Mushroom Mans Sock Log Tek. Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Misc Teks & Questions Mushroom Mans Sock Log Tek. Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 17355
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by Mushroom Man

quote:

I'll try to make this easy for ya, so i'm including this list of supplies you will need to get before doing this tek.
Supplies.
Straw (Can be found at most feed stores for $4 a bale.)
Something to chop the straw.(Scissors, weed eater, lawn mower, chipper/shredder)
Colonized grain (You can use WBS, rye, or any other suitable grain)
Drainsleeve Filter Fabric Sock for Perforated Drain Pipes(Home Depot $20 for 100ft)
Insulated Cooler(For holding your pasteurizing straw)
Form to pack straw in(4in PVC pipe, or wood frame.)
Zipties(You can skip this one if you are good at tying knots)
Vermiculite(Found at hydroponic stores and nurseries)
Pillowcase(To hold straw while pasteurizing)
Thermometer(So you don't overheat the straw)
Craft Hoop(Used for stretching fabric in to stitch through. Can be found at craft stores)

The first step is to chop up your straw. You need to get the pieces of straw somewhere between 1 and 3 inches long. What I do is i use a weed eater to chop it in the bottom of a trashcan. It really shreds it, almost to the point of being straw flakes. Another way to chop it is by hand. Chopping by hand can become a real pain after a few logs. Another good way to chop it is with a lawnmower, or leaf shredder. Its not too important to get the straw the perfect size, just around the right size, you can have some long pieces here and there, doesn't matter. In the picture you see the unchopped straw on the left, the straw being chopped in the middle, and the chopped on the right.

The second step is to get the straw in a pillowcase and get it soaking in lukewarm water. You need to do a one hour soak before pasteurizing the straw. One pillowcase full of straw will be enough for 3 foot long logs. After the hour long soak, you take the straw out of the water and let it drain while you do the next few steps. First get a large insulated cooler with a lid, and pour a few large pots of boiling water in(enough to cover the straw thats draining). Then, use your thermometer to check the temperature of the water, when the temperature drops to 180, put the pillowcase of straw into the cooler, and close the lid. You might need something to hold down the straw while it pasteurizes. Once you put the straw in the cooler, you start a timer for 1 hour. After one hour, you open up the cooler and check the temperature with a thermometer. If the temperature is down to 155 or lower, add a pot of 180 degree water to bring the temp back up. If the temp is high enough, then just close the cooler and leave it for another hour to finish its full 2 hours of pasteurizing. Once the straw is done pasteurizing for 2 hours, take it out and let it drain until it cools. You can let it drain overnight if you want. Here is a picture of the straw during pasteurizing.

The next step is to toss the straw into a tub to do your mixing in, i recommend doing half a pillowcase at a time. After the straw is in the tub, you can throw in some vermiculite to add moisture, you can use anywhere up to 50% vermiculite for your logs without negatively effecting yield(it can actually yield more with verm). To get the vermiculite ready, bake it in an oven at 400F for about 30mins, then rehydrate with water.

Then, toss in some colonized grain. For every full pillowcase, you need 2 quarts of grain, and half a pillowcase is 1 quart. Make sure the grain is good and crumbled up so it mixes in good.

Then, mix it all up. The grain usually falls to the bottom of the tub while mixing so make sure to grab the straw seed mix and roll it over and mix that around to get it evenly everywhere(you'll understand when you do it).

Okay, now that its mixed real good, you can start on getting the fabric tube ready. First, cut off a section about 1 1/2 feet long.

Then tie one end, and put the hoop on the other.

The next step is to drop the fabric tube into some sort of form to hold it while packing. You can use 4in PVC pipe, or a wood form like i made. If you use a round form made of pvc pipe you can get a hoseclamp and clamp the fabric right onto the pipe instead of use the fabric hoop, it will work alot better. I used a layer of plastic with my form because i didn't want the fabric tube to touch the wood or catch on any splinters. Make sure to get the tube all the way down in the form.

Next, grab a handfull of straw and ball it up as tight as you can.

Then place the ball of straw in the opening of the tube.

And shove it down as far as you can with your knuckles Make sure to push hard and get it packed really tight, then pack the straw to the sides with your fingertips to make sure its tight everywhere.

Keep packing straw until your are a few inches from the top, then take off the hoop, and pull the log out a little bit, twist up the end of the fabric and put a ziptie on the log.

Pull it out, and you have just made your very first sock log. Congratulations!!! Now you can put the log into any terrarium for colonization.

When its done, it should look something like this.

archive material

(Message edited by admin on April 20, 2004)

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice work!
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

DrEdZ (Dlox421)
Username: Dlox421

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha noticed the little beads on some of the caps

is it as simple as it seams?
I flip when I kick it trippin it
So I can check shit not in a daily style
But once in every while so I can
File check file check the files of my brain
Many of meaning manage to come from the insane

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17370
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

noticed the little beads on some of the caps

i believe those are prolly pins for moving the caps [after cutting] to make prints.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17399
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the tubing comes in rolls wrapped in shrink wrap in the septic plumbing section of lowe's or home depot (or whatever bigass hardware store). here it is $20 for a 100'X6"dia roll. at my lowe's there was also a 10'X6"dia roll that was 10$... obviously the 100' roll is a far more economical.

seven (Mycosev)
Username: Mycosev

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you go for a 2nd are third flush with those ? and could i use just a plane long knee high socks packed into a tube for shape?
SeVeN

Nilla (Nilla)
Username: Nilla

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would find this stuff imo,my socks arnt doing that great.One is even getting cob wed mold.Rogger pointed out that this stuff is synthetic which means in realality it wont contam like a cotton sock because theres no nutes in a synthetic material.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17474
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/135613. html?1082774666

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17475
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

can you go for a 2nd are third flush with those ?

you can try,
i'd dunk.

grasshopper wilkins (Triked)
Username: Triked

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice
"Little boy lost takes himself so seriously. Brags of his misery, he likes to live life dangerously." -Bob Dylan

Nilla (Nilla)

Post Number: 671
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just did my first today.:-)
I noticed the outside of it turned a tinge yellow from the straw juices,im hopeing this does not make the theory of not contaming on the outside due to it being synthetic.My thoughts are if its a tinge yellow the material soaked up some straw nutes now making it a food source for contams to land on....but then again i worry to much.

alhred alzhared (Killvikerness)
Username: Killvikerness

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats fuckin nuts. good shit.
I remember it was here i died...by following...the freezing moon.
-Dead

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nilla, I wouldn't worry too much. The myc will colonize it before contaminant spores have a chance to land, germ, then grow. As long as you inoculated it with grain spawn, you'll be ok. They'll outrun the contaminants.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Nilla (Nilla)

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes sir,popcorn it was.
Pasturized straw with lime,verm,coir and a little bleach.the socks do some stretching,mine went from 4" to 8" after stuffing.

I will keep yall updated and throw some pics with results.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17548
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

noticed the outside of it turned a tinge yellow from the straw juices

sounds perhaps a bit overly wet ?
hopefully rodger's prediction comes true.
but i'd try to keep the fabric free of nutes if at all possible.
that's another reason to consider adding some verm/peat/coir to the straw, to sop up excess water

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17560
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one possible source for fabric tubing
http://www.carriff.com/products/products_drain_fra meset.html

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17561
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mushroom Man

quote:

I'm back with a few updates. First, it seems that the sock logs need either vermiculite in them, or on them like a casing. I've done a side by side test of two logs, the cased one(not made with vermiculite in it) has finished flushing with a massive yield, and the uncased(no verm inside) has about 5 puny mushrooms on it. A good amount of vermiculite to use in the logs is somewhere between 10% and 45%. If you choose to case the logs instead, then a half inch works fine. The vermiculite content of the logs also seems to have an impact on how the log colonizes and fuzzes up. Without vermiculite in the straw mix, the mycelium grows through in long spikes, and does not like to pin, and with vermiculite, the fuzzing is even throughout. I think it is because the vermiculite fills in the gaps in the log, makes it more dense, and adds moisture content to the logs. Here is a picture of the square cased log I did, its yield is 671g wet. Notice that it didn't pin on the sides where there wasn't any vermiculite. A little vermiculite added to the mixture will make it pin all over.

Top view. The log was birthed into an aluminum tin with vermiculite in it, and covered with about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of vermiculite. [671g wet yield.]

As for the first sock log I made, it just finished its second flush. I never even dunked it. Its vermiculite content was about 45%. Here it is right before harvest.

Largest shroom from second flush. Isn't it beautiful. 120g wet. I had to break it in half to weigh it.

I should add that i'm currently trying a log with vermiculite in it, and on it. I'm also working on a form to make triangular logs(those should be neat). My hanging log is knotting up, so there should be results of that soon also
I never really incubate the logs, they sit at room temperature which is about 78 most of the time. When its time to fruit the logs I crank up the AC and drop the room temp to about 70. I've always given my logs regular room lighting conditions, and regular temperatures. I've never really had that much of a problem with pinning. As for second flushes, there are always alot less shrooms. Soon i'll be adding dung to one of my logs to see how that works out. I've got a bag of worm castings, and i'm making some more logs tomorrow, so we may find out how that works out really soon. I'm going to try dunking the sock log and go for a third flush. I've got a nice idea for dunking the logs by attaching hooks to the bottom of a tub and hooking the fabric to the bottom of the tub when its full of water. The logs float alot, and you could dunk quite a few logs that way.

seven (Mycosev)
Username: Mycosev

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im waiting for my plastic log tubing from fungi perfecti . i normally do trays seems like i get more then when i just do logs , ive been thinking of puting logs side by side in trays then caseing with verm&wormcastings with a space between the logs about two lids apart then lay on perlite sprayed lightlly with h2o2 water solution in a tray .
does that sound about the right thing to do for caseing logs in trays? the first time i just took the log layed it on foil with the verm already layed down then bascilly rolled it like a big thang of dough starting from the edge . then i let colinize 3 more days cut it free and that worked great . but after seeing the log teks put up i reliazed thats a big waste of time .
SeVeN

Mushroom Man (Mushroom_man)
Username: Mushroom_man

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting the updates for me hippie, I can't get the picture upload to work, it keeps crashing the browser.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you feel the need to use verm on the outside, try instead using two socks, one inside the other. It sounds like the sock doesn't hold enough moisture to get through the flush. Bear in mind, when I've used fabric casings, I use thick material, and mist daily to allow the fabric to take in moisture, and wick it to the substrate on the other side. If you're going to use fabric as a casing, you have to treat it much like any other casing to allow it to do its job. I typically get flushes measured in pounds, not grams, from logs, so be sure to pack the straw good and tight. It takes a few times to get the right compression on straw. Also, as has been said before, bigger is better when it comes to straw, especially logs. Try building a bigger one, perhaps with two layers of fabric.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Mushroom Man (Mushroom_man)
Username: Mushroom_man

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skyypilot, the fabric is much too thin to be used as a casing itself, its actually see through. I have been thinking about the second fabric and vermiculite layer, but i'm going to put that off till later. I chop my straw really fine, almost like straw flakes, so thats why i like to use vermiculite, and it increases the weight of the flush alot, so far, it seems like mixing in vermiculite is the best way to go for ease and performance. The vermiculite on the outside is just there because those logs did not contain any vermiculite inside them, and i saw how poorly they performed, so it was pretty much an attempt to save them. The yield from my one foot long 4in wide logs is about 1.5pounds wet, and about 6 logs produces one pound dry. I can guarantee that the straw is dense enough, i've packed them so hard, i've ripped the fabric and stretched the plastic tubing. One of my 4in wide foot long logs(without vermiculite) typically weighs in at 1000g right after i make it. Also, the purpose of the sock material isn't to hold moisture, but to hold things together. It makes things alot simpler, you don't have to worry about straw being stuck to the mushrooms, its really easy to pick,and they colonize a bit faster than polytube logs. I've tried larger logs without the sock material and I never seemed to get that much of a better yield per cubic inch of straw. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, i haven't slept much lately.

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 04:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a great tek! I never thought to mix verm in with straw, only in the casing layers. This intruiges me as a way to balance moisture so that things don't get soggy or dry.
Also I'd like to see you post that 120 gram pic in the big shroom thread, it is one of the biggest we've seen here!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17604
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm one step ahead of ya, yogi
i used that pic to headline the entire Bigguns section in the Photo section of our Archives
yesterday.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/136025. html?1082940964

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17605
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we've been seeing alot of good success with folks lately who've been adding verm to certain substrates to improve performance.
see the rez-effect material in the archives,
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/103423. html
and also superspawning,
which is somewhat similar=
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/64315.h tml?1070731884
except it uses worm castings.
but it's the core principle in play
that i'm talking about.
in a way, this is kind of a final tribute to pf's tek, this adding vermiculite.
if it works as well with straw, etc.
as it does with cakes,
it'd be a nice improvement in reliability.

Patrick McCrehan (Colorfullspores)
Username: Colorfullspores

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 03:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could i throw one of these logs outdoors?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17616
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't see why not,
assuming nice warm humid shady spot.

heineken (Mushandi)
Username: Mushandi

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big shroom and nice grow,great pics!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: