My little glovebox. . . . Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. My little glovebox. . . . Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

1stTimesDaBesT (1sttimesdabest)
Username: 1sttimesdabest

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, i was wondering what you thought of "my little glovebox". I went out and bought a RM clear container. I then bought some dishwashing gloves, large. I also then proceeded to cut out two large holes in the bottom of the RM. I then cut out the bottom to two tupperware containers(I used the lid to outline the whole, which allowed for me to use the base as an attachment).
What i do pretty much is just put everytihng in there that I am going to use; syringe, verm, jars. . . . and then spray the living hell out of the entire setup with lysol, including the top of the container which is off at the time. I then put the top back on, lach the sides and then let it sit for about 15 min. I then proceed to do whatever i want.
Does this sounds like a good setup/plan? Comments . . . Upload
Upload
Upload

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice.. have you tried it out yet? :-)

fahtster
says: hello :-)

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look at the latches closely, they might have a slit in them where they close, allowing air to move in and out.... you might try crumpling some saran wrap around the edges, then close the lid.
looks good!
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, I noticed that myself when working in the glovebox. I think next time I'm going to wad up some seran wrap and clog up the slits. Also, I just used it tonight(as you can see the stuff is all in there), for making a tupperware jar:-). I took a pint and 1/2 pint jars, filled them with PF tek sub, then PC for 40 min. I then proceeded to put a few cups of verm in the microwave(for bottom and top layers) for 4 min. I then seran wrapped the top of the container and put into fridge to cool. Once everything was done and cooled down, I put it all into my glovebox(used a Karo juice syringe with about 3 CC's), and proceeded to open the jars and empty them into the round tupperware(held 1 pint easy with bottom layer of verm and top). I then put the lid on the tupperwareand innoced through 4 holes in the top of the lid. I have it sitting now in my incubating closet at 85F. I'm hoping thise will make for a much better growing surface and more nutrient to use. I am still trying to decide if i should take off the top layer of verm when i birth it and just add a casing layer of 60/40 coir/verm. But I don't think it would really be a BIG deal, and plus there might be pins forming on the top or bottom. We'll have to wait and see.

jackjoe orangejohnson (Jjoj)
Username: Jjoj

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might want to think about punching another hole in the side and hooking up a PC fan with an electrostatic filter. what this will do is create a positive pressure environment so clean air will consistantly move in while the air that's already in the box will get pushed out. reduces your chance of airborne contamination a lot, and even more so if you're worried about an improperly sealed box.

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ's right, that's why I've got on mine - I bought it, instead of making it, I'm sure you saved a heap, but scope out Triple Helix Spores' design, they incorperated a filter and a fan on the end of the box. Punch a hole in the end of the box, put a fan in the hole to stimulate airflow, cover the main entry point with a filter that can be sprayed down with lysol. The fan sucks air in through the filter and pushes it out the seams of the box that are easier to push things through than the filter. It makes sense if you see it - scope it out.
Hi-ya!

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah, nice work though, looks real nice.
Hi-ya!

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you look, his gloves are attached to the box, meaning it's a sealed glove box. if he used a fan/filter, then the hand holes should be open. the fan/filter might causes more headaches than anything...
for your first time 1sttimedabest, you might not want any air flow/currents.

read here http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/58262.html

(Message edited by suckerfree on April 02, 2004)
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, to tell yall the truth, I was going to put a computer/electroc fan in the box, and put a dusk mask over itto allow for filtering, but I didn't have the money yet. This was a $10 glove box(if even that) and to add that fan would make it probably a $15-20. I will, in time of course, add this into my GB. Also, about the arm holes not being attached to allow for the air to come out. . . that would work great if you say had 2 fans, much stronger air flow. With only one fan, you would want the arm hoples to be closed, but all you have to do is just close up the arm holes, and leave the cracks between the top lid and so forth, and that will allow for the airflow. This would also allow for less chance of contam, becuase of the smaller space the air must stravel through.

Burnt (Burnt)
Username: Burnt

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey man that looks fine you dont gotta get too crazy in my opinion when it comes to glove boxes. its more your technique then anything. when we do agar transfers and innoculations etc we just use an open tub with gloves, an alcohol burner and some various chemicals to clean stuff. ive worked in professional flow hoods and done things right out in open and avoided contam more on technique then anything. learn the sterile technique get effecient with how ur hands will move and flow during the procedure and youll be straight.

Burnt (Burnt)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

o yea i forgot to mention lysol kinda sucks in my opinion. some people i know have done experiments testing how various cleaning agents killed bacteria and molds and lysol was terrible. its a selective cleaner lysol it only kills certain germs it sais 99.9% on bottle but their definition of germ is like a couple things. bleach is the big killer and rubbing alcohol is good to sterilize ur gloves etc.

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, do a bleach spray of the entire box? wouldn't that leave it kinda wet inside?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 16636
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

indeed it would,
but at least it's not explosive/flammable
like lysol or isopropyl,
which also leave the box wet.
the guys are right on
about air flow in gloveboxes,
that is better left out.
a glovebox by its' very nature is a still air environment.
if you want posi pressure then you want
a flowhood,
which is a bit different than a glovebox.
some folks try to cut corners
and create a hybrid posi-pressure box
but unless the filter is a true HEPA
which requires a pretty big fan motor,
then it's better left out.
and if you have a true HEPA and appropriate motor,
flowhoods are much easier to work in front of
than are gloveboxes to work inside.

as for the wet inside,
just leave a few clean paper towels in the glovebox when you load it up
to sop up excess fluids.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 16637
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Burnt (Burnt)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just whipe the bleach down a bit with a paper towel but it doesnt really matter its bleach its evaporating soon as u let it set out like that killing everything it touches. i think alot of emphasis is put into building rather complex gloveboxes but its really more technique then anything that reduces contams. ive found its more of a hassle to have to stick your hands into some box thats all air tight and knock jars over etc.thats more likely to cause contams because its all fumbling around surfacse touching surfaces. its better to just be able to get the procedure down quick and effeciently practicing sterile technique.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 16668
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

its bleach its evaporating soon as u let it set out

um, not to be quarrelsome
but it's mostly water and won't evaporate quickly.

i don't know where you're going with the rest of your comment but i urge anyone who wants to make their own syringes to make a decent glovebox/flowhood.
you can get by alot in open air with good cleaning but when it comes to making syringes
you just cannot be too careful.
nothing worse than whipping out a dozen syringes
and finding out the hard way
that every one was contam'd.

Burnt (Burnt)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh im sorry i wasnt making much sense last night i wasnt htinking about making syringes i was just thinking about doing grain transfer and agar transfers. which i dont think a airtight glove box is neccassary but sryinges thats different. yea hippy your rgiht about the bleach to hah i was wrecked im sorry

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippei, I'm in the archive? SWEET! :-) And, I built this GB because of the need to make prints and syringes. I am hoping that my little glovebox will work. Next time also, I'll use the bleach solution. I was wondering though, what should the mix be? 1:200 like normal? or stronger?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 16683
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a bit stronger to disinfect surfaces,
50:1 or so
not too strong though
or it hurts your nose/eyes/lungs

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok thank you verdy mooch.

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie, where is this in the archives? Tryin to find it, makes me feel special.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 16861
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is WHAT ?
have you met our
SEARCH ENGINE,
linked at page top right ?