, you can use the magnets from those. the benefit of this is that there is no foreign objects used to scrape the spores into the solution. the only hole put in the tyvek is from the small syringe needle. you can also have complete control as to how many spores you scrape into the solution. AND any water that isn't sucked up into the syringe evaporates out the tyvek leaving your still sterile spores for the next use.. like i said there is no limit to the amount of sporeprints you can put on the bottom of the jar.. and if you strategically place your 'pokes' you will never run out of room seeing how the holes are so small. just remember to immediately place a small piece of tape over the poke holes. ok now the reason you need to completely coat all the metal on the nut is that the same properties that make the nut magnetic are the same properties that make metal rust, hence the plasti coating. this is also why you can't use stainless steal as it is non corrosive or magnetic. one could also do this with polyfil but i would make about 4 or 5 holes filled with the polyfil for faster water evaporation to ward off bacteria's. :-)

fahtster
says: hello :-)

something random (Ska4eva)
Advanced Member
Username: Ska4eva

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quality :D:D:D

Tehuti (Roo)
Username: Roo

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! You made a homemade magnetic stirer! These work great in making syringes..

Upload
"You have to go out of your mind to use your head"

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 14237
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dipping the iron nut in nail polish or paint would also seal it, allowing it to be sterilized in the jar.
archive materiaL

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 849
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet, never thought of that. :-)

fahtster
says: hello :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: