Archive through May 12, 2004 Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Coming into the closet for the first time- Set up with pics - Sweetness Plz Look! Archive through May 12, 2004 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)
Username: Sluggo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UploadUpload

So I got my first casings done in 60/40 coir, I dunked the cakes for 14 hours and they where all in great shape. My popcorns turned out the best and they where way better for casing. I left the casing covered up with tinfoil sealed around the edes with tyvek for 3 days so the myc would grow to the surface - I've left two others for a couple days more to see if there is a difference.

I'm installing the fans on it soon with polyfill filters.

Temperature is ranging from 68 to 75 degrees and I have the new coolmist humidifier running for half an hour every other hour on a timer. I'm monitoring it with a new digital hygrometer that gives me daily MAX/MIN.

What is the ideal humidity level for this? 86%?
I figured Sweetness would know how long to run this for since I'm copying your setup - Any Pointers???

Cheers all!

Rome is falling so have a good time!

pkeffect (Pkeffect)
Username: Pkeffect

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that 86% is a good #. I always thought keep the humidity as high as possible. Only because of constant fresh air input.

Your fans will push the humidity lower depending on you run them. So adujust humidifier accordingly.

There is no exchange really as fresh air is constantly pumped in and keeping the humidity down.

If the casing begins to dry out then mist by hand. If it looks really wet you make want to tip your trays and see if anything pours out of them.

pkeffect

(Message edited by pkeffect on May 06, 2004)
Know Your Mileage

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 18324
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should be more like 90% now, maybe even 95%,
as you aren't pinning yet,
see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/3007.ht ml?1005272688

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've seen one could probably set their chamber to be around 93-97% for the whole cycle really, as long as you take effort to not over mist your casings. After all the growth parameters say 95-100 for pinning and 85-92 for fruiting. Especially if you have good air exchange as well. Am I wrong in assuming so?

My casings have all been in a perlite chamber and worked out fine so I don't bother really. Heheh but maybe I'm just lucky.
Life can only be as good as you imagine.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never exposed these to light so I didn.t expect pinning.the picture was taken at the time they where exposed.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 01:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how long until these should have shrooms?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18384
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 06:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd need to see a better pic to know.

Noneya Business (Domey)
Advanced Member
Username: Domey

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would of definatly patched those guys. 90% is a good steady RH%. Normally you would want 95% before pinning, and 85% for pinning. 90% is a good mid point though.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would of definatly patched those guys.

why would you patch? what If I leave them?

I don't know shit about doing this!

(Message edited by sluggo on May 07, 2004)

Noneya Business (Domey)
Advanced Member
Username: Domey

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patching would of helped with a more even pinset.

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

Here's Day two - myc has covered more of the top and there are little balls forming. I can't get a better shot with my camera it has afixed focus.

k mush (Spadlishus7)
Username: Spadlishus7

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, patchin would've helped alot. also, a more even surface for your substrate before casing too (looks kinda lumpy under the casing layer)
looking good though some people don't even get that far

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 12:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now i understand....I didn't know that you want it to come up even.I was speaking to a friend who said patching sometimes has contamination problems.What do you think? I've got a few more jars that are ready to case I'll try to maintain a more level surface with the substrate when I do em up.

I've got five jars of honey water going now that are all growing fast, three days and already some big growth. when is this ready to use?
Upload

(Message edited by sluggo on May 08, 2004)

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

It's Day 5 - Temp has bee maintained between 72 to 75 degrees

Humidity on the digital rig has been 97 to 99% humiidity.

I have left them alone pretty much (except for looking at them) I've opened the green house three times to place jars and stuff. Other than that i havn't been fanning or hand misting.

The Cool mist appears to be doing a great job

the casings have LOTS of what I am assuming are primordia (white stemmy penis looking things- although no colouration of the heads have been seen) lots of bmps are forming as well.
It has drastic changes each day with more and more myc coming to the surfaces.

The casing closest to the outside appears to be doing the best (I wonder if cause its the one I look at the most?) It's also Popcorn.

All casings a 60/40 coir/verm

Lighting - I'm using a gro-flow and I've had it on 24/7 should I start it on an 18hr a day cycle?

I'm also want to put in the fan/filters that I've got but I might wait till these casings are finished before disturbing the enviroment.

Cheers!

Thanks alot for this site. It's helped alot.
"I'd hate to advocate drugs or liquor, or insanity to anyone. but in my case, it's working"

grasshopper wilkins (Triked)
Username: Triked

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i fan my casings three times a day when it starts to pin. i fan about 15 minutes before the humidifier comes on.

and i drop the humidity to about 80%-90%.

the little bumps if theyre like little round balls those are what turn into mushies.

(Message edited by triked on May 11, 2004)
"Little boy lost takes himself so seriously. Brags of his misery, he likes to live life dangerously." -Bob Dylan

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I missed this thread until now! (good pot) Mine humidity runs around 86. NICE set up!!
'We are operating on many levels here.' Ken Kesey

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorry I missed this thread until now! (good pot) Mine humidity runs around 86. NICE set up!!

I have been hoping you'd take a gander at this as I've made a copy of your system. Thanks for sharing

I hand faned today cause the temperature has spiked where I am. The inside of the closet hit 80.
I'm concerned about contams with fanning because of mold in the old place i live in, although I've been pretty diligent about keeping clean. Lot's of lysol and showers.

I'm gonn cut out a few time cycles on the humidifyer to bring humidity down.

I'll deal with my fanning issue's tomorrow.

Thanks Again!
"I'd hate to advocate drugs or liquor, or insanity to anyone. but in my case, it's working"

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'My' system is based on HF's.
Link Respect due

I turn the lights on when I get up and off when I go to bed.

You def need to watch that temp for pinning. Its harder to get the humidity adjusted to stay high with lower temps, it just takes some tinkering.

I mist the bottom, sides and shelves with 1/200 bleach/water once a week. I also add a few drops of iodine to the humidifier and always use distilