Psilocybe Mexicana growing tips Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Psilocybe Mexicana growing tips Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Mexicana Jars & Crop - At Long Last SoliverHippie330 1 01-31-04  07:10 pm
Experiences-sclerotia ?myco domesticusHippie37 1 07-11-03  01:26 pm
Mexicana Awho me?Hippie324 1 02-05-04  11:15 pm
Mexican A - sclerotiaBillySuckerfree33 1 05-03-04  05:54 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Boomerz (Boomerz)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 01:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am ready to start growing my Mexicanas from a print... However I haven't been able to find much information on this shroom. My book "The Mushroom Cultivator" has some info on it, but not very detailed info.

Should I just start the spores inside a PF TEK jar? Then spawn to a different kind of substrate? Can somebody give me some advice here for what I need to do with this species. I only have one print that hippie sent me, so I want to make it work the first time.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 01:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psilocybe mexicana
Pajaritos, Teonanacatl
Strain-A

Cultivation Difficulty: Moderate
Potency: Moderate to Highly active
Substrate: Rye grass seed, rye grain, millet and wheat straw
Colonization Temperature: 75-81F
Fruiting Temperature: 71-74F

This is the sacred Teonanacatl or God's Flesh in the Aztec language. Rediscovered by Roger Heim in 1956 and used by Dr. Albert Hoffman in the first isolation of psilocybin and psilocin.

Psilocybe mexicana is noted for its sclerotia forming abilities on rye grass seed (see also P. tampanensis)

A brief note about the legality of Psilocybe mexicana by Richard Glen Boire, Attorney: (excerpt from "Psilocybin Production" by Adam Gottlieb)

"Under federal law, and under all state laws that I'm aware of, no mushrooms in the genus Psilocybe are outlawed by name. Gottlieb is incorrect when he states the P. mexicana is explicitly outlawed - an inaccuracy I've often seen in repeated in the literature."

AIRDOG's comments on the collection.

"I found those in pastureland growing directly from soil. They grow single or in small groups. The biggest group I have found is of three. I picked them in the state of Colima by the skirts of Colima's volcano."

From The Spore Works Research Department

Strain-A

Selected for Invitro Sclerotia Production.
Conic caps never going plane in age.
Few slow to develop mushrooms with heavy sclerotia production in casing.
Excellent sclerotia production in jars on sterilized grass seed.

Cultivation Methods-Invitro Sclerotia

Using Strain-A, Grass seed and water were added to quart jars in a 2:1 ratio and sterilized for 1 hour at 15psi.The jars were each injected with 2ccs of Strain-A spore syringe solution. The jars were incubated at low room temperatures (68-72F) covered with foil to limit exposure to light. After 3 months, the jars were harvested with the following yields.

Weight of dry grass seed per quart jar: 134 grams

Weight of clean sclerotia:
Jar #1 119 wet grams dried to 40.7 grams = 34.2% dry matter
Jar #2 108 wet grams (no dry results)

If you are seeking a strain of P. mexicana for fruit formation we recommend you work with Strain-B. Strain-A is most noted for its amazing sclerotia formation on rye grass invitro but may only produce fruits poorly. Best results for fruit body formation are with Strain-B.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 01:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strain-B

Selected for Standard Fruiting.
Flat caps, often aging with upturned edges.
Sporadic spore production.
Often fruits in dense clusters sometimes with good sclerotia production in casing.
Poor sclerotia production in jars on sterilized grass seed, stalling soon after forming.

Cultivation Methods- Fruiting

We have seen good results using ME and PDY agar for spore germination and mycelial growth. Incubation temperatures were 85F on agar and rye grass seed. Grass seed and water were added to quart jars in a 2:1 ratio and sterilized for 1 hour at 15psi. Using Strain-B, Quarts of grass seed were fully colonized at 85F in 14 days. Fully colonized seed was layered into trays about 1 inch thick and cased with a sterile peat and oystershell casing (4:1 ratio) We microwaved the casing for 20 minutes to sterilize. Excess water was added prior to microwaving to make up for steam loss and to prevent burning. Pins of Strain-B formed in 15 days after applying casing layer at 75F. Mushrooms matured over 7-9 days.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 01:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i sent you the A strain, i believe.

you can also find some info here
on sclerota production, etc.
just keyword search.
good luck!

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No spam, so just this information. If you want more info, <[email protected]> since 1972.

"THE GOLDEN DOORKNOB": This book not only discusses easy and cheap ways to grow many different types of psychoactive mushrooms, it also covers the secrets of growing psychoactive "Sclerotia". When grown under proper technique, they can get as large as "doorknobs".

#06 "THE MUSHROOM CULTURE", The Journal Of Mushroom Cultivation (TMC) July 1985 "Psilocybe mexicana, cultivation of".

#12 "TMC" Jan 1987 "Psilocybe tampanensis, cultivation of".

