My First Bulk [worm castings] Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Worm Castings My First Bulk [worm castings] Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 17280
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by LiveSquid

So I decided I want to grow those monster fruits like you see in your daydreams.. you know the ones. I figured I should start small until I know Ive got the hang of it, so I'm doing four shoebox sized trays.
If anyone has any questions, comments, criticisms, or advice, please let me hear it.

So using about 5lbs (11kg) of the locally 'grown' castings. I got a 15lb (33kg) bag for $12. Not bad I guess.

I pasteurized the castings using a pillow case and a pot of water, a la Astro. The water was heated to 159.6-162.3 for three hours.

drained it overnight on a dish rack, letting the tea drip back into the pot so I could save it. I placed a peice of plastic sheeting over it to help keep away undesirables.

The trays Im using are the super cheap ones from walmart. 88 cents each, with the lid. They only come in clear so I spray painted them on the outside so the paint wouldnt affect the substrate.

wiped them out with H2O2, and added the seed. I added the pasteurized castings, and I mixed it all up, like lime in a coconut, and lighty packed it to make it level.

So now I just stack them up in the incubator and hope, hope, hope, and do a little jig for good measure. I guess praying cant hurt, either.

each tray got about 4oz of colonized wbs.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17281
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, about 48hrs later, I check on the trays. Here is what I find:

here we go after about two and a half days

another week or so, and Ill be able to go ahead and case it.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17282
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update
container is about 2.5 inches deep, 12 long and 8 wide. Used 4oz of wbs each (half of a half-pint).

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17283
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres some updated pics:

Theres the nice fresh casing.. I shouldve taken a picture of it before I cased it.. It was truly magnificent. Ropes flying off in all directions from 5 or 6 spots in the substrate.. Damn, I wish Id taken that picture.. oh well... anyway. The next ones show the growth that I have so far in my 2 Pink Buffalo trays. I also have trays of Z and Tapalpa that I just cased.

results

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: