Outdoor box Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Outdoor Cubie Cultivation Outdoor box Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

bill and ted (Billted)
Username: Billted

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm well I kinda ran into a little trouble and had to do something quick with 30 qaurts of multispore texas on popcorn.

I was looking around the farm and found a pretty beat up old wooden box, figured this would be a good composter.

I live on a poultry farm and have 4 HUGE piles of chicken compost. I know that poultry compost is not really that good since they eat grain, but ours are range grown and eat a ton of veggies, mostly jewel weed, and then what ever weeds grow for ground cover + grain. Anyways.

I mixed up some of that good old compost with about 30 quarts in the box and hid it in a kinda swampier area with a little wooden cover with holes in it.

Its about 36x24x18 inchecs after i was done filling the bastard ;) Anyone ever try anything like this? Ha is it going to work?

I guess i will find out soon since most of the jars started to pin invitro, i picked them and mixed it up.

I will have some pics in prolly a week. This is in the NE is it too early to have this outside? I guess I am just looking for some comments from outside growers, thanks.

bill being bad.
wait sorry, I am stupidest when trying to be funny

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18059
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 06:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a big batch,
good thing you used so much grain.
i'd mulch the top with a 'casing' of straw to help keep various critters from getting to the pcorn, might want to set out some saucers of beer for the slugs [to drown them, not party them out]
is it well shaded area ?

bill and ted (Billted)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, I was kinda proud when I laid it out ;)

right now we are supposed to get a week worth of rain in and out all week, I have it actually right now, underneath an old bench, underneath trees and such, its pretty shaded.

I better lay out some beers can though, sometimes I think the pops leaves enough out that i dont to worry about it.. yes the ground is partied out.

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that does sound like a big batch! I'm curious how itturns out. I would have mixed a buch of pasteurized straw with that but we will see. I have never heard of using chicken shit.Along with the well known horse and cow I have heard that rabbit shit might work but that chickenshit is very "hot". Please keep us updated

saimon (Saimons_k)
Username: Saimons_k

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bird shit is very.. um.. let`s say strong. when people use chiken shit for fertilising flowers and stuff they use like 100 grams to bucket of water.
I would not give high chances on this. Anyway, it would be cool to hear how it goes
http://www.fsre.org - Free Spore Ring Europe.

bill and ted (Billted)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 11:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the bird shit has been composting for about 1-2 years in a mix of dirt, shavings, wood chip, etc. There all kinds of stuff mixed in, we have a perennial center so it works great for the flowers. Actually awesome for them, but yes I agree it is some potent stuff. I might lime it and put some straw on top.

Like you guys said, lets see what happens.

Oh ya q, should i be watering this box a little? The compost when i laid it out seemed to be pretty moistened, but it can dry out very quick being composted shavings mostly.

saimon (Saimons_k)
Username: Saimons_k

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

shit has been composting for about 1-2 years in a mix of dirt, shavings, wood chip, etc.

looks better now. i would water it time after time- just to keep it moist

http://www.fsre.org - Free Spore Ring Europe.

bill and ted (Billted)

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 02:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

looks better now. i would water it time after time- just to keep it moist

I will do that.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18347
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 01:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chicken shit is really not a good choice,
they are not total herbivores like cows,
chicken eat insects.
they aren't multi-stomach or cud-chewers,
like horses, rabbits, cows.
they eat too much grain and no grass.
the opposite is what you want,
grassy manure like horse's is far superior.

richie rich (Gt_god)
Username: Gt_god

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know about chicken shit but once i had to terminate my indoor setup i filled a laundry basket with horse shit and straw mixed in my good casing and got some good outdoor specimens although the laundry basket needed lots of attention to keep moisture up. Nature is pretty self sufficent. Keep us updated i love a write up on the outdoors for cultivation

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18657
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how's it doing nowadays ?

notes from bill (Billted)

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 01:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well its slow to say the least.

Up in new england its been pretty cold, I havent gone in to see it has reestablished its network. But for right now, its more or less feeling cold shocked for a week.

I hope it survives... been cold some nights down into the 40's...

-bil;l
tri[[in is fun

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE 5.10.04

It has been consistently cold here in ME so I went in today and moved some of the casing to see how the whole box was going.

It seems the moisture has been held just fine, its a little dry on top but most of that is just casing anyways. All the manure under the casing seems to still be at a good moisture content, also i noticed that the myc is growing. So I am hoping once the temp gets up to a reasonable temp they will fruit.

note* There seems to be no contamination introduced either, I am thinking its because its been less then nice temps outside. And the myc looks unusually healthy, I see alot of stringy myc locking each other together and a bit around the manure chip.

Lets hope we get a hot spell.

-notes from bill
tri[[in is fun

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Username: Pinwisher

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buried two cakes outside that had stalled because they were too wet. I mixed in some straw, pressed down hard and covered with more straw. It's been cold here too but when I dug around a bit, I noticed the myc was growing.

Outdoors is amazing...

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres just a little update:

The texas started to pin. They are the short texas, it seems there are two different tex out there. Anyways, gotta question.. Should I be watering this more? The top is almost always dry but it still is "moist" when you did down. I dont want to over water so what do you guys think?

Oh and the myc network seems to be very strong even though it is chicken shit and is dealing with the ever changing cold/warm weather of the me/nh climate. I was actually kind of surprised they even would pin, the weathers been pretty cold.

so on to the pics:

Upload
Upload

tri[[in is fun

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19348
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wouldn't increase watering, just keep doing what you've been doing,
a mulch is dry on top but moist below
perfectly normal outdoors
archive material

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 04:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another update: A lot more coming out today, more to come.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Do outdoor gardens keep pinning whenever they want, or is it still like cycles as indoors?

Being 30 quarts in here I am thinking i am going to be picken everyday for a while.

tri[[in is fun

richie rich (Gt_god)
Intermediate Member
Username: Gt_god

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they kinda flush big quantites all at once but ther is always a ton of strays in between keep a good eye on them ive been lazy and came to my patch to see many rotting. outdoors is my faviorte tek horse/straw-spawned with straw-ccasing 40%coir 60% grinded leaves (assorted).

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19425
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cubies rarely flush like the books say except for in properly cared for casings
much more typical is
the one-two-here-there-now-then flush
you're seeing.

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats awesome

Harry Shaddocks (Hellosidney2010)
Username: Hellosidney2010

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great project and you are doing a fine job reporting and seem to be asking some good questions. I was wondering if you had tried to test the ph of the composted manure? You should have a busy summer picking from a patch that size. Keep the pics and pins coming, Sidney.

Look to yourself for answers and you will not be wanting. Takaun Soho

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 06:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE 5.22.04

Heres a few more pics of my box. Its flushing out just fine now.

Temps have been around 45 at night/65 during the day. It rained twice this week. These were taken during one of the wet days.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I hope it goes like this for a while. I also had a patch of b+ beside it but it was just put on the ground. It was 3 jars but it didnt take like the texas did in the box. Also I am comparing 3 jars to 30 I guess that could be the reason too.

Hope you enjoy the updates.
tri[[in is fun

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19766
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah,
you are kicking major league butt there.
one of the best patches we've seen here.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19767
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ever take any humidity reading near the patch ?
might take a daily reading for a week or two.
or a morning/evening pair of readings.
it'd be interesting,
might correlate humidity with the stature/height of the shroomage

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 03:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well these tex that i have all have grown stumpy even indoors with a double bin tek, straw, cased etc.

Though I do not think they would get any taller since most of the time the stem of the mush is about 2 inches into the soil. But because they are outside the caps start to dry up sooner, thus shortening them?

I want to do this same box with another strain and see if i can produce the same kinda results. It seems the chicken poo worked out well enought for me though.

tri[[in is fun

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19831
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But because they are outside the caps start to dry up sooner, thus shortening them?

that was my thinking...

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE 5.28.04

Well I picked this flush.

2lbs wet, I wonder what it will dry out to since its outdoor and there is less humidity in the mushies.

Upload
Upload
Upload

I might clean this whole thread up, a little write up if I have the time.
tri[[in is fun

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, this was picked a few days ago. I already have another flush coming through, I will post pics when it finishes off.
tri[[in is fun

Hidra (Hidra303)
Username: Hidra303

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome work!

HF (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good showing. :-)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 08:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn good work!

Roc

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks guys, owe it all to this place.

I am really surprised it worked out so well with the crappy cold weather we have during the springs in NE.

Just goes to show they can grow anywhere.

tri[[in is fun

pinwisher (Pinwisher)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did a small area 2x2 feet with straw, castings, and 2 piepans of casings that flushed twice. Is 20 days the norm for outdoors from spawn to harvest, or was it quicker in this case due to the massive amount of spawn?

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 02:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well mine were straight jars, never flushed yet. I am not sure about the time since this is my first outdoor grow.

I guess I will have to experiment a little more and get back to ya.
tri[[in is fun

? (Superunborn)
Username: Superunborn

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DrEdZ (Dlox421)
Username: Dlox421

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats pretty cool man... interesting for sure....
I flip when I kick it trippin it
So I can check shit not in a daily style
But once in every while so I can
File check file check the files of my brain
Many of meaning manage to come from the insane

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE 6.8.04

This is the 3rd "flush" in this box, as of right now i have picked about 3/4 lb dried. Not bad for no maintenance what so ever. Well I did water it once.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Outdoor is def my favorite tek ;)
tri[[in is fun

Dooby Dooby Doo (Doobydoobydoo)
Username: Doobydoobydoo

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kewl Pics!