My Greenhouse Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. My Greenhouse Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 12, 2004SweetnessHippie325 1 03-12-04  03:12 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been using the digtal $15 Wal-mart thermometer/hygrometers for a very long time now, and they have never failed me. They always give very good results for a good price. Not once had a problem with them.

Very nice job sweet. You will enjoy the ease at which the setup can be used very much. :-)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy Sweetness!
Looks like you have a success on your hands.
I'm still curious how long the ultrasonics last.
I still keep going back to my ole Koolmist cause my water seems to screw up the ultrsonics.
Nice work!
Thanks for sharin,

Roc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 15626
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

my water seems to screw up the ultrsonics.

gotta used distilled in those...

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey HF, I'm having trouble finding a timer that provides the on/off functions I need. What's your brand?

*And without a thought of the consequence
I gave in to my decadence* Pink Floyd

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind, I see it in the link to your set up. Didn't see it in the list of materials but think I can find it by the pic. I thought the one I bought at Lowe's would do the job but it's very limited in functionality.

Meihoe (Meihoe)
Advanced Member
Username: Meihoe

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this set-up provide ample air exchange from the pressure coming from the humidifier? Do you ever have to do any extra fanning? How big of an opening do you need in the greenhouse, and where should it be located?Thanks
Atheism Cures Religious Terrorism!

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the digital timers available at walmart. They can be set to go by the minute, which is whats needed.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The humidifier provides plenty of air exchange to keep it closed for a week or more at a time. Fanning once or twice a week is not a bad idea though.

They dont need to be sealed up at the bottom, and no extra holes are needed in them. If you dont seal it at the bottom, make sure the cover reaches completely down to the plastic, otherwise it will be hard to keep the humidity up. If your plastic doesnt reach down that far, then its best to lightly seal it.

Synesthesia (Synesthesia)
Username: Synesthesia

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a setup similar to that and have everything on a timer. I have a cloth tent that's the double wide one. I lined the inside with painters plastic and stuck one of those plano plastic shelves inside. I have the same ultrasonic as sweet, but it's inside. For incubation I use a vicks steamer controlled by an in line thermostat(thank you maliki). It keeps the temp and humidity right where it needs to be. For fruiting I use the ultrasonic inside the tent. I have two timers so it is automated 24/7. I run the ultrasonic for 10 mins every hour and 15 mins. The humidity gets up to 100%, but that's alright, as it it not sustained constantly. I have a small fan on a timer that turns on for 1 hour every 4 hours just to get a good draft going. The fan is timed so that right after it shuts off the ultrasonic kicks in. I have 4 casings fruiting right now, so the setup seems to be working good. It's taken me 3 weeks to get this correct though. I can post pics next week when I get my camera back if ya'll would like.

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can post pics next week when I get my camera back if ya'll would like.

Yes we would like!!

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HF I taped the garbage bag to the plastic cover all the way around then made adjustments for the zippers. I then cut a 1" flap out of the back, at the bottom.
The first day my trays went off, exposed to humidity and light. Still seeing white coming thru the coir but it's slowing down.
Bad overlay, scraping, dunking didn't work to produce the 2nd flush so I flipped and cased them, no scraping to the bottom to avoid more stress.
I covered them and put them back in the cabinet for about 4 days. Introduced them to the greenhouse I think Thurs.
They're coming along but I'm not seeing the growth I would like.
Maybe a cold shock?

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah the P word...

Roc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15664
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's taken me 3 weeks to get this correct though. I can post pics next week when I get my camera back if ya'll would like.

yes, please.
hard data is what we like,
very helpful to ones following in your steps.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15665
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The first day my trays went off, exposed to humidity and light. Still seeing white coming thru the coir but it's slowing down.
Bad overlay, scraping, dunking didn't work to produce the 2nd flush so I flipped and cased them, no scraping to the bottom to avoid more stress.
I covered them and put them back in the cabinet for about 4 days. Introduced them to the greenhouse I think Thurs.
They're coming along but I'm not seeing the growth I would like.
Maybe a cold shock?

whoa,
slow down.
first of all
i hope i'm misunderstanding.
let's talk a bit about overlay.
first and foremost
realize that overlay is just a minor problem,
overlaid casings will still fruit well.
so there's no cause to freak and traumatize the poor thing.
what you want to do instead
is to patch case using thin layers
while dropping the temp to slow growth.
the idea is just to keep it healthy while buying some time.
there's a slight lag before the mycellia realizes it's fully run the casing so it tends to grow out more than you might expect.
coir being slightly nutritious does not help that
as it seems to encourage the mycellia into colonizing it fully.
so use more verm instead.
when you see overlay take a sterile fork and pry open the casing a bit to loosen it [deep scratching] so it'll absorb water better
then add more verm to just cover.
not too much, a thin layer in fine.
if it rips thru that,
do it again.
i know that's against conventional wisdom
but we learned from the puerto ricans [very prone to overlay] that it works.
but don't bother doing it more than twice,
a little overlay isn't going to hurt much,
esp. if you plan on dunking to rehydrate.
because while overlay renders misting ineffective
dunking will still work fine
[all cakes have severe overlay and still fruit
and can be dunked but not misted]

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok well I already tried scratching with a fork, dunking and waiting just to see more overlay. I've already flipped them and cased with coir. White is coming thru but at a VERY slow pace. Now what?

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now be patient. a little overlay won't kill ya.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15687
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

now be patient.

word.

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/me sighs