Spores from dried shrooms? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Cloning. Cloning Using Dry Tissue Spores from dried shrooms? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

misfit boy (Js138)
Username: Js138

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok today i bought a bag of shrooms, looks like a b+ strain, the volva on most of the shrooms hasn't opened yet, so the shrooms look like little brown balloons kinda...and the gills of the shrooms are not exposed.

would it be possible to get spores from these? i broke off one of the caps and scraped the gills out with a knife and saved these on a paper...would it just be a waste of time if i tried to grow these?
-js138-

mycos eleusis (Exshroomer)
Username: Exshroomer

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep.

They really don't produce spores until at least 4 or 5 hours after the veil tears and the caps open up on them.

Well, whoever grew them knew exactly when to pick, gotta give them their props in that respect!

(Message edited by exshroomer on May 07, 2004)

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 01:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can clone dry mushroom tissue. You'll need to learn agar work. I've taken dessicant dried mushrooms and cloned them to agar. It works.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18434
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

would it be possible to get spores from these? i broke off one of the caps and scraped the gills out with a knife and saved these on a paper...would it just be a waste of time if i tried to grow these?

you sure could try,
i've heard that spore production can begin earlier than veil tear so there might be some in there yet.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18435
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw,
that's a real nice ass there

Post Number: 946
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, where did you find that pic? I wanna see the rest in the series.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Username: Fmrc

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 05:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip is right, spore production can occur before the veil tears. This is true for many different species of mushrooms. There shouldn't be any questions. If there are spores, you should see them....grin. And, Rodger is right about using dried mushroom material. This is a good way to preserve and keep strains you want to save. Dried material is how it is banked in major culture banks like ATCC......oh yeah, I agree, that's a nice ass...slp/fmrc

? (Superunborn)
Username: Superunborn

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting... is there a particular part of the organism that works best for this?

misfit boy (Js138)
Username: Js138

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got it off a LJ community actually...i can't remember who or when though...

-js138-

CptnMaxMushroom (Captainmax)
Username: Captainmax

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, thats not the volva, it's the veil and if it is still intact than it is still sterile inside. Often they will start dropping before the veil tears but on the other hand, these are often immature spores. You might have some success on agar.

www.sporelab.com
Visit the SporeLab
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Chris (Dupee419)
Username: Dupee419

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hippie, you is a horny horny man

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18633
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with good eyesight

XcvX (Xcvx)
Intermediate Member
Username: Xcvx

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

with good eyesight

What about that post for the myco banner...you couldn't read what one of the people's banners said...i think there's a flaw in your statement.

Just kidding Hip, the comment is all in good fun!

Post Number: 956
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"By the way, thats not the volva, it's the veil..."

Yeah, the "volva" is what's just a few inches ahead of that ass. Kinda dark but I can almost see it. Can you, Hip?

Chris (Dupee419)
Username: Dupee419

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol