Reishi and Shiitake Experiment on PF ... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Reishi and Shiitake Experiment on PF Cakes Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
HelloJesse James Jesse James 14 1 07-23-04  02:53 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Username: Spacecowboy

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Innoculated 13 PF style jars with Reishi plugs, and 13 PF style jars with Shiitake plugs. Each jar was nocked up with 5 plugs each.

The jars are made with varying mixtures of oak sawdust supplemented with either BRF or millet/bran, and 2 jars are original PF style.

As of right now, the 1/2pt straight BRF/vermiculite jar of reishi is fully colonized in 7 days, and the 1/2pt straight BRF/vermiculite jar of Shiitake is 5/6 colonized at day 7.

The other 24 jars have sawdust with 20% supplement of either BRF or millet/bran. Half of them are made with vermiculite added. As of now these jars are around 1/3 - 1/2 colonized, with the vermiculite containing jars growing the fastest.

I also am testing the use of straight sawdust as an alternative to the vermiculite contamination barrier. As of right now the jars with the vermiculite contamination barrier are colonzing faster. I belive this to be a result of better air exchange.

Therefore, my results so far indicate that the straight BRF jars, jars with vermiculite added, and jars with a vermiculite contamination barrier (vs sawdust) are colonizing the fastest.
If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18592
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had one fellow,
bluecat i think it was,
who did some shiitake on pf cakes,
i'd love to see any pix you might get
and hear all the details too
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/27244.h tml?1062928549

(Message edited by admin on May 09, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18593
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18594
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw,
i'm looking for any info on
experiments in growing common edibles of pf-style substrates.

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been comparing notes from both of them to the best of my ability.

Curious to the outcome?...
... well so am I, and Mycotopia will be the first to know, unless asked to otherwise.

bluecat (Bluecat)
Username: Bluecat

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 01:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i tried the same experiment hundreds of times.the regular pf half pints with no sawdust are always the best.both faster,and more productive.you really only need one plug per jar,right down the middle.i get the best results with just over 1/8 cup brf.if you use much more than that,they get sticky and grow slower.good luck,have fun.Upload

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the ratio of sawdust to BRF by volume Bluecat?

For my next cakes I am going to try 1/8 sawdust, 1/8 BRF, 1/2 vermiculite.

I was amazed at how fast the mycelium took to the BRF cake. I have yet to check on them since saturday, but I am pretty sure the sawdust cakes are growing slowly in comparision.

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Username: Mycophil

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking forward !
btw...i've seen a pic of someone using toothpics for plugs,satesticks might be another alternative too ,it was at a dutch forum for growing azures so basically the same procedure
Since Bluecat's posting before ,i've been wondering if the result is strain-dependant or not
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18833
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great bluecat made the scene,
nice pic too.

a toothpick plug eh ?
clever

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've tried many combinations of different amounts of sawdust,brf,and verm.regular pf cakes with just over 1/8 cup brf outperformed all others every time.even small amounts of sawdust slowed them greatly.they will fruit with sawdust,but the more you use,the slower they get.the plugs are very aggressive,and at an average of 10 cents each,i don't bother with any other innoc. methods.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Username: Fmrc

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the past 4 decades, sterilized grains and straws have been used to grow many different types of mushroom mycelium. This holds true in commercial growing, including Agaricus bisporus (buttons). When the mass of mycelium reaches the needed amount, it is capable of producing mushrooms. Shiitake and other wood growers are not cased. Casing will hinder, but not stop fruiting totally. As the "PF" tek uses casing, it will not be the upmost maximum tek to grow wood growers or other mushrooms that are not cased.....slp/fmrc

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 02:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I innoculated Some toothpicks on saturday with the left over oyster spawn I had, did it using the H2O2 tek. Not sure if it will grow cleanly though, as I did it ouyt in the open, and I think the toothpicks were a little too wet.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18921
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'maximium optimum' or not,
seeing them on pf cakes is still cool.

NegativeZer0 (Negativezer0)
Username: Negativezer0

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yumm, shiitakes...maybe i should finally start growing some mushrooms...shiitakes

<<quote:>>
Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc): "Casing will hinder, but not stop fruiting totally. As the "PF" tek uses casing, it will not be the upmost maximum tek to grow wood growers or other mushrooms that are not cased"
<</quote:>>

hmm, so its:

1. wooden logs, tree's etc.
2. pf style cakes
3. casings

from "best" "tek" - "worst"?

does the mushroom cultivator have shiitakes techniques?
<< NegativeZer0 >>

NegativeZer0 (Negativezer0)
Username: Negativezer0

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and wouldnt the PF Tek cakes colonize the fastest, they might not produce the most compared to dead logs, but wouldnt the turn-over potential be increased?
<< NegativeZer0 >>

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 08:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shitake on pf cakes are great for home use.it is a steady supply of huge,gourmet quality mushrooms,fresh year round.logs are not usually convenient for most people,and since logs produce 2 flushes a year,they need to be dried.

Cleanjar (Cleanjar)
Username: Cleanjar

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did King Oyster on PF cakes (brf/verm), they grew but not that great. They grew, but i think Oysters prefer a larger substrate-mass (like spawned to straw).

i did Lions Mane on PF cakes (brf/verm), they did good. But again, pf-cakes might not be the best option for Lions Mane; they did fruit ok though.

i also have Reishi & Shiitake PF cakes, neither have fruited yet, the Reishi might have contaminated, and the Shiitake are slow so far..
-I had high hopes for the Reishi to do well on the cakes (i think they contam'd somewhere along the way), and after looking through all of bluecats stuff i knew Shiitakes would work excellent on them.

i also used karo-tek for each of those edibles i mentioned, and that worked great.
-'didn't use any plugs or dowels, just karo/mycelium solution in syringes, but i would think that the plugs would perform better.
I keep my clean jar

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did many with karo.the plugs have worked much better.have you fruited any reishi yet?

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and since logs produce 2 flushes a year,they need to be dried......
What is this about. My logs produce shiitake almost every time it rains. And that is more than twice a year............slp/fmrc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19050
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 05:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

shitake on pf cakes are great for home use.it is a steady supply of huge,gourmet quality mushrooms,fresh year round.

sounds great.
i'd love to see more trying this out.

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stephen,maybe your warm climate makes them produce so much.in my area,i've had to submerge them just to get 3 flushes.how many flushes a year do you usually get?

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our logs usually put out about 15 flushes. There are many northern or cold weather strains. Maybe you are using a warm weather strain in a too far north climate. In any case, they wouldn't be worth my time if I only got 2 or 3 flushes a year....I had no idea anybody had to go through this.......never heard of such. I feel for you.....slp/fmrc

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 06:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi,
since i do not know if my shiitake is cold or hot weather strain?
is there a way to know,
except milions of experiments?

thanks

bluecat (Bluecat)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow,i wish i could get 15 flushes.maybe it is the strain.i don't know anyone growing them around here,and i always thought it was normal getting them spring and fall.not worth the work for 3 flushes,so i just stick to cakes.

JackB (Jackb)
Username: Jackb

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you reproduce shitake and other edible mushrooms? I will be moving into this project aswell, thanks.

Its Nice To Be Important But Its More Important To Be Nice

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 03:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I put these cakes next to my other cakes? Any humidity/temp/light changes here?
Hi-ya!

Cleanjar (Cleanjar)
Username: Cleanjar

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 07:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bluecat asked: have you fruited any reishi yet?
-Nope, not yet, my culture was contam'd; i did try it on the PF cakes and tossed them yesterday because they stunk like fish. I had high hopes for them working good on the PF cakes though and i will try it again once i get a new culture..

bluecat said: i wish i could get 15 flushes.
-i think Steven is using Oak logs.. isn't that normal to get about a dozen (Shiitake) flushes off a log??
I keep my clean jar

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 04:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cakes have been birthed, and the millet/bran shiitake cakes are barking over. The reishi are starting to change a little in color, but not much is happening with them. I do have what may be reishi pins forming on a pint sized millet/bran cake.

The shiitake cakes are looking much better than the reishi cakes. At bith I dunked the shiitake cakes for about 4hrs, but I did not dunk the reishi cakes.

The reishi cakes were very fragile and falling apart at birth, so I thought I would let them recover in the fruiting chamber. They have recovered slightly. I am thinking about dunking them, but I think that pins are starting to form on some of them. Any suggestions?