Simple, quick, perfect, portable grow... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Simple, quick, perfect, portable grow room : Portable Closet Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 01:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by gamemaster

Quote:

THINGS TO BUY:
1: LeeRowan (portable closet), it has zipper access (vertical and horizontal at top), made of durable plastic (air tight) , clear area at front top for perfect natural light access, plastic is transparent through-out just enough to light from outside of terranium (placing light right on top), just throw out plastic piping included, only need plastic perimeter
dimensions(size): 60"h 36"w 20"d
location: Lee Rowan company # to order 1800 325 6150 ext 359(was on box)
found at general store.. look at kmart,lowes,walmart etc for same brand or very similar dimensions
$19.99-29.99 look for sale or different brand similar dimensions...
2.PlanoMolding plastic vented shelving, allow's perfect amount of air movement in chamber, durable plastic and easily popped together and taken apart. fits perfect in plastic case by leerowan. you will build the shelves starting inside the plastic zip cover to properly fit total shelving unit
dimensions: 50.75" h 36" w 18.25" d (snap-fit, 4 shelve unit)
location: web at www.planomolding.com or at general store: kmart etc
$24.99-29.99 or cheaper
3. Vicks cool mist humidifier by Kaz, you can buy any size, prefer bigger for less maitenance
$19.99-24.99 again look for sales

These three pieces will put together a perfect, nice sized grow room. Its cheaper than any its size and simplicity. It can fit in almost any closet, works like the expensive greenhouse units they have on market, simple to put together and take apart (easy to clean).
1. first put build shelve in plastic perimeter( there is plastic bottom to product)
2. take hose of any sort and run from cool mist outside of chamber.(use tape or anything to mind to bring in cool mist air.
3. thats it.. you have three huge shelves to grow happily ever after

A friend I know has had perfect results using this set-up.

its just a sure fire way to throw together a grow room without having to look hard to put together something of your own.. look up those sources and go to your hardware store and put it togethe! total it will cost you $75 and under!

of course you could just staple some plastic (dark or translucent) with heavy duty stapler around edge or perimeter of plastice shelving..........or any other way you can think that you can attach the cover..ideas of many... but it is nice to have zipper access thats easy and quick to take apart and put back together..for cleaning purposes and what not.

just find your nice plastic shelving with air spacing to pass through wiht right dimensions to fit a portable closet casing, and cheap ass cool mister..and waaalaaaa...very nice easy to clean, take down, throw up grow room. put a nice little timer on cool mister too...wont have to replace water for 2-4 days. already has plenty of natural air exchange from cool mister..even if you just placed it in the grow room..and ran the cord through bottom hole. this should be everyones grow room...less work than using perlite and several containers...no fanning needed or misting...just natrual light or any light...and of course nice substrate and bulk spawing..into big sized trays on the three huge shelves...waaalaaa..all you ever wanted as a hobbiest with ease!!! getton down with the growin with your newly affordable grow room idea...step right up and make your way to the one and only grow room on the market thats done and i mean done in three easy purchases and steps!!! =) no more perlite, no more fanning.. no more... worring!

peace

stephan (Notsuoh99)
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 02:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - what a great idea!

Thanks Gamemaster for your creativity & Hippie for passing it along. I am out the door to K/Wal Mart right now!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 03:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i'm going to build something quite similar myself this week to house this straw/compost/rye batch i've got coming on.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 10:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the wife found a great portable closet/wardrobe at the junk store, it's 7' wide, 6' tall and completely transparent, zippered, for about $25.
the plastic shelving will easily fit in, with plenty of room for my hepa air cleaner and a humidifier.
it'll be like the giant rubbermaid i never had.
life is good.

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 01:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehe...
he says:

"3. Vicks cool mist humidifier by Kaz"

I just got this huge bakers rack on wheels, and a big zipper thing to go with it. I think this is going to be fun, except for the fact I just gave away my humidifier, and will probably end up getting a new one.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 01:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer.
fortunately i still have a hepa and a humidifier lying around unused so this is an easy cheap way to get mega-grow space.

Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 06:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tents Are washable

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 02:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a pic
growroom

Delerium (Delerium02)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 04:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have the exact same thing be very carfull not to poke hole in it, it's easy to do.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 04:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's why the good lord made duct tape.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 05:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wisconsin Chrome

(Hey I used to live in Illi and that's what it is called there)

Karna (Karna)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 11:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That terrarium looks great hippie. I (and I am sure others) have used the same idea before with great success. With the difference that store bought steel shelving and sheet plastic were substituted. This design has the advantage of plastic shelving which does not degrade as fast if at all. After about 3 years much to my suprise the steel looked like it was gonna crumble. Its also lighter than steel or wood and assembly is fast. Also the zipper provides better accessibility than sheet plastic which is clumsy to drape and undrape and gets dirty very easily. So this design is a key improvement on several features while adding the all important "p" - portability. Very elegant indeed if I may say so
Looks like you've got room for more shelves too. As far as lighting, wouldn't room lighting suffice since the wood door is not opaque?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 11:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, plenty of room inside.
assembly was a snap, too.
ambient light would be great if you aren't in a closet.

Jack Argon (Phishinphree)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 02:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just made one of these from stuff at ames. $17 for a 36"w x 20"d x 60"h clear plastic closet, $17 for an 8 cube stack and rack snap togather racking, and 19 for a cool mist. All togather thats less that 60 bucks. Hippie, does yours attach at the bottom or do you just let the plastic hang loose. Also is the top of yours all plastic? Mine has a "breathable" top. I believe its made of tyvek(spelling?). Its textured like the soft plastic cd liners that caselogic makes. Its semi seethough and black in color. I'm sure it lets air exchange but the walls cloud in about 30 mins after the cool mist is turned on. Thinking about putting the cool mist outside with a pipe attached for the humid air. Any sugguestions and/or improvements are welcome.

Thanks for everyone's help in here.. I rarely post but I read almost everything I can..

One more thing... Is it ok to put cakes in there? I know its a great place for casings but will cakes work as well or do they require a higher humidity?

Thanks again -OP8

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 02:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

does yours attach at the bottom or do you just let the plastic hang loose. Also is the top of yours all plastic?

i duct taped the bottom shut tight, and the top is like yours, a thick heavy canvas-like cloth.
you prolly should put the cakes in a smaller box, rubbermaid as they need 100% humidity.
be careful with the zippers, they are the weakest link.