Post your setup Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Post your setup Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Delta25 (Delta25)
Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 07:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well after moving i know longer have the super secret underground mycolagy lab. So I opted for the super secret mycolagy closet heres a pic of it http://www.geocities.com/coil1002/Untitled-1.jpg
So it got me to thinking what does every one else have going on. So post your set up's if you want

delta25

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 09:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried the link and it says the site isn't built yet.
You have to set up a home page (index.html) before it will work.
Check out Posting pics...a guide for site where you can just
put a pic and not have to build a page to do so.
Hope this helps :)

bjorn nordengen (Bjorn)
Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my grow chamber consists of a 14"x9"x7.5" not clear tupperware container, with some saran-wrap covering the top; no heating pads, no lights, i spray the sides down twice a day; it has no "spray guard"...and my first flush just came through... it's pretty good (it suits my needs) but it could'nt fit more than 5 cakes comfortably.

if mushrooms aren't picky, then why should i be?

Panogeek (Pano)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 12:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have put together what I call it the "Hippie Super Modified"! It too is stealt closet type setup. let me get some pics and I will post em in a litle while, after I find a source to upload the pics to.

The proud owner of myco.balls.com has busted me for abuse, I would guess the individual who owns the sites is way too concerned that somewhere someone is having a good time...

pano

stephan (Notsuoh99)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 01:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For comparison sake, I have several different ones going at once.

My fave for double secret closet cultivation is a clear, glass canister/cookie jar that I have had for years. It sits at an angle so the opening is more on the side than on the top. The actual top of the container is dome shaped so no drips!! The humidity stays verrrry high with little effort. It holds 3 standard brf cakes & they seem to love it.

I am searching for cheap, plastic version. I have seen them in conv stores on the counter with candy in them.

Most productive so far has been clear sterlite container (20"L x 10"H X 12"D) that is the perfect size for one lasagne-pan size casing resting on damp perlite.

steveoi812 (Ustabcidhead)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 04:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am thinking of using a 35-50 gallon rubber maid container. Or maybe several smaller ones. Wet perlite in the bottom. I am going to bolt or screw on a fluro-light to the top of the container. If I decide to use the larger 35-50 gallon containers I am going to use a large pickle jar with an aquarium heater and pump with air stones in it in order to maintain the proper humidity and tempature levels. Using standard pf classic 1/2 pint cakes. I am thinking of using the inner resoviour tek.Should I drill after birth like hip or do as the pf site states and insert a straw or pen during the preperation of the substrate?? Does anyone think that this is a bit of an overkill? If so let me know if I am doing way too much or not enough. I am open to all suggestions..OH I ATE ONE TOO.....

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 06:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Nan's post in Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms for a very simple setup.
You can use the Inner Res tek, Hip's Voodoo Tek or just Double End Case
with PF cakes which is very simple to do.
It is really up to you.
The KISS (keep it simple silly) principle is a mantra around here
Hope this helps :)

Vitti (Vitticeps)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 07:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this setup is untested with actual shrooms but it does hold the humidity plenty high and gives 3 thorough air exchanges a day.

The fan (high output 10cfm) blows air through a box of wet perlite then into the grow chamber.

The exhaust hole has a 1" plastic tube that drops down to about 1" above the perlite inside the chamber. This way the air removed is coming from the bottom rather than the top.

There is a plastic flap (just thin plastic from the packaging a timer came in and some tape for a hinge) over the exhaust hole to prevent excess humidity loss when not in operation. Gravity keeps it closed and the airflow is plenty to keep it open when operating (pic taken with fan on).

The lid seals quite well with foam weatherstripping. There is a miniature flourescent light inside.

The fan is powered by an old 'wall wart' style transformer that went with my last set of pc speakers. The fan is plugged into a digital timer set to come on for one minute every eight hours.

Because the incoming air is passing through the wet perlite it is humidified enough that there is very little loss of humidity during the one minute the fan is on. During that one minute the fan moves approx 2x the volume of air in the chamber. I say only 2x because the flow rate of the fan is restricted by the compacted perlite in the box.

I plan on taking this setup to a friend for experimentation with actual shrooms.

For now though, food for thought. :)

(sorry for the not so great pic quality, that dark blanket was a bad choice of background. too dark)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 02:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty ingenious.

Vitti (Vitticeps)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 08:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hip. I think it'll be about the most compact automated grow chamber you could build. I don't see any downfalls yet. Except maybe that the weatherstripping probably wont last long but it's cheap and easy to replace. Looks like I'll only need to add water to the perlite/air box about once a week.

It's not a cheap way to go by any means (the fan was $18 and the digi timer was $20, the rest I had lying around). But will suit the needs of the lazy who have a stealth operation quite well.

Between this and my last post that mini floro burnt out. Humidity cause it? Who knows.
I've got some super bright blue LEDs I think I'll try instead.

Delta25 (Delta25)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well vitti you sure have my vote for most ingenious set up

cold stein (Ipitythefoo)
Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 11:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very clever Vitti!

don't anyone go thinking any of that is NECESSARY though, it's ingeniously convenient and most likely very consistent, but not necessary.

a few months back i posted a few pics of a setup i made from a digi timer and a humidifier with split output to evenly distribute the humidity to four medium sized clear rubbermaids with pvc running through to evenly distribute moisture like a misting system. when i posted my new setup i was expecting a standing ovation, what i got was one hand clapping.

i do have a point, and here it is:
i realized shortly after building it that my newly "simplified" setup wasn't as simple as it could be. i now have 8 20x16x8 clear rummermaids that fit nicely under my bed with a four foot flourescent running down the middle. hydrocorrels (~perlite) humidify the terrariums and i fan once or twice a day. no type of sealant for rim of the lids, misting only required after fanning and i live in the dryest climate there is.

i get better results from these than the more complex setup did, but by all means get creative if you've got the time & $. i had a lot of fun building my last setup and it looked really tek, now it looks great in the corner of my garage.

Vitti (Vitticeps)
Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed cold stein. Not at all necessary but my situation is a bit unique and if I am to grow agian it is closer to necessary. I am not home often enough to grow, 10 days or less per month average. I could do invitro but even then I don't care to grow here. I share a house with my sister and her kids and she would not approve and I don't want to put them at risk for my enjoyment. But I have a friend willing to house and maintain a setup as long as the maintenance is very very minimal. When I gave up growing I gave him all my setup and taught him the basics. He got 2 good flushes and then grew bored with the process. Started fanning 2-3 times a week rather than per day. Needless to say it didn't work out after that. But if he only had to pay attention to it every other day or so for harvesting and once a week for water he'd be more likely to do well.

So for the average joe's situation this would be too small and too expensive for it's size but for me it may just be the answer I needed. :)

Panogeek (Pano)
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 12:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie Super Modified

This setup is 14" wide and just as deep as my closet allowing stealt capability. It was made from an old portable closet frame cut to fit the hanging closet I got at Kmart for $12.00.

Attached is the 1 1/2 inch tubing from the turbo charged cool mister thru a hole in the upper side of the plastic.

The air/mist flow is impressive. Air exchange can be done in about 1 minute. There is so much airflow that it creates a moist "air curtain" when the opening is unzipped. I hope this will catch any contams before they can do there sex thing.

The cool mist has a 1:200 bleech solution in it and works fine.

The turbo unit has a hepa filter. you can find them a wallyworld for about $14.00.

The turbo is a high volume muffin fan I got from work mounted under the filter.

The turbo box is coupled to the cool mist via a 1 1/2 inch tube. The stock fan has been removed from the cool mister.

This setup allows for high volume air exchange with or without the coolmist turned on. This allows me to very closly regulate the environment inside.

pano

groingrinder (Groingrinder)
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 03:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice Pano. What department do I find these hepa filters in?

Panogeek (Pano)
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 04:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found them in the vacuum cleaner dept at Walmart, the later in the air purifier department at Kmart. Both types were 99.97 percent efficient.

Vitti (Vitticeps)
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 10:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the exact same filter I used on my positive pressure glovebox. Same sorta setup. I think the filter was about $15. It's made for a vacuum cleaner but a little glue and it suits our needs just fine. :)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 11:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking good,
i love my new set up too.
my cased rye looks great!!

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good call, imok.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: