Wick Tek for BRF Cakes Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. Wick Tek for BRF Cakes Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)
Username: Drenkhahn

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems, in horticulture "wicking" has been used for some time... That is, using a wick to draw water up into the soil, from a water supply. So, essentially, the water supply is there at all times. As water is used, it is replaced by the wick. The soil will draw from the wick, and the wick will draw from the water.

Its sounds completly logical and there is no reason it should not
only work, but also improve a yeild. Provided that the moisture in the cakes is less than that of the wick, it will always draw from the wick (preserving the cakes for more flushes?).

FOAF used:

2 PF Cakes, identical, same strian (Z-strain). Double-end cased (top and bottom verm was soaked to saturation for 3 days after birthing).

Mixed and PC'd side by side. Innoculated at the same time with same strain. Sat in the same incubator side by side, at the same temps. And fruited in the same semi-sterile terrarium under the same humidity and light.

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Setting up the wick.

Nail hole in the center of a 1/2 pint jar lid..

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insert wick like so...

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point you want to spike a hole, verticly, through the cake. I used a small metal rod (cleaned with rubbing alchohol but not sterilized).

Then you gotta kind of jerry-rig your wick to what ever you are using to push through your cake so that the wick is inserted through the entire length of the cake.

Once the wick is inserted through the length of the cake, pull the wick snug so that the wick is sitting striaght. It should extend out 2-3 inches from the bottom as in the picture.

Fill up the resivoir (I used a 1/2 pint widemouth jar) with distilled water. Be sure the wick lies well below the water.

You can PC the jar and water if you want. I did not, and no contamination is visible to this day..

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Results?

As stated above. FOAF used a control cake, double end cased, under the same growing conditions from start to finish.

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far so good..

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(drum roll please)

Wicked cake = 95g wet

Control cake = 61g wet

Ugly as hell, but with a bit more effort and control who knows what the furture holds...

Upload

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 09:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Control cake was harvested 2 days after the wicked cake.

1stTimesDaBesT (1sttimesdabest)
Intermediate Member
Username: 1sttimesdabest

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that the pulling through of the wick would be kind of bad for the cake. Also, wouldn't the wick be a little to contaminated? Or did you steralize it?

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clean, packaged wick, in shrink wrap, right off the roll. No sterilization. But your talking about a fully colonized BRF cake.

All my PF cakes are made this way. Never had one contam.

(Message edited by Drenkhahn on March 04, 2004)

Tony Hawk (Jibaridge)
Username: Jibaridge

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, if you use perlite for humidity the myceliem will penetrate down through the verm into the perlite and make a 'natural' wick, I know every cake I've crumbled after sitting on verm/perlite most definetly had enough water by drawing its own.

The wick is definetly a good idea on the other hand, sure beats trying to stuff that polyfill crap through the hole, and acts as a polyfill type contam filter, I might be worried about the wick drying the cakes, it'll give them more moisture if the wick is always wet, but it'll draw moisture if it gets dry, IMO of course..
"Don't stop here, this is bat country"

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were both cakes from a multispore innoc or cloning or isolate?
Green is the colour of her kind.

-Pink Floyd

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What temp and hum setttings were they grown in. and if one were to actually do this what would be used to push the wick through the top of the cake and out the bottom.. . . Also, how long did it take from birthing them and doing the wick tek to your last grow pics?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 14836
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty nifty

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 885
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres using your noggin. :-)

fahterrific
says: hello :-)

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats pretty cool! can you clone something and do the clone on both wick and no-wick? that'd be a deffinitive test...

I just have to say this...

Looks like a huge mushroom growing tampon... :
--Pskov(insky)
"There are two types of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those that dig, you dig"

(no, it's not my car, wish it was)

joe blow (Lamonsta)
Username: Lamonsta

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man thats great. Now only to try some doped water.

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey,

like it very much,
did not understand - were both cakes in a fruting chaimber or outside in the open

NegativeZer0 (Negativezer0)
Username: Negativezer0

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your comparison double end casing seems a little bit low; it seems like a single end casing...? you should clone and do another comparision, do 1 cake that is dunked and 1 inner res, throw in the ss tek also ;)

thanks for contributing! this makes mycotopia and the rest of the "group" more advanced.

(Message edited by NegativeZer0 on March 05, 2004)

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Username: Marvinm92

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat idea... How much water does it suck up in 24 hours?
HAPPY EASTER! :-)

Drenkhahn (Drenkhahn)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know they should have been done with a clone, for it to be even a halfway fair test.. perhaps next time..

Both cakes were fruited in a terrarium and taken out only for photos.

Water level? The cake sucked in about 1/3 of the total water inside the jar (easy). I actually had to unscrew the lid and put more water inside the jar because the water level had dropped so much the wick was barely submerged..

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 04:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did you use to pull the wick through the center of the cake? Also, you never answered how long the cycle was for.

Josh R (Northernlit024)
Username: Northernlit024

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 07:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where do you get wicks in packages from?

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying this now with two of my cakes that weren't doing much - lots of ribo. growth but no pins. I punched a hole through the center with a drill-spike, it worked great, but I used cotton rope instead of real wick, we'll see how it goes. The one I did two days ago pinned yesterday, so it's looking real good.

Mad props, Drenkhahn - very impressed.
In Tyler we trust.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 15053
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

of course
much the same
can be accomplished
by sitting the cakes
onto damp perlite.

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I double-end case my cakes using the lid tops so I don't dirty the shit out of my perlite. I guess if I did just sit them on the perlite, it would work, but you wouldn't be able to double-end case them.

What the fuck? I'm putting holes in jars with wicks! I need to learn about real casing...lol
In Tyler we trust.