Horse grow tek Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Outdoor Cubie Cultivation Horse grow tek Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

k mush (Spadlishus7)
Username: Spadlishus7

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new here, came from the shroomery.
These boards seem much more civilized, so, I think I'll stay if you'll have me
I've got eight acres out in the boonies with six horses. The question I've been asking is: how do I get the horses to work for my evil, diabolical mushroom scheme?
Well, I think I've got it!!
I've been feeding them spores for the past three months.
first, I take a full print syringe, shoot it in their feed, and feed them normally.
Here are some pics of the process:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
And, there you have it!
I've allready got mycellium in some of the manure.
All we need now is some rain and humidity, and there should be mush this season.
Let me know what you think.

indicaz (Indicaz)
Advanced Member
Username: Indicaz

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol the comedy amazes me ??? you cant be for real
i gotta see this

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's for real. I just made a pile of dung that I've been watering for a few days in a cool spot under a couple trees. It allready has mycellium here and there.
Actually, I (and the few people that I've told) think it's funny too
I tried it on a small scale last season with pretty good results, so, now that I have a buttload of spores, I thought I'd go all out!

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Username: Mycophil

Post Number: 953
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds interesting .
so you shoot the spores in the grain i suppose ?
could be a nice addition to permaculture ,lol
good luck and keep us posted ,if u like
always interested to improve my gardening skills.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Mycotopia
Gotta say it, now thats some shit
archive material
Hope this helps :-)

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard that this method only works for cows because of horses stomach acids. i am curious to see your results if you can prove that wrong

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

horses don't have stomach acids, they just have a loooooonnnngggg intestinal tract.
that's why they say cubies only grow from cow, buffalo, and horse manure.
cubies seem to like cows better though
*runs off to start pricing cows*

grasshopper wilkins (Triked)
Username: Triked

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like the idea of making syringes straight out of the bag like that. what about if you shot like 40 cc's into the bag with the print in it and had 8 syringes full(except 5cc's) of sterile sterile water and just sucked the 5 last cc's out of the "spore bag"?
think it would work?
if you have some of those 3 1/2 inch needles you hardly even have to open the bag except to let the syringe tip in.
"Little boy lost takes himself so seriously. Brags of his misery, he likes to live life dangerously." -Bob Dylan

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 02:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, I use this method on all my syringes. the only REALLY important thing is sterility of the print and the foil it's on. I've found the small ziplocks to be surprizingly sterile.
I make sure I'm using the same syringe to go outside and shoot the feed every time.
I really like my syringes to be pretty dark, so I usually use one print the size you see in the pic to make no more than 2-3 10cc syringes.

Post Number: 956
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you think that could work with rabbits ?
the improved feeding tek

Albert Einstein

The AOC (Angryorangecat)
Username: Angryorangecat

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it comes to feeding your horses the spores, does it have to be sterile? I would think not, since the feed isn't, their mouths aren't, etc. You could easily make gallons of non-sterile spore water and use that instead.

If you gave them a little bit at a time, over a long period, my guess is that you'd have a higher success rate because you'd have spores in every lump of crap that came outta them.

Just speculation...

-Cat
My name is peace, this is my hour,
Can I get just a little bit of power?

grasshopper wilkins (Triked)
Username: Triked

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about feeding the horses mushrooms?
"Little boy lost takes himself so seriously. Brags of his misery, he likes to live life dangerously." -Bob Dylan

freaked out (Muffy)
Username: Muffy

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Actually, I (and the few people that I've told) think it's funny too

trust no one
Try not to become
a man of success
but rather try to become
a man of value

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You could easily make gallons of non-sterile spore water and use that instead

That is what I would do. Since you are feeding the spores to your horses, then it doesnt have to be sterile. Take several large cake pans or casserole dishes and print every cap you get onto them. You can even print on top of other prints. When the entire bottom is black, fill the pan with water, and use something to scrape all of the spores off of the bottom. You can then dilute this solution into many, many, many gallons of spore water. You would have enough to water the poo in the fields, as well as feed the spores to your horse.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that sounds good, I may try that
You really got to get the spores in the horses system, instead of just spreading over poop. The horses (and cows) insides are just the right environment for the spores to germinate and start their trippy little lives
I've also not been too worried about sterility as far as feeding the horses spores.
I also wouldn't feed them whole mushrooms (gotta save the fruits for later journies)
if rabbits don't have stomach acids (and you feed them any type of grain), it should work.

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I've taken a gallon ziplock and turned it inside out to print the inside of the bag.
in 24 hrs, I'll turn it rightside out, and put some water in it for a 60cc syringe and a quart jar of distilled water.
It's good to be with you good people, you're suggestions make me think more!

Upload

Guitjolin (Manjotar)
Username: Manjotar

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people have been talking about doing a tek like this for quite some time, i can't wait to see how it turns out, cause i am really thinking about trying something similar with cows. keep up the good work!

this one is definately going in MY archives!

(Message edited by manjotar on April 13, 2004)

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just couldn't stand it anymore!!
I made a pile o dung in a shady spot in the back yard, been watering it for a couple weeeks, and......

Upload

I've been thing of putting some solution into a spray bottle for a cow field nearby. We have an r/c flying club there, so we are allowed to walk around and look for crashed plane parts (within reason)

The AOC (Angryorangecat)
Username: Angryorangecat

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, go nuts with the spray bottle. That's my plan for the summer... actually, I'm in the NE USA, anyone have tips on where to spray besides livestock fields?
Give me convenience, or give me death!

dead diver (Dead_diver)
Username: Dead_diver

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 05:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rc flying...you could make a rc crop duster and fly over the field spraying spores

The only laws I respect are the ones which make old men and women warmer in the winter, children happier in the summer, and beer stronger. B Behan

Tepin (Tepin)
Username: Tepin

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats crazy, looks like I have some horses to vist. I got a buddy with 3 Don't think he will even know.

Anyone know if it would work for any kind of bird? don't have one just want to know....

"Hey, Guys, I Don't know whats going on..."

Cleanjar (Cleanjar)
Username: Cleanjar

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

k mush, good stuff man..

What is that cube harvest on the pink towel, are those your results from spreading cube-spores?

And also: That second picture confuses me, the one with the little cubie growing from the manure.. ??'You sprayed that thing with spores and it grew??

Also, i would have to agree, the sterility of the spores doesn't matter much once outdoors, or in such a fashion. You could probably dilute a few thick spore prints into a gallon jug of water (is what i would think).

The key (imo) is putting the spores through the animal, they have to eat them..and you would have to feed them spore solution in a consistent manner until you see results.

Neat project.

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the caps on the towel are from an indoor grow. i'm just using the spores to feed to the horses.

"And also: That second picture confuses me, the one with the little cubie growing from the manure.. ??'You sprayed that thing with spores and it grew?? "

I've been feeding the horses spores for a few months and collecting some of the dung. I made a pile of it in a nice shady spot to see what would happen. with a spray of water every day, the cubes will surface (and they are slowly). if my plan works, we'll see the feilds covered this season.

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 05:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

simple (Stymie_the_fool)
Intermediate Member
Username: Stymie_the_fool

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 05:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K-Mush Dude, you RULE!!!

Here I thought I was spending too much money on my new hobby and you go and buy a horse farm just for shrooms! Damn!!! I've gotta get the old lady to see this one! Hell, maybe she'll let me get that mini-green house now.

Thanks, K-mush Dude!

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
it's a success!!!
here's two strains on the same poo pile!!
they're growing like weeds too. now, if I can only keep the gnats off em

simple (Stymie_the_fool)
Advanced Member
Username: Stymie_the_fool

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the coolest danm thing I've ever seen.

You wouldn't be needing any farm hands, by any chance, would ya?

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like that was a nice experiment. :-) Very cool!
Life can only be as good as you imagine.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 17857
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting
you are doing it the hard way, it seems to me,
but who can argue with success ?
nice work.

k mush (Spadlishus7)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, one more before this thread dies (unless ya'll want updates every now and then)
Upload
and this is a straw pile I spawned with corn. I've been sprayin it everyday for two weeks. today, I pulled off the top layer to expose the mycellium, then layed down coir/verm and a big ole fish tank to hold the moisture in. I think I'm hooked on outdoor grows
Upload

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

far out , nice to see you did it ,or should i say the horses did it
some plantseeds need to pass through animals for better germination ,so in that aspect it's not really surprising ,but still ...great project...the horsedidittek
Albert Einstein

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18661
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

unless ya'll want updates every now and then

updates are always nice
archive material to outdoor grows

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 01:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing k mush and Welcome! This place is never boring, that's fo sho
'We are operating on many levels here.' Ken Kesey

Manjotar (Manjotar)
Username: Manjotar

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i want to see updates later in the summer!
i love this thread with my life!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: