Archive through March 12, 2004 Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. My Greenhouse Archive through March 12, 2004 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using HF's guideline for his GH, mine is finally assembled and ready.
Link
Adjustments were as follows:
I used 2" PVC pipe
As info if the humidifier is on the floor as mine is temporarily, a 47" piece of pipe is the perfect length for this model greenhouse. The top piece is 2' long.
No Reducing Coupling was used at the humidifier since the 2" pipe fits so snug, I don't even need plummers goop to seal it. Didn't use sealant at the T Coupling either, just pushed it in nice and tight.
I did not need a hacksaw, just a friend with one. hehe
I enclosed the bottom with garbage bags. Layed 2 of them on the floor, taped them together then folded them up and taped to the bottom of the plastic greenhouse cover. Instead of cutting holes in the sides for C02 escape, I will leave the back open. The inside pressure should be enough to keep dust at a minimum.
The timer will plug into the wall of course, I just set it on top to show in the pic.
The temp/humidity gauge was purchased at a pet store and is mounted inside.
And I didn't think I could do it myself... Ta freakin Da!!
Upload
Upload

The pic isn't so great but this is the inside view.

Upload

*And without a thought of the consequence
I gave in to my decadence* Pink Floyd

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SAAAWEEEEET!!!! thats freakin Beautiful Sweetness!! glad it worked out for ya. :-)

fahtty
says: hello :-)

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lovely sweet, wanna come over and build me one? :-)
Green is the colour of her kind.

-Pink Floyd

Astro (Astrocreep)
Username: Astrocreep

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent job
i'm jealous...
Only time will tell...

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, a big thanks goes to you Faht, as well as those who have gone before us and reduced it down to such and easy project. Once I had the materials it took about 30 minutes to slap it together. Man, did I procrastinate this!! Now I could kick myself, it was soooo easy!

grimble g grumble (Grimblegrumble)
Username: Grimblegrumble

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice, i especially like the way you mounted your instruments
So it goes...

harry m stevens (Rockawayrooms)
Username: Rockawayrooms

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

super duper job sweets!!
her face is cracked from smilin
all the tears that she's been hidin
and she wonders pretty soon if
everybody's gonna mellow!!!l.zeppelin

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet, you will be delighted with the results. It is easy and the BEST setup around! I am curious how you plugged the end where it tees. It looks like duct tape. I would suggest getting a stub and an end plug. Duct tape loses its glue from moisture.

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't they used to patch navy boats with duct tape? hehe but yeah it may be a good idear. I use duct tape... all hail DUCT TAPE!!!! I woulda used an end but i couldn't find one at home dePOT. :/

fahtty

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool i built one right after HF showed it.
instead of "plugging" then end where it T's... just buy a "L" joint instead of a "T" joint. then later when you have 2 greenhouses, just slip on the T.

also Sweet I see moisture droplet's occuring on the top of your GH. just grab that pipe, and turn it slightly so it face's the back a little more... and the dropplet's will cease.

as for the "ending" of the pipe, i sealed it up with a cap and silicon glue.

to raise the humidifier off the floor, i just used the box it came with, taped it up, and set it on there.

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Grimble
Hey I_Am, maybe we could work something out in the Market Place forum
That's duct tape on the T. Good suggestion on using an L for now and adding an end cap. I discovered I needed one after the fact.
Thanks for the tip on turning the pipe back slightly too.
I was surprised at not needing any sealant on the project, atleast not for the time I ran it.
Now on to accomplishing the REAL 'fruits' of my labor.
Have some popcorn trays I'm nursing into their 2nd flush. Hopefully this greenhouse will spring to life here shortly.
Again, I really do appreciate the support.

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 932
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woot woot!! man, im soooo happy today!! :-)

fahttyheadfred

Odin 13 (Putneyswope)
Username: Putneyswope

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The greenhouses tend to rust alot over time. Every so often, I tear it down and sanitize with bleach solution, allow it to dry and then hit it with spray paint. Mine is set up over bare concrete, so I didn't bother taping up the bottom. I've gone the pure and simple route of just having the humidifier sitting inside. Plastic cable ties are a great way to attach the sheeting to the pipes.

Even though this is similar to my first setup, I started building my own greenhouses out of plastic racks, pvc pipe, and plastic sheeting. It ends up being cheaper. A small fan also helps when you need too keep co2 levels down to induce pinning. Nothing fancy, small muffin fans are fine. I usually put them on the floor and zip the flap down to the top of the fan.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

odin i'd like to see a pic of one of your greenhouse if ya got one...

