Coming into the closet for the first... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Coming into the closet for the first time- Set up with pics - Sweetness Plz Look! Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 12, 2004Dr.PepperHighflyer25 1 05-12-04  06:54 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member
Username: Sluggo

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the little bumps if theyre like little round balls those are what turn into mushies

The trays are covered in little balls, some of them are connected to stems of myc that look like little cartoon flowers.

I'm hoping that i see some fruiting action soon because its driving me CRAZY!

The other thing is that I might be relocating to Iqaluit, Nunavut for a six month contract and all my work will be thrown out or given away....I Find out friday next week...Any chance that they'll be a first flush by then???AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

"I'd hate to advocate drugs or liquor, or insanity to anyone. but in my case, it's working"

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Filtered Fan Intake

I have thought that fanning in my place was not a good idea because of the possibility of airborne contams. I built this out of junk laying around the house.

Upload
A 120V 15w Cooling fan that came out of server racks, It was dirty and I cleaned it using Lysol Wipes
Upload
The three pieces I made out of Plywood and painted with an oil based paint.
Upload
The middle section was filled up with polyfill and a boiled piece of screen was placed between it and the fan.
Upload
Here it is assembled with wiring.I then wiped it down again real good with Lysol Wipes and then sprayed it with lysol.
Upload
I cut out the fan and poked the bolts (they are too long) through the green house plastic and sandwiched on the outside plate and wing nutted it.
Upload
Thats a lighter to show that it sucks!

I'm putting it on a timer as well to go off three time a day for fifteen minutes before the humidifyer runs.

I'll have to tinker with it, the light and the coolmist timers to make it all run smooth.

Cheers

(Message edited by sluggo on May 12, 2004)
"I'd hate to advocate drugs or liquor, or insanity to anyone. but in my case, it's working"

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18990
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...Any chance that they'll be a first flush by then???

a current pic would help that assessment...
kick up the heat to about 80-85 if you're in a big hurry,
that'll speed growth.
it also speeds the growth of yeasts and bacteria
but you don't care as long as you get the 1st flush fast, right ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18991
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a current pic would help that assessment...
kick up the heat to about 80-85 if you're in a big hurry,
that'll speed growth.
it also speeds the growth of yeasts and bacteria
but you don't care as long as you get the 1st flush fast, right ?

I'll know by friday. keeping it cool till then.Crazy day's

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 04:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

Day 8, my temp is up anyway -it's hot in here at 79deg humidity is at 94. havn't had the humidifyer running at all today and ther are a couple small patches of moisture on the myc.

I am curious as to what you folk's think of the fan unit. Is the poly fill enough because there is room to put in a hepa replacement cartridge?

I'm gonna keep the humidifyer off till the humidity comes down into the eightys. I'm kinda judging by the moisture droplets on the sides of the unit as well as i don't trust that hygrometer.

I'm trying to get a friend over with a digital camera that does macro maybe over the weekend.

Cheers

(Message edited by sluggo on May 13, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19044
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drop the humidity some, to about 85-90%
fan more if that's the only way.
polyfil's a good filter, works fine

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 04:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been looking around the site for a good day by day picture set of a casing from start to finish but all I seem to find are pics of great big huge flushes and casings with a few pins?
Anyone know where one is?

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 03:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo Hoo!

I got lots of pins on all three trays. When I went to sleep last night I looked at them and saw the myc had changed colour a bit and collapsing. I thought "great now I got a contam coming in" but I woke up this morning and theres about 20 pins on the closest casing and 10 on the middle and a whole crapload on the back tray and the two bottom trays are about to do it too and they look even better than the other trays}

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are hundreds of pins now. It's incredible how fast they grow. macro pics soon

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 05:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload
Upload

The Babies

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bottom tray that is not in the picture is just starting to pin. but it looks amazing it has hundres of big balls and looks amazing, really even compared to top trays, I think it's gonna be the best.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19216
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks great,
plenty of babies to raise
then eat.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 04:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

They've started getting fat!next weekends gonna be good!

I've got the cool mist on here in the pic, I've been giving them some humidity for an hour then blowing it out with the fans in the morning. the trays all look great. I can tell the mushrooms are sucking all the moisture out of the tray's. Should I be misting more ore less, Whats the general care during the fruiting process?

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 04:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait till the back tray is finished so I can get at it to take some pics. It's packed

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19262
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the color of your casing in that last pic makes it look pretty dry,
your pins are pretty good sized now
so you might want to give the casing
a few good sprays from the mister to
replenish the casing moisture.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 11:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should i hand mist with a sprayer or just let the cool mist machine do the job?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19276
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 11:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the cool mist humidifier will not get the job done
unless it's running way too much,
which is overkill, not what you want.
instead use a very fine mister like those used in greenhouses for young seedlings or orchids.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and how wet am I looking to go. I only have a cheezy sprayer (like a windex bottle) it does a pretty fine spray. Should I go light med or heavy?

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 01:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this in the archives http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/9268.ht ml?1022292767

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19306
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always go light to start,
easy to add more later
but hard to remove excess.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They Liked that, This morning after spraying I noticed a signifigant increase in the size and the bottom viel is now visible on a bunch looks like they all grew 1/2 an inch. casings looked dry again in a couple places so I misted again and sprayed on the walls of the chamber. I'll leave it like this and let the casing soak it up and the hit it with the fans in the afternoon.

Thanks hippie3

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 04:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you pick your mushrooms. is there a difference in potency if you pick in the morning or night or after a fanning or watering?Whens the best time?

DrEdZ (Dlox421)
Intermediate Member
Username: Dlox421

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 04:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just try and catch them before the veil brakes otherwise i dont know what the potency difference would be man... ask a pro (hippie, sharkie, or rodger)
I flip when I kick it trippin it
So I can check shit not in a daily style
But once in every while so I can
File check file check the files of my brain
Many of meaning manage to come from the insane

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 04:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been looking through the other posts to get an idea on time lines for fruiting. mine seem to be a few days behind. I figure it's the strain or I'm not doing things right. what is a really aggresive strain of mushrooms? I want to grow a variety.

I've got five jars of honey water ready to go that all look good. But I'm gonna have to get them going this week. Every body really loves it when I turn our kitchen into the Shroomzone at our house.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sure liked getting the hose down!
sprayed in the morning and evening and they just suck it up.
This is the back tray
Upload
and the front tray you've seen before.
Upload
Thanks

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, There's new pins coming up along side the ones that are near finished.

I am going to follow these for care of casings after the first flush.

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/128279.html?1079885195

(Message edited by sluggo on May 18, 2004)

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking goooood...
Hi-ya!

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just try and catch them before the veil brakes otherwise i dont know what the potency difference would be man... ask a pro (hippie, sharkie, or rodger)

I should just stop asking questions and read the archives. I want to see these ones go a bit past where the veil breaks. I'm not too worried about getting that super trip, Generaly I only eat shroomz so I can party longer otherwise I'm a lightweight these days.

I have to get some lime and unstinky damprid. I'm assuming that lime is easily available since it's used in canning? I havn't found it yet. I did find some at a hardware store in the plant department way up on a shelf but it was in pellet form. Still looking...

You know.. I think it's funny, After all these years I've always judged shrooms by the size of the cap... hmmm

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Username: Marvinm92

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks real nice mang... :-)
Glad this seems to be working for ya...

You got a pic of the whole thing in fruiting action?

I'm thiking of gettin me one of these up and running now too...
HAPPY EASTER! :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19342
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking good, go easy on the water now,
the color of the stems tells me that they are pretty saturated now so back off,
new tiny pins are forming even now down in the casing layer and you don't want to drown them.
as for picking
my advice is that any time within 24 hours
before or after
the veil tears is good
for eating.
if you want prints you'll need to wait longer.
my compliments, btw,
on making good use of the archives here
to solve the problems you've encountered.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 03:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright I've got 4 veil breaks on the 1st tray, and the other trays are not far behind, I guess harvest is tonight. I got Dolomitic Limestone and pickle crisp wich is calcium chloride for a dessicant. I'll be damned if I can get the bulk odourless Damp Rid, I've got one of the hanger things with the bag on the bottom but it reeks.

logic pill (Logicpill)
Username: Logicpill

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good. By the way, is that the 6 foot or so greenhouse from Nothern Tools?

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Looks good. By the way, is that the 6 foot or so greenhouse from Nothern Tools?

forget the manufacturer but its the big one with the rounded top 6'

It works good! I can see it getting cramped in there soon though

I guess the dolomitic lime I got is no good, Magnesium is at 12% and I can't find pickling lime

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calcium Hydroxide is "Pickling Lime" and is available at your local pharmacy. I was told that it is used as a calcium supplement.

Have had a hard time finding it.

Dr_fungus (Dr_fungus)
Username: Dr_fungus

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have had a hard time finding it. So i went to Lowes and bought some hydrated lime. However the other day I was wandering through WalMart and lo and behold right next to the canning jars, was pickling lime. Check it out Im sure you have a Walmart near, those damn stores have a network of mycelium poppin up those stores all over the place.Lol. Hope this helps. BTW nice job
"Freedom is not something that anybody can be given; freedom is something people take and people are as free as they want to be."
-James Baldwin

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks fungus I ordered some today.

&

Da da da DAAAAA!!!! My Harvest

Upload

Upload

We ate some. they are good
I cleaned up real good sprayed a shitload of lysol and used rubber gloves &
I couldn't get the lime in time. so, I picked em clean,they where not dryed out to bad, Turned em with a sterile fork and sprayed em good with distilled with about 3-5% bleach solution then recased with a 1/2 inch of pasturized moist verm

Thanks everybody!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: