Casing Kit log... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Logs Casing Kit log... Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 02, 2004I_am_me (I_am_me)Hippie3 (Admin)25 1 05-02-04  05:04 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 17953
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Popcorn also has the advantage of being the most available material nationwide. You can buy popcorn at the local convenience store.

yeah, i love that.
it's one thing i try to look for in 'pushing' teks, the materials need to be common, easily found. seen plenty of folks who can't seem to find rye or vermiculite, etc.
but you never hear that about pcorn.

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

no, that's not too bad
but i've seen pcorn qts finish in 7.

From spores?
Life can only be as good as you imagine.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17963
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. I feel ganged up on.

When I said the fad will be over in a year, I was referring to a year from then. We'll see in nine months if anyone is still crazy about it.

Perhaps 'popcorn sucks' was a bit harsh.

After all, I've made a lot of posts that were done with popcorn. What I mean to say is "rye is much better" as a spawn. Soliver and a few others who like popcorn, by their own acknowlegement, haven't tried rye grains, only popcorn. If one has gone from pf cakes to popcorn, that explains why they like popcorn better. No doubt as a spawn medium, popcorn is superior to cakes. However, I still stand by my contention that rye grains are far superior to popcorn.

I also was able to get a few isolated strains that would fruit invitro on popcorn. However, those same strains fruit much better invitro on rye grains.

Rye grass seed, imo, is superior as a spawn medium to rye berries. They're not just for sclerotia producing species, cubies love it. It is trickier to get the moisture content right, and the jars must be removed from the pc while still warm and shaken, or they'll clump up, even if gypsum is used.

I'm not trying to step on any toes here, just trying to help. Research is my forte, and I like to pass what I learn along. I think if the experienced growers here will do some side by side tests with popcorn, rye berries, rye grass seed and wbs, they will reach the same conclusions I have. If not, I will stand corrected.

(Message edited by skyypilot on May 02, 2004)
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread has been hijacked! Hehehe.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17982
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

they will reach the same conclusions I have.

i just don't see it happening, old friend.
i mean, why now after years of dissent among
hundreds of growers over what is the
'best' substrate.
i don't think you'll ever get agreement
as there are simply too many variables.
i know folks who SWEAR there is nothing better
than white millet,
others who like hard winter wheat,
etc.
of course we cannot forget about the various mixtures, some folks add wbs to their pcorn.
i honestly think the best option is to just lay out your evidence and leave it up for each to choose as they feel,
and accept that there really is no 'best',
at least nothing you can get everyone to agree on.

seven (Mycosev)
Username: Mycosev

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 02:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i do the same as hippie for the popcorn just throw 2 bags of popcorn in the cooker and prep it that way, but i add a 1/2 to a cup of dextrose while I'm doing the first PC then i soak over night rinse then pack into jars seems to get the water content perfect , plus the dextrose jars seem to leap into life (liquid inoculate MS)faster then the ones not treated with it. on average id get half dollar size spots in 2-3 days were the ones without dextrose took 7 days to reach the same size growth . I've done this little experiment a lot and the dextrose treated jars always beats the untreated jars , it really seems to help when i was doing spore syringes instead of liquid dex tek (karo) or agar , agar being the majority leader in how many times I've used dextrose corn supplements . if thats what U whould call it . also I've gotten invtro from corn with cams and pesa ,but i have to agree it doesn't compare to some of the other substrates as far as invitro goes.

SeVeN

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 01:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So 2 jars 100%, one jar is now at about 60-70%. Seems as if everything will turn out slow but fine.

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18110
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 02:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let them go a good long while,
so the mycellia can get strong, thick and cover as much of the grains as possible.
when you shake the grain out for use,
be sure to let it sit, covered, 24-48 hours
to 'recover' and colonize any bare grains before casing or using as spawn.

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 12:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that people spawned right out of the jar if they were spawning a bulk substrate?

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 12:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess while I'm asking questions...hehe...plan on spawning castings. I plan on either mixing in vermiculite or coir. I have both. Also will be casing with either verm or verm and coir. Would you think the worm castings would be better with coir or verm? I'm thinking coir as it has nutrients as opposed to verm. Then for the casings maybe like 70/30 verm/coir, that way the casing layer will be able to colonize well but not like it would with a mostly coir mixture. Also plan on pastuerizing the casing mixture and adding a pinch of hydrated lime. Will be spawning 3 qts substrate to 1 qt of spawn per tray.

Opinions welcomed, thanks.

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hrmph so no suggestions on if castings/coir or castings/verm would be better? I think I'll try one of each then hehe...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18320
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thought that people spawned right out of the jar if they were spawning a bulk substrate?

many do,
but you'll get few contams if you let it recover 1st.
not required but wise.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18321
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Would you think the worm castings would be better with coir or verm?

coir in the bulk sub. mix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18322
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Then for the casings maybe like 70/30 verm/coir, that way the casing layer will be able to colonize well but not like it would with a mostly coir mixture. Also plan on pastuerizing the casing mixture and adding a pinch of hydrated lime. Will be spawning 3 qts substrate to 1 qt of spawn per tray.

sounds like a decent plan to me.
good luck

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I'll try to document the process as well. Appreciate the input. :-)

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two qts popcorn spawned to 6qts castings/coir. Spawn run was 1 week. Starting pinning right at 100% colonization without casing layer, cased over pins as they were only the beginning. Couple of early fruits, lots of pins poppin up now. Hopefully it'll work out well.

Upload

Lots of small pinds you can't see in the picture. Will update as it comes...
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 04:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah one quart of popcorn got its own little one pan casing. It was cased with the same casing mix as the above tub, verm/coir with a little lime. No pins on it yet...
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19554
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking good
almost payday

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 03:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah luckily. It was the only syringe of eq so good to be able to get a print. Hehehe. Few more pics of the semi-first flush. :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload

DrEdZ (Dlox421)
Advanced Member
Username: Dlox421

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats so crazy, looks awesome man, what do you use for a tek for that?
I flip when I kick it trippin it
So I can check shit not in a daily style
But once in every while so I can
File check file check the files of my brain
Many of meaning manage to come from the insane

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19695
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thats so crazy, looks awesome man, what do you use for a tek for that?

Sup. I got the kit from triple helix spores, which was the grain presterilized and casing material. I just spawned the grain to worm castings and coir kinda like the bulk neglect report in the archives under miscellaneous teks. Pretty easy and not much upkeep. Around an ounce first flush dry from 2 qts popcorn.