Inocing with karo in open air Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A Inocing with karo in open air Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Karo Tek - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

J. Clay Mcwilliams (Jclaymcw)
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 01:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will contams be a problem if I inoc jars with karo water in open air??

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 01:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you make sure you have a clean enviroment, and your karo jars
have polyfil or filter plugs and you follow the normal sterile
innoc method of shooting up jars then you should be ok.
Otherwise, if you have to open the lid of your karo jar then
you need to fill the syringe in a glovebox.
Hope this helps :)

ratdog (Ratdog)
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 05:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been doing my karo jars using the oven tek, as long as you use common sense sterility procedures, you shouldnt have a problem.

1. Open oven door, pull out rack.
2. Turn oven on to 250F-300F.
3. Wait untill hot air is pouring out of the oven.
4. Completely wipe your entire sterilized karo jar with IPA.
5. Remove the ring/band from the top, leave the lid, gently slide the lid over a few mm, then stick in the needle and innoc/suck.
6. Slide lid back into place
7. Replace band

I've had 0contams using this method, but then again your milage may vary.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oven Tek Sucks!!!

The Admin and all the mods here, along with nearly every senior member of this site will agree with me.

Oven Tek is "smoke and mirrors", the theory sounds plausible until you actually smoke the air currents around the oven rack, you will find the moving, unsterile, air sweeps into the work.

A cardboard box sprayed with lysol, the front draped in plastic sheet is far far better. Wear some rubber gloves, work under the plastic

It is too hot this time of year to slave in front of an oven in any case

stephan (Notsuoh99)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nan - I live in a tiny apt & do not have room for much equipment (i.e. glovebox, etc). I have had good results doing the Karo Tek inside a 1 gallon (or larger) zipper lock plastic bag (the store brand is fine).

Get the plastic bags that have a zipper device.
Spray the inside of one lightly with Lysol.
Put the jar (half pint short or tall) containing your
pc'd Karo mix inside the bag along with sterilized
syringe - (I leave the cover on my needle).
Seal it up.
Then manipulate everything thru the plastic -
kind of like a glove in reverse.

You can see everything, feel everything & move everything in a sterile environment that is completely disposable (or re-usable if you are REALLY frugal).

exile (Exile)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 02:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephan, you are a genious. I must try that soon.

Exile

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 03:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bags are sterile out of the box even, no need to spray the bag, just the stuff you put in

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 03:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this idea! Perfect for us New Yorkers

joey ramone (Joey99652)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 04:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol you know nan i quoted u as sayin that a time ago in another oven qeustion and everyone just dismissed it and kept on suggesting ways to use the oven, i geuss its all in who says it

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 01:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i find it easiest to just put a polyfil plug in the lid of my karo jars.
that way i can easily just slide a needle in/out thru the plug with no need for an oven, glovebox or baggie.
but take care not to slosh karo on the polyfil.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 01:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, here's photo proof that oven tek does not prevent contams from entering a jar- note where the smoke goes...

oven_bunk

The artist formerly known as guzzler (Heebeejeebee)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 03:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awsome idea Stephan!!! I gotta try that

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 04:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See that curl and twist back into the jar? Proof positive that Oven Tek is bullshit. The locations where the air shifts directions rapidly are right over the mouth of the jar! These changes in the air current direction are the precise time when contams get thrown out of the air stream. The contam spores will then drop right into the mouth of the jar.

stephan (Notsuoh99)
Posted on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 01:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel your love! Thanks guys! Lurker, even we Texans are running out of space!

mntlfngrs (Mntlfngrs)
Posted on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 06:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For that matter if your not (I hope) reusing the bags, couldn't you just put jar in bag and poke needle through? I have also been experimenting with using latex glove loosely over lid with band screwwed down over that. poke throughte glove and it (basicly)reseals itself.

Karna (Karna)
Posted on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 11:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if you do use the much-maligned oven tek, at 250-300F you're gonna be roasting!!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 01:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
good point

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 10:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey friends,
I'm about to try to make up my first jar of Karo Tek-I received my syringe of Hawaiians today and went right out and bought Karo. My question is this: Any problem with using a Magic Micron filter instead of a lid on the Karo jar? That way, I could put it into a big ziplock and put the needle right through the filter and then tape over the hole. Thanks!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 01:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey lurker,
Drill a hole in a jar lid, put the karo and water in, put the
filter either over the hole in the lid or cover the entire opening
of the jar with it and then put the lid on the jar.
Steam the jar for 20 min (or pc it) and then you don't need to
use a ziplock, glove box or anything else.
Just keep the needle clean, shoot the karo thru the filter
and when the jar is ready you clean the needle, poke it
thru the filter and draw up the solution.
Pollyfill is cheaper and you can use it the same way.

See Polyfill

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 01:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Imok! I'm secretly thrilled to have been helped by you-my favorite Mycotopian helper. One follow up question: Should I tape over the hole that the needle makes in the filter disk? It seems that there would be a lot of room for contams to get in if not. Thanks!!!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 03:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if you test one it should be self healing.
I think they are using tyvek as their filter material.
You might check the site where you got them to be sure though.
That is an advantage of the pollyfill, self sealing as well as cheap.
(never thought i'd have a fan club )

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 02:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my filter disks aren't self-sealing at all,
better tape over any hole you make.
that's why i prefer polyfil.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hip, thats why I told him to check :)

lurker (Lurker)
Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oven Tek Myth
:)