"PSILOCYBE TAMPANENSIS": The most complete source of information ever published on this mushroom. Includes all it's history, Dr. Pollock, cultivation of fruit bodies and comotillos (sclerotia).

"MAGIC STONES": A complete research ms. with total discussion explaining this little known aspect of hallucinogenic mushrooms, sclerotia. Their extractions have shown to halt the aging process in insects. All references, photos and University research test papers convince even the most skeptical. Serial Numbered ms.

"FRUIT OF THE GODS": Mushroom video on psychoactive mushrooms...sections on sclerotia.

I will come back shortly and post an infomative section from "THE GOLDEN DOORKNOB". Stay tuned! slp/fmrc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's ok, that's not spamming.
we know spam when we see it.

Boomerz (Boomerz)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 04:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip the spore print that you sent to me had this picture on it:

This is what the sporeworks has for a picture of their B strain.... Are you saying that I will not get any mature mushrooms from these spores?

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 05:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

use rye seed, you can steep for 30 mins then pc in a quart jar. also, you can use 'yesterdays news catlitter to form sclerotia and just make the jars like pf tek only substitute the litter for the vermiculite. if you just want stones grow the a strain. you should definitely cold shock overnight before birthing. the mushrooms also grow well off compost.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 05:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, boomer,
maybe it was b strain.
i smoke too much pot i guess.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 06:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the article I promised slp/fmrc..............

"SCLEROTIA"

Taken from "THE GOLDEN DOORKNOB", By Stephen L. Peele. Copyrighted Material. Permission is granted for free and academic use duplication as long as entire article is used. Any sale or commercial use is violation of International Copyright. Published by the Florida Mycology Research Center (FMRC), POB 18105, Pensacola, FL 32523 USA www.mushroomsfmrc.com [email protected].

"Also known as "Magic Stones", "Comote", "Comotillos", "Rock Of Ages", and the "Philosopher's Stone".

Some species of mushrooms have the ability to produce sclerotia. Most mushrooms and other fungi do not have this ability. Several of the psychoactive species of mushrooms produce sclerotia. Psilocybe mexicana and Psilocybe tampanensis are two examples. The sclerotia is actually an alternative expression of the mushroom to insure the continuation of the species. This modification is also directly associated with the survival of the mushroom during environmental extremes. High temperatures, desiccaction, or nutrient deprivation, cause these types of mushrooms to form this resistant structure. The sclerotia is formed by the cells branching profusely, and then develop into a thick outer layer to protect the inside against the extremes of the current environment. The sclerotia contains stored nutrients, and can survive under unfavorable conditions for many years.

Sclerotia be observed many times when just maintaining the live culture. They can appear on both agars and grains. They are solid masses and are like walnuts without the hard shell.

Out in the wild, the sclerotia grows under the ground and cannot be seen unless dug up. And even then, it takes a trained eye to know what to look for. The Zapotec and Mazatec tribes in Mexico use Psilocybe mexicana as a sacred mushroom. They also have used the sclerotia produced by this species for many years. The sacred secret of the sclerotia was more heavily guarded than the mushrooms ever were. When found, the finder thought surely he was being looked upon favorable by the Gods. These Indians have always been very careful about who they passed this secret to. First, to find the sclerotia, you have to find the sacred mushroom that produces them. When the mushroom is found, you know that the vegetative mycelium is in the ground underneath. This will be where the sclerotia is. Take a knife or small trowel, and dig up all around the area where the mushroom was found. A two foot circle, 6 - 8 inches deep, should cover the area. If you see the mycelium spreading out further, continue digging in it's direction. Concentrate your search in and around the off white colored mycelium. It will look "threadlike and cottonlike". The sclerotia produced by Psilocybe mexicana can average about 1 inch long, and be of irregular shape, sometimes even flat. Smaller stones are also found, so it is important to carefully search. These are chocolate brown in color, and covered with a soft white fuzz, mycelium. When broken into, the inside flesh is a lighter brown, and it will shortly change color to blue. They are a little bitter tasting, but much better than the mushroom. Eating an uncooked chestnut tastes and feels pretty much the same." slp/fmrc

Propagator (Propagator)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome, thx for posting that! Great post. :)

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 11:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll say it for you Hip, :)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 02:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow,
that's the first material i've read about gathering sclerota from the wild,
thx stephen.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 05:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the article, and thanks for the nice comments. You poor mushroom babies appear to be hungry for the "mycological word" <grin>. I will post another good article shortly under it's own topic...........watch for it. slp/fmrc

Serialkiller (Serialkiller)
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 05:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think that mr. peele is making a very good adition to this community. he has brought so much needed information with him.
thanks stephen

peace
serialkiller

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 02:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed, i'm still wading thru the e-magazine he sent, lots of interesting stuff.

Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10234
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MexA
mexA on pda

(Message edited by admin on January 04, 2004)