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 15167
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mine is set up over bare concrete, so I didn't bother taping up the bottom. I've gone the pure and simple route of just having the humidifier sitting inside. Plastic cable ties are a great way to attach the sheeting to the pipes.

Even though this is similar to my first setup, I started building my own greenhouses out of plastic racks, pvc pipe, and plastic sheeting. It ends up being cheaper. A small fan also helps when you need too keep co2 levels down to induce pinning. Nothing fancy, small muffin fans are fine. I usually put them on the floor and zip the flap down to the top of the fan.

i'd love to see some pix and also know the timer schedule that runs on, both hunidifier and fans.
your set-up sounds almost exactly like my first attempts but i only enjoyed limited success, i guess i never quite got the fan/humidifier timing quite right as i alternated between flooding the place or my stuff drying out quickly.

so i eventually got rid of the fan and pulled the humidifier out and just piped in the mist instead.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15168
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

nice write-up, sweetness.
what's your humidity average at top ?
bottom ?
what's your timer schedule ?

Odin 13 (Putneyswope)
Username: Putneyswope

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas, my digital camera leaves alot to be desired as it was new in the mid 80's! It would require setting up a bank of floods for illumination to even give a blurry, dark washed out look at empty setups. My first greenhouse was a 2 tier from Big Lots! purchased for under $15. I also break lots of rules by using the Kaz steam humidifiers. They are quite cheap, I see them all the time under $10. My setup is usually in the corner of the basement, so the steam helps hold up temps. I monitor temps and humidity w/ the common electric thermometer/hygrometer sets found in the hardware stores, running the humidifier for 12 minutes every 3 to 4 hours. The setups were never automatic, I would also hand mist w/a spray bottle 2 or 3 times a day. I also have a water hose hooked up to the utility sink w/ a tee fitting, which has one of the spray mist fittings attached. Most everything I use was/is stuff laying around the house as money is tight. As you can see, I didn't rely on the humidifiers to generate all of the humidity. Like Hip says, it's pretty hit or miss. Living in a state that is quite humid in the summer also helps out, but just keeping the plastic sprayed down in the setup seems to be the key to any success I've had. My latest experiment is using the soil heating cables sold in the garden store as supplemental heat under the pans during the spawn run phase. I was getting complete run through of the compost within 3 to 5 days, but this also seemed to give trich the opportunity to gain the upper hand. As for building my own greenhouses, the 1/2" pvc piping, plastic bread trays/soda carriers and 4 mil sheeting work great. you merely figure out a pattern to cut the sheet to before you begin, to cut down on the number of seams, then attach the sheeting to the frame with the cable ties. I'm not condoning the pilfering of the bread trays/soda pop carriers, but the local bottlers around here aren't on good terms w/ each other, and throw the competition's trays in the dumpster when they end up with the other guy's supplies. I make a dumpster run, and get what I need, some good old recycling at the personal level!

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 03:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My setup is usually in the corner of the basement,

I'd sure love a basement!
- Confucius

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

what's your humidity average at top ?
bottom ?
what's your timer schedule ?

Will know here shortly Hip. I still have to work those things out. Have 5 trays to start with so only need to use one shelf. I'll follow up with comments soon as they go in and I work out the details.

Sweetness (Sweetness)

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend when drilling the holes to make the V pattern wider so the vapor travels more out than up. I will be getting another 2' piece, making this correction and replacing the one I have. I also bought a 12' rope light to add on when I use more than one shelf.

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great minds think alike sweet.. i just bought a 'blue' rope light, even if it doesn't do much for the mushies,,, it'll be easier to see in there. im sure they will add a little heat also. :-)

fahtster

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15358
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should look cool too.

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I"ve been wanting to take these rope lights I have in my office because they just look so cool too. I think I'll take em home today.
Green is the colour of her kind.

-Pink Floyd

Nerobanchee (Nerobanchee)
Username: Nerobanchee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetness,
I would be careful with the temp/humidity gauges' accuracy... I used to work at a petstore and I have rarely, if ever, seen good quality gauges sold in them... I would recommend running a few tests or doing research on that brand before trusting it with your project... Most of the cheap thermometers and hygrometers are just simple metal springs that expand or compress when the temperature or humidity changes giving you an inaccurate reading... those are the ones that you want to watch out for. The good ones are usually analog (not digital) and usually have a calibration screw (hygrometers) so you can correct the humidity level if needed... (here is a decent one I found online that is still pretty cheap: http://www.platinumhumidors.com/details/analog_br. htm I know the price for the more "basic" gauges is tempting... but for temp/humidity gauges, you get what you pay for.

p.s. nice setup

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15408
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed,
we have some good info in the archives here
on hygrometers, some good sources, too.
see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/4829.ht ml