Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Dunking. Pint vs 1/2 Pint jars Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Argyle the Cat (Argyle)
Username: Argyle

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 01:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all...my friend only had some spare jars so he mixed and matched pint and half pint for PF cakes. On day 5 the 1/2 pints exploded and most are already a quarter colonized, but the pint jars showed no sign of anything...same spores...any reason the pint jars should take longer then half pints to even show spots of fuzz? Thank you!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 03:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are twice as large is one reason.
Did you shoot the solution all the way to the bottom
of the pint?
Did you make a 1/2 pint cake in the pint jar?
You risk contams catching up if you didn't make allowances
for the larger jar/more substrate.
Hope this helps :-)

Chill (Chill)
Username: Chill

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhhmmm,

If I wanted to provide more moisture and water to my shrooms could I use 1cc with pint jars (instead of 1/2 pints) and just let them take longer to colonize?

It seems to me that the more resources the shrooms have (water and nutrients) then the more they will produe.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Dorian Gray (Megalomando)
Username: Megalomando

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You risk contams catching up if you didn't make allowances
for the larger jar/more substrate.

What exactly are you thinking of when you say this?
Tnx

Imok Urok2 (Imok)

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If I wanted to provide more moisture and water to my shrooms could I use 1cc with pint jars (instead of 1/2 pints) and just let them take longer to colonize?

That isn't a good idea.
PF admitted he used pint jars and shot them with 3cc's
of solution, .75 per hole.
The idea is to colonize the jars quickly.
Even the PC doesn't completely get rid of all contams.
The idea is to beat back the contams to the point that your
spores get a head start to colonize the substrate so there
isn't anything left for the contams.
To add moisture to the cake, either dunk and/or DE case
in a fruiting chamber while keeping the RH as close to 100%
as you can for the best growth.

Argyle the Cat (Argyle)
Username: Argyle

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 04:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, maybe he didn't use enough solution for the pint jars...he probably only used 1/4-1/2 cc for each hole on the pints(which still show no signs), and less on the half pints (which are kicking ass)...Imok what do you mean by shoot the solution to the bottom of the jar? the tip of the syringe only reaches a few cm down the jar, just below the verm barrier layer. He thinks he might go back to half pints since he's never had much luck with colonization speed in pint jars. Thanks all!!!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The jar shooting info is in the archives but...
You tilt the jar to its side and then shoot to the outside
of the jar.
The idea is to get the solution to run both down and across
the substrate trying to get as much "exposure" of solution
to the cake as you can.
If working with full pints you might need a 3 1/2 inch
syringe to reach closer to the bottom of the side of your jar.
One source (a stealthy source at that) for the long
needles is from :http://www.printerfillingstation.com .
Or even one of those flavor injectors can be used.

big slick (Baddaboom)
Username: Baddaboom

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well anyways there's a good chance your pints will fully colonize, eventually. Besides all you really got to do is just leave em be. I myself like pints. Look at this flush 11.2 grams dried!

Upload
Everything I write is a total work of fiction

Never give up never surrender

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 14985
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 01:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

full pints do take a bit longer,
which is why it's good to use a bit ofextra inoculant to speed things along. but don't go crazy, excess water pooling in the jar is very bad.
however-
a pint should germinate every bit as fast as a half pint, size doesn't matter for germination.

that is a nice pic, slick,
but hardly typical.
do that a few more time with your coke dunk and you'll be a headliner in our archives here.

1stTimesDaBesT (1sttimesdabest)
Intermediate Member
Username: 1sttimesdabest

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 04:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is this coke dunk??? I am hearing dunking in natural water, and then in bottled water, and then in bleach. What is this man. I thought bleach would hurt the cake? Am i wrong here or what?

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very diluted bleach solution will not harm cakes. Use a 200:1 water:bleach solution. It is also a good mixture to use for misting casings.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

big slick (Baddaboom)
Username: Baddaboom

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 01:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cake that produced 11.2 grams dried pictured in previous post, was actually cold coffee dunked then it was cold coke dunked which produced 5.5 grams. here's some picks of a couple of cakes that had some contams near the verm layer but produced some shrooms invitro. Invitro shrooms harvested, contams cut off cake, 12 hour bleach dunk followed by a 3 hour cold coffee dunk. I like to put the coke can in the pick mostly cause it gives a size perspective on the actual size of the flush. My gut feeling as of now is that coffee dunks are better than coke dunks and caffinated water dunks might work well also.

p.s. I think the jar on the right needs to have bigger holes in the lid.

Upload
Everything I write is a total work of fiction

Never give up never surrender

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15041
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to coffee thread

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15042
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought bleach would hurt the cake? Am i wrong here or what?

no, pure undiluted bleach would hurt the cake,
you are quite right on that.
but properly diluted,
bleach is very useful.
see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/10346.h tml?1023795190