Mushroom Mans Hydropod Terrarium TEK, Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Mushroom Mans Hydropod Terrarium TEK, Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 17357
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by Mushroom Man

quote:

Here is my method of making a "hydropod type" terrarium without spending alot of money.
Parts Lits:
Soaker Hose Tubing, 1/4'' Diameter(Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes)
1/4'' Tee fittings for Soaker Hose(Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes)
Aquarium air hose(I prefer the green or blue silicone over the clear)
Aquarium Air Pump(Walmart, or pet shop)
12 Gauge ceiling tile hanging wire(Home Depot or Lowes)
Hydroton, or Geolite aka LECA(hydroponic supply stores)
Plexiglass for lid, or some source of lighting that can be inside the tub
Iodine Tincture(Walmart, or other pharmacy)
And last, but not least, the tub.

The first step is to take the soaker hose and cut it long enough to go around the inside of the bottom of the tub. Like this.

Then take a piece of ceiling tile hanging wire, and cut it slightly shorter than the soaker hose, and push it inside the soaker hose. The wire is used to keep the soaker hoses shape, and give it weight.

After the wire is all the way inside the soaker hose, bend the hose to the shape of the bottom of your tub.

After the hose is bent to shape, connect the two ends to the aquarium hose with the tee fitting.

Then set the loop of hose in the bottom of the tub and run the aquarium hose through the hole in your tub.

Next, take your bag of Geolite.

Then pour some into a strainer, or one of those fishnet lingere bag things women wash or dry there "delicates" in. Next step is to wash the geolite to get all the clay dust off of it, then let it drip dry for about an hour

While you wait for the Geolite to dry, you can make up your iodine water. The purpose of the iodine water is to keep mold spores from germinating and growing in the Geolite. You add 2 or 3 drops of iodine per gallon of water. The amount of iodine used is enough to keep spores from growing, but not enough to harm already growing mycelium.

After the Geolite is done dripping off the excess water, you should make about 4 or 5 gallons of iodine water in a bucket at 3 drops per gallon, then put the Geolite in that water and let it sit for a few minutes. Then pour in enough Geolite to fill the bottom of the tub about 3'' deep.

Then add enough iodine water to barely cover the hose at the bottom to act as a moisture resevoir.

The last step is to add a clear lid to let light in, or add a light source to the inside of the tub, or whatever you want. Then just hook up the hose to an air pump, and you don't have to fan your terrarium all the time, and you get nice flushes

The good thing about using iodine water for this terrarium, is that you can birth logs, or cakes directly onto the Geolite without worry of contamination, the Geolite wicks moisture up to the cakes/logs, and the soaker hose at the bottom bubbles air through the water and Geolite to create the perfect amount of moisture, and fresh air exchange

Here is a picture of the condensation on the sides of the walls of the terrarium. Even with constant air exchange, the terrarium keeps good amounts of humidity.

you don't need a timer for this setup, and no fogger either. The constant airflow is humidified by the geolite in the bottom. So you get constant flowing humidified air. Just hook up the air pump, and leave it. No other steps to it at all. The only reason you might want to limit airflow is to keep things a little warmer inside the terrarium. Room temperature is fine for fruiting mushrooms, 60's and 70's are great.

Geolite, Hydroton, and Hydrokorrels are brand names for Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate or LECA for short. LECA is a common hydroponic growing medium. Its extremely porous, reusable, sterilizable, bakeable, you name it. I find that it humidifies more than just perlite, more reusable than perlite, and alot less messier than perlite. Another great plus is that you can birth your cakes, or logs directly onto it if you use iodine, the iodine doesn't dissipate like H2O2, or chlorine, it stays in the hydroton. Every once in a while don't forget to check to make sure it still has water. I would add plain water to the resevoir since the iodine never evaporates or dissipates, you don't want the hydroton to become loaded with it.

Derived from a renewable and plentiful source (clay), HYDROTON is considered an ecologically sustainable medium. The clay is formed into pellets and fired in rotary kilns at 1200C. This causes the clay to expand, like popcorn, and become porous.

HYDROTON pellets are light in weight, do not compact and are completely reusable - they can be cleaned and sterilised after use. They are also inert, pH neutral and do not contain any nutrients. The pellets drain freely and do not hold any excessive water, which is why they provide good oxygen levels around the root and why they are particularly suitable for flood and drain systems.

the airhose is connected to an aquarium bubble pump. I don't think the setup would work too well with perlite, its alot messier and tends to clump up when wet, the geolite keeps air channels open for the air to pass through and be humidified.

I maintained my geolite by draining the water once a month, and soaking the geolite in bleach for a couple hours. Then drain and rinse a couple times..

Suppose you could drain them, and bake them too.

I wanted to add, that i boil my geolite, then bake it after every grow. That helps get the mycelium off the balls and open up the pores again. It also sterilizes the balls. The stuff is reusable near an infinite amount of times. The only reason i ever buy more is cause the little balls have a tendency to run off when spilled.....they're all over my backyard, and you also need more if you expand. If i buy a $40 bag, i can make 4-5 tubs out of that. Its a one time purchase, and its worth it.

i'm not too sure gravel would work very well, I have been thinking of alternatives to hydroton, and i've come up with a short list of what might be able to work. The most likely substitute I can think of would be crushed cinderblock. The second would be lava rocks. The medium in the bottom of the tub needs to be pretty porous to create humidity, and wick water up, so I would try cinderblock crushed into pieces the size of marbles
http://www.glassmtnpumice.com/pumice/index.htm
I think that would work great instead of geolite. Its about the same stuff

Here is another pic, it shows how the mycelium grows onto the balls of hydroton. These split logs seem to pin around the edges more than the round logs i've done before, but the mushrooms seem very healthy. Alot of my pins are actually on the balls of hydroton themselves. Apparently, due to the large amount of moisture available in the balls, the mycelium thinks its a nice place to create pins.

There are two holes in the tub already, they are the perfect size for the hose. I haven't used a filter, because its really not that necessary because air is constantly flowing out of the terrarium, i guess you could shove a little wad of polyfill in the hole, you wouldn't want it too tight, just enough to keep bugs out. If you want, you can put your air pump inside a sealed up box with two quarter or nickel sized holes, and shove polyfill in them to filter the air input.

last pic

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17358
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hrmmm I wonder if he would have gotten a better flush raising them off of the geolite. I think so. I once took a small casing pan and filled it with wet verm. Then I put 8 cakes on the verm, with their bottom about 1/2 inch deep into the verm. They were close together....but hardly any shrooms fruited off the cake. It mostly only fruited from the wet verm. When compared the total yield to my probable yield from the cakes it was way less than it should have been. Its almost like the myc was attracted to the water area and therefore quit trying to fruit from the rest of the cake....but who knows...
Life can only be as good as you imagine.

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might also have something to do with the myc still being in somewhat of a veg state? I see its trying to colonize the balls....

I_am_me (I_am_me)

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a double post. But I still wonder why it didn't fruit from the actual log...or from my cakes in the experiment I talked about.

(Message edited by I_aM_me on April 20, 2004)

watero (Watero)
Username: Watero

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that almost all of the pin are touching or almost touching the geolite?

I agree with I_am_me that the mycelium is possible wasting energy by trying to colonize the geolite, unless there is some nutrients that the mycelium is getting from the geolite.

(Message edited by watero on April 20, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 17380
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the mycellia only goes after worthwhile stuff,
if not food
then water.
i don't see it as a true
waste of energy
if water is being supplied.
and that's why the pins are there,
they form near the water
it's a shorter distance to transport the water,
which is a real waste of energy, imo.
you must consider that this is a single organism,
and it puts its pins in what it thinks is the best spot.

GanjaNamja (Ganjanamja)
Username: Ganjanamja

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much did this cost? might wanna add prices to those items...any particular type of air pump? i don't know anything about air pumps

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: