Ionizer project Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads » Ionizer project « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

dj benzi (Cybe)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

has anyone ever tried making an ionizer using a 7500v neon transformer like the one listed in the archives. i'm wondering if it's legit or not or should i just spend the xtra cash and bid for one on ebay.

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read some seriously bad things about that one.
I wanted to do it too but after the thought of messing with that much juice and leaving it alone for even a few hours at home scared me. Seriously, DO NOT DO IT!! I was on a mj cultivation site and ran across a link to a site that had ones for $50 or just do the Ebay thing. I'll try and find it but it was a LONG time ago.

Psilocin420 (Psilocin420)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 06:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one here... 7.5kV, with a glass jar wrapped in foil... its not BS, its a large open air capacitor. As the electricity travels between the dielectics (the foil layers) it creates O^3... the worlds best deoderizer. If you're growing your own green buddies you can run it 15 minues every few hours and it keeps the smell down.

Eyebooger, you need to differentiate between juice and juice... yes, its high voltage, but not so much current... that's what a transformer does. It trades current for voltage. You need a high differential to drive a neon sign... or a large open air capacitor. Hell... I got a shock messing around with mine a few times. I'm here today to talk about... been shocked worse off a PC before.

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so at the risk of sounding like a know-it-all I will first apologize to Psilocin. I’m glad that you were able to construct a working model and you are still here to chat with us However, I hold a degree in electrical engineering and I am scared of these plans. A cheap (~$50) ozone generator can be bought on Ebay or from other sources found with a brief search and possibly save your life.

For those that are still interested I found the plans and will post them below. The transformer recommended is from 3-15kV. The current depends on the impedance of all the components placed on the high voltage side of the xformer. In a proper setup the jar placed within the other, larger, jar acts as the dielectric creating a very large capacitor. The impedance of this setup would be that of the foil plus that of the jar plus a bunch of other nearly negligible variables bringing the power to safe levels. However, using a jar for the dielectric without taking into account for heat, material width, material construction could lead to a fatal error. If the cup or jar were to break the only thing creating impedance would be the foil. I have never held an ohmmeter up to foil but I am guessing the resistance is on the order of maybe a few ohms. This will follow that the power this sucker is using would be equal to (in the instance of a 7.5kV xformer) 7500/~5. That’s 1.5kW of power at your fingertips. If that were to catch something on fire or were you to be near before the breaker tripped you’d be screwed. Of course there are all sorts of other things that could happen (e.g. the jars falling over (use the wood stand he recommends), something falling in, equipment failure). All of these variables are taken into consideration when a commercial UL listed and approved device is used.

I guess to make a long story short I will say this:

IF you are going to go ahead with this Cybe, use a Pyrex or canning jar for the small jar, DO NOT use a plastic container for the outer jar, and be very careful where your wire leads are going and how they are connected (PLEASE SOLDER). The instructions say you can purchase these items for ~$20 but why risk life, limb, and home for a mere $30? Thank you.

Cut from www.overgrow.com

“Contributed by greenman:

Several people have expresed an interest in the plans for a home made ozone generator that I posted a while back. This is a very simple set up that anyone can put together in five minutes after getting the parts. It works as well as the expensive units costing $600 or more but it costs only about $20 or so. The ones I made cost nothing it just depends on how good you are at scrounging. A good source for the transformer is a shop that repairs or installs neon signs. You can usually pick up a used one for next to zip. If you go past their dumpster you might see one for free. Keta says All Electronics has them for $20-htttp://www.allcorp.com Keta apparently put together one and he reports good results. They work great for me.

Here are the plans:

First you need a neon sign or similar transformer at about 6000v. You need a small glass jar and a larger jar that will hold the smaller one.The larger jar can be glass or plastic, I have successfully used a plastic cup for the larger jar but the smaller one should be glass. Lastly you need a small amount of aluminum foil and you may need a few short pieces of wire. The transformer can be as small as 3000v but the more the better up to a point. I use 7000v and that is plenty but you can use up to 15000v.

Put a small piece of aluminum foil (about 2" sq.) inside the small jar at the bottom. Cover the outside bottom of the small jar with foil so that it covers the same area as the foil inside. You can cover the whole inside and outside of the jar, that may work better but just make sure the inner and outer foil layers do not touch or come too close. Put the smaller jar inside the larger one. Connect one high voltage lead to the foil inside and the other to the foil outside. The larger jar just insulates the whole thing. I would put the whole set up on a piece of wood or other insulator. Try not to cross the wires. The bare part of the wire must touch the foil. If the insulation on the wire makes it difficult or if the wires are too short, you may use some other wire to extend them. Be sure to keep the wires as short as possible you don't want to touch them they will give you a jolt. Turn it on, you'll hear acrackling noise and if its dark you'll see a blue glow. If theres a short you may see an arc, just turn it off and separate the conductors so that they don't short out. The ozone will come out the top so don't plug it up. Ozone is a very powerful deodorizor it also tends to kill mold and bacteria but will not harm your plants. I try not to breath a lot of it though its not supposed to be dangerous in small amounts. I run it at the beginning of the dark period with a timer. I find 2 hours per day is enough but that will depend on your odor problem.”

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... obviously anytime you build something yourself you need to take precautions. Yes... the jar /could/ break and it /could/ start a fire. Or... you could blow-a-fuse/trip-a-breaker when the transformer shorts (or close enough if the impedance of the foil is as low as you predict) and the current shoots thru the roof. My point was more so that its not a life threatening bomb, and all and all, is relatively safe. Hell... cat could knock over your halogen lamp and burn down your house...

I'm a computer engineer myself, Eye, so we have a lot in common. =) Yes... you can go the safer route and buy a premade one... but if you look around you could do this for <$20... and I've never had a safety problem. But, its all just my $0.02... take it for what its worth.

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

> Hell... cat could knock over your halogen lamp and burn down your house...

True, true

I've spoken my peace, be careful

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting.
but also be aware of yet another danger-
high levels of ozone are bad for you.

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True hippie... but that's why I'd recommend running it on a timer, for 15mins at a time. It did a pretty good job covering up a grow room for me once upon a time... ran it for 15mins every 2hrs. Works for a grow room where you have lots of ventilation...

dj benzi (Cybe)
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright. thanks for all the great feedback. what do you all think about this little treasure that was waiting for me in my inbox this morn..

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1760826583&ed=1030650308&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOA:US:2>

..?

only ten dollar, make me hala.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Works for a grow room where you have lots of ventilation...

growers i know set it up so the ozone generator aka ionizer turns off and then fans kick on
to ventilate the grow room before they enter,
dispersing the ozone to safe levels.
archive material

Derby (Derby)
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 02:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once considered buying an Alpine unit for my allergies. When our dog got hit by a skunk we borrowed one and it did the job. We ended not buying it, it was like $400 or something, just too much money. Anyway, they recommended keeping it on all the time, I guess it's ok in a well ventilated area not in a closed grow room situation.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 04:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to produce ozone....yes, I would be careful, it is not good for you to breath. If you want to use the Ion for cleaning out contaminants, it must be a dual element type like FMRC sells. This unit produces such low levels of ozone, it is not a problem. The dual element type removes .001 micron...no HEPA filter or any other device can come close. It cleans 1,500 cubic feet of room! FMRC's unit uses 1 1/2 watts. Cost about $1.00 a year to run all the time, it is EPA registered. $40.00 for each unit, no other hidden charges. slp/fmrc

Derby (Derby)
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 06:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm going to check that out!!!

dj benzi (Cybe)
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"dual element type"? so.. you're saying the one i bought may not do the trick?

Elevated (Elevated)
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does O3 have any adverse affects on shrooms?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: