Butane extraction reports please Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Marijuana Butane extraction reports please Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Kush (Mark ) (Masterkush)
Username: Masterkush

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 07:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody smoked the results of butain extraction here?
Has anyone tried it in a vaporiser?
What was the yield...and anything else you report?

Snap Crackle and Pot!
I need Barrels of the stuff...every day...just to keep me alive!

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 07:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made it, didn't smoke it.
Nope, but it ought to work.
Good-ish, i estimate it got 50-80% of the THC out.

I wouldn't do it to bud, thats really kinda a waste.

But if you can get a shitload of leaf for cheap and do it on that it's worth it for sure.

Be warned, the resulting honey-like THC stuff WILL mold, fairly quickly, so you might want to PC it or something to get it to store better.

Or mix it with real honey maybe, for eating... don't give the wrong honey jar to guests though :P
--Pskov(insky)
A multiclass lvl 1 psion, lvl 2 fighter, and lvl 6 auto mechanic.
Stats unknown.
(no, it's not my car, wish it was)

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 09:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have never had butane oil mold on me.

and as for yields,my friend figured out that from trim you get about 4 to 6 grams for every 2 ounces,and uses 6 cans of butane.

if you use bud(crumbled to shake)you should get twice that much maybe more.but of the same quality.

I love oil now.I don't want to smoke pot anymore,I smoked nothing but oil for the last week and my lungs feel better.

also don't smoke oil using charcoal(freebasing oil off a hot coal),charcoal is carcinogenic.my friends smoke it that way.but I found that using a bong is best.just get a bowl(downstem)and put 3 steel screens in layers just a bit apart from each other.

then just put a small drop of oil on the screen and smoke.the oil will go from screen to screen,so not much is wasted.damn a oil bowl sounds good right now hold on a minute.

oh yeah that was good.

as for the mold part,me and a friend always let the butane evaporate in a hot water bath(as we are making the extraction,which my friend figured out works better if you release the butane slowly rather than quickly),then when a little liquid butane is left it goes on the stove for another hot water bath,then when it all looks like it evaporate.we scrape it and put it in a little tin(altoids box etc...)then we leave it on top of a stereo amp or computer monitor over night so that the rest of the butane evaporates,and the oil drys out some.

what we are always left with is a light green sometimes blond ear wax oil,like puddy that you can play with and wont really stick.unless you ground your trim or bud to almost powder,then you end up with dark almost black liquid oil.

I love the oil so much that I now want to make it as a goal to gather enough to fill a quart size mason jar,that shoulkd last me and my friends at least a year or two.
"I got ta get my props,cops,trying ta come and snatch my crops.These pigs wanna blow my house down,Head underground to the next town.they get mad when they come to raid my pad,And I'm out in the nine-deuce Cad"

dead diver (Dead_diver)
Username: Dead_diver

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 10:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try chasing the dragon on tin foil with it. Works great but be careful and don't take big hits. I tiny smear is like smoking an entire joint. Be warned
Don't ask me. I don't care

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

won't smoking from tin foil give you aluminum poisining in the long run?

but hey i'll try anything once.
"I got ta get my props,cops,trying ta come and snatch my crops.These pigs wanna blow my house down,Head underground to the next town.they get mad when they come to raid my pad,And I'm out in the nine-deuce Cad"

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 14385
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flame the foil 'dry' once beforehand to burn off any residues before smoking off it.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Username: Fitch

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im pretty certain you could do a cleaner extraction of the oil with base of some sort, because of the acidic proton in the hydroxyl group. Sodium Hydroxide or Sodium Hydrogen Corbonate should take cannabinols to the aqueous layer. You could then precipitate with HCL. All these are ridiculously common chemicals.

This would give you all the acids present in the oil, which is what you want. These acids could be recrystalized with ethanol and water. I think itd be much easier to smoke and dose crystals instead of oil. You could select for various compounds by adjusting the strength of the base.

dead diver (Dead_diver)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butane extraction is just sooo easy. Once you do it that way you won't bother with any other method. From schwag to honey oil in 15 minutes

Pskovinsky (Pskov)

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably... but the thing with the butane extraction is that it's easy...
psycho naut did a waaaay more complicated job then i did (then again, he got better results as well) I just took some leave, covered it with butane in a canning jar, and let it sit for a while, then strained the leaf out and let the butane boil off.

Well, there was a step in there that lost 20% of my facial hair(temporarily), but that isn't recommended :P
--Pskov(insky)
Stats unknown.

dead diver (Dead_diver)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

Pskovinsky (Pskov)

Post Number: 593
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not quite that bad...

Butane is very nice in the fact that it goes "whoosh" and then burns out, not nearly as bad as gasoline or napalm or whatever.

(do be carefull, it's not to be messed around with if you don't have a fire extenguisher around)
--Pskov(insky)
Stats unknown.

dead diver (Dead_diver)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 07:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do it outside with ceramic dishes. No metals that could cause a spark. I'm even paranoid about using glass outside in sunlight in case it acted like a magnifying glass and ignited the butane.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 07:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butane is easy yes, but its really just a good first step. Heres a breakdown of my procedure, which should yield nice crystals, and what each step entails:

So youve got your butane oil... now what?

In a separatory funnel, 3x Extractions with aqueous Sodium Hydroxide. This will take all acids into the aqueous layer, which is drained and kept. Time: 5 minutes.

To the aqueous layer, add HCl until no more precipitation occurs, or until the pH is around 2. Test with pH strips available at any aquarium store. Time: 2 minutes.

Wash the crystals in cold H20, and allow to dry. OR

Dissolve the crystals in a mixture of methanol/ethanol and water. If solution is colored, add activated charcoal (aquarium supply store) and heat until color is removed. Drive off the alcohol, and the Cannabinols will precipitate in the water. Drive alcohol off slowly for nicer crystals. Wash collected crystals in cold H20, dry. **Note that if you use ethanol, you will lose product, as ethanol forms an azeotrope (inseperable complex) with water, so some product will remain in solution. Lab grade Ethanol has been treated with benzene to free the ethanol from the azeotrope. This is why you dont drink industrial ethanol. Benzene is carcinogenic and not healthy for you. Time: less than 30 minutes.

As you can see, this can be performed in under an hour, with extremely innocuous reagents. You could even make your own separatory device using any glass container with a removeable lid, and a pipette or turkey baster.

Pretty little effort to go from oil to crystals. All the work was in learning the chem. to design this procedure!

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 07:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friend and I do something like this

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=3398 30

except we use pvc instead of copper pipe,and cheesecloth instead of mesh.plus we dont grind it up to powder so we get a more ear wax hashy looking goop rather than actual oil.

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 07:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's very cool fitch thanks.

I'm not as chemicaly inclined as you but that is definitely worth looking into.

I've been wanting to find a way to make the oil from 60 or 75 percent to 100 percent THC.

I'll have to try it.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My procedure is a rough and dirty one to get ALL cannabinols, as well as a few others probably. If you had an idea of what was in there, you could further separate it.

I just wanted to provide people with an easy way to turn that oil into something a little easier to smoke, that is at least more pure than the original oil.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 14486
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material