The Toxic species list at last Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads The Toxic species list at last Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=833739&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

mjshroomer

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Well with the season soon upon us and many innocent shroom investigators out and about I thought that I had posted this a few days ago and it seems to have disappeared. So I am reposting it again here now.

In five parts in one post. Why they came out in different sizes is beyond my comprehension. Read and learn. Sorry about the odd sizes of the five sections needed to post this

Quote:

Mj

And remember not to eat any mushroom you find without having a trained mycologist identify it for you. And please be careful.

Have a shroomy day
and
May the Shroom be With You

http://mjshroomer.yage.net
http://psychedelicart.yage.net

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by ToxicMan

Quote:

You just hadda know I'd want to chime in on this thread.

Overall, good article and excellent post. It lists the important poisonous mushrooms, and separates the potentially deadly from those which "merely" sicken (if you've spoken with poisoning victims then you know why I put merely in quotes). I do think it somewhat minimizes the risks for a few species, so I will mention them.

Contrary to the article, there was a fatal poisoning due to Lepiota josserandi in 1986 in the US (J.H.Haines, E.Lichstein, and DGlickerman, "A Fatal Poisoning from an Amatoxin-containing Lepiota", Mycopatholologia (1986) 93(1):15-17). Admittedly, this is the only fatality I am aware of in the US, but we have the same deadly species here as over in Turkey (14 fatalities in 1988 due to Lepiotas), so people should remember that small Lepiotas are very dangerous and should never be eaten. (None of them are active anyway).

Poisoning due to Gyromita esculenta seems to be almost dismissed as being due to individual sensitivity. This is definitely untrue. The difficulty with methylhydrazine (the main poison in false morels) poisoning is that there is a small difference in the dosage that causes symtpoms and the dosage that kills. In monkeys, 5mg of methylhydrazine only causes vomiting, 7mg is lethal. This is why a group of people who eat the same batch of mushrooms at the same meal can see one die, one sick, and others with no symptoms at all. When you throw in the fact that crops of mushrooms can vary considerably in the levels of toxin (more than a ratio of 6:1), we get a situation where someone can pick and eat them for years without harm then suddenly be fatally poisoned by them. There are treatments (drying, parboiling) which can be done to false morels to remove almost all the methylhydrazine, but they don't affect the carcinogens. How bad the carcinogens are has not yet been studied.

Dismissing the toxicity of Paxillus involutus at the end of the article seems bad, considering that it has caused several fatalities. Admittedly, the acute autolytic anemia it causes is rare, but nobody knows what sets it off yet.

The main message I would send to those hunting psilocybin containing mushrooms is that they should get to know and be able to identify Galerina marginata, G. autumnalis, and the similar Galerina species which are the ones most commonly confused with Psilocybes (that's ID to genus, not to species).

Again, good article. Just the sort of thing to help reduce the number of people who might end up in an emergency room because they ate the wrong thing.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by mj

Quote:

Below on the top half of the image we have here the deady species Galerina autumnalis and on the bootom half of the image a small colony of Psilocybe cyanescens. See how the tops of the caps can resemble each other macroscopically bu their color and sometimes even the Galerina caps will turn upward and curl like the P. cyanescens.

Minor diferences are that the stems on the Galerinas are orange-cinnamon colored and they have an orange ring on the stems and orange-cinnamon colored gills while the P. cyanescens has a pure white stem which stains extremely blue when handled with chocolate to purple-brown spore deposit and gills.

Quote:

The 2nd imaged shows Galerina venenata in a lawn at Southcenter in Tukwilla, Washington and a several feet away on the same lawn in the bottom half of that image is a small colony of Psilocybe stuntzii. Differences are again Galerinas have orange-cinnamon colored gills and stem and an orange colored ring and no bluing while the Psilocybe stuntzii has a white to straw colored stem with a blue ring around the top portion of the stem and some bluing on the stem or blue-green along the edges of the caps.

Quote:

The third image posted directly below is the deadly species Conocybe filaris

Quote:

I would also like to point out that Some lepiotas picked jin and around Gainesville, Florida are the number one toxic mushroom collected accidently by young adult shroomers while looking for Psilocybe cubensis. It is the number mushroom in Florida to be accidently consume resulting in emergency room treatments. This was verified years ago by the Atlanta Poison Control Center and by Steven Peele of the FMRC.

mj

Have a shroomy day
and
May the Shroom be With You

http://mjshroomer.yage.net
http://psychedelicart.yage.net

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: