Hominy and Worm Pooop growlog: Strain? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food The Hominy project. Hominy and Worm Pooop growlog: Strain? Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

mamahuhu (Iamrobot)
Username: Iamrobot

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, This was my first time dealing with hominy, as well as a first for making a large casing.
What was done:
Upload
1. Colonized PF Jars loaded and mixed with PC'd hominy (washed, dried, and PC'd for nearly two hours) in a plastic bag with polyfil patch.
Upload
2. After a week or more the hominy is colonized and chunky.
Upload
3. A turkey tin is made up with pasteurized worm castings (3 qt.) and the quart of hominy. Notice that the hominy is rather chunky, pieces were broken apart by hand, however not down to single grains.

Upload
4. After a week of incubating premature pins form in certain spots on the poop. A thin casing layer of 60/40+ is applied, as per recommendations on this board. http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/127954.html?1080372303
5. After a couple of days we saw this.
Upload
6. This is the first flush.

Upload
Like most other hominy experiences i've seen here, the results are mixed. The pinset wasn't very even, although due mostly to my own error. It seems that it is hard to get the hominy to lay flat, however, care could have been taken on my part to break up the chunks more to ensure an even layer. Also, the strain was unknown to me, could have been EQ, KS, or HA...(what does it look like to you?). Additionally, the fruits themselves were pretty shorty. the largest fruit was probably only about 5 inches and 11 grams. Final weight for everything was probably around 130g. wet. Considering the amount of spawn and poop, i was hoping for better.
Also, I was wondering if this looked like rot or mold to the experienced:
Upload
It appeared around the where the bottom edges of the caps where gills were spreading out. It didn't seem to wash off, but i noticed the caps were a little deformed or indented where there was dark areas. However, these were eaten and no stomach aches occured. Hmmm, what do you think of hominy?
"Enough" is like a magic carpet; I experience "more" as a burden - Illich

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: