Rye Grass Seed..Where do I get it?? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Where can I get Supplies? Rye Grass Seed..Where do I get it?? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Lothar187 (Lothar187)
Username: Lothar187

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 03:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've checked a couple of places but all the seed I find has fungicides or other nasty crap on it. Where do I find rye grass seed without that stuff on it??!?
Lothar the Barbarian is here to pillage and plunder

shroomgirl (Shroomgirl)
Username: Shroomgirl

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use walmart brand "annual ryegrass seed". It too is treated. I just soak (1hr) and rinse 3-4 times. I have not had any problems this way, but it would be cool if there was someplace that sold untreated ryegrass seed.

Lothar187 (Lothar187)
Username: Lothar187

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 05:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about doin that but it doesnt seem like that would get all the nasty stuff off. I'm sure you can get untreated seed somewhere, I just don't know where.
Lothar the Barbarian is here to pillage and plunder

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 918
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 03:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to a feed store. (farm animals) I get mine from a garden supply center...

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)
Username: Bassplar99

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 07:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a feed store and bought some regular rye and had no growth on it whatsoever so I threw it out. I have read in a few books that some of this seed from feed stores is also treated with fungicide. I was going to start using rye grass seed because it has a larger surface area in comparison to rye berries, but I cannot find it. I have looked a lot too.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 925
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I went to a feed store and bought some regular rye and had no growth on it whatsoever so I threw it out. I have read in a few books that some of this seed from feed stores is also treated with fungicide. I was going to start using rye grass seed because it has a larger surface area in comparison to rye berries, but I cannot find it. I have looked a lot too

Well if you simply have exhausted places to look, try poking around a few of our sponsor's webpages. I know of a couple that sell it.
Also what species are you trying to grow? Something like Mex A or a cubie?

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am growing Puerto Rican and Golden Teacher on the rye berries right now. This rye is from a health food store. I am positive the rye from the feed store had fungicide on it. I would like to try Mex A which is why I am looking.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 927
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would like to try Mex A which is why I am looking.

I nocc'd up 7 jars, only 1 germinated.
I think Rodger Rabbit said none of his germinated, he used agar.
You might have more success if you use agar first.
- Confucius

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are on sale this month at sporeworks I think, but if they are too hard to get to germinate it is not worth it. I am definately using agar for everything now.

Expert Contam Grower (Exprtcntamgrowr)
Username: Exprtcntamgrowr

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to a seed company (in farm country) and buy the cheapest rye seed they have. It'll have some pebbles in it and some other stray debris but it's not treated with fungicide. $7.99 for a 50lb bag.
I grow everything very well, Green mold exceptionaly well.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found some grass seed at Lowes called 'green lawns'. If you read the small print on the back of the bag, it has three different types of rye grass seed in it, even though it doesn't say so on the front of the package. It works like a charm.

It won't matter if the grass seed has fungicide or not if you start your cultures on agar first. If you don't know how to use agar, start the spores on popcorn, then when fully colonized, do a g2g over to the rye grass seed. The fungicides used only stop spores from germinating, not live mycelium. That is why we were having a hard time getting spores of the mex a to germinate. On agar, they germinate very easily, so there is nothing wrong with the product from sporeworks. My first 'proof jar' of mex a is fruiting now.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 931
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My first 'proof jar' of mex a is fruiting now.

I have my jars colonizing, when should i break one up for fruiting?
(remember how it colonizes with the quickness gray, and then how it colonzies back over with the spotted white)...
also did ya case straight rye grass or did you spawn it?

i think the other tek i saw said they cased it straight with peat moss...

btw i got 21 jars from 1 jar of grass seed.

- Confucius

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 04:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool on getting 21 to one. You won't get that with popcorn, or even rye berries for sure. What I always do to proof strains is to leave about one inch of colonized rye in a jar after doing g2g. Add two inches of compost and allow to colonize. When fully colonized(it takes only about a week with the mex a) add an inch of peat/verm casing on top. Place in grow chamber or greenhouse and wait for fruits. Here's my first three mex a pins in a jar. This is my sclerotia producing isolate. It would appear it's also kick ass for fruiting, as it's only been two and a half weeks since I spawned the darn thing.
Upload
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 19251
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The fungicides used only stop spores from germinating, not live mycelium. That is why we were having a hard time getting spores of the mex a to germinate. On agar, they germinate very easily, so there is nothing wrong with the product from sporeworks.

interesting.
maybe sporeworks should include a warning to this effect

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 19252
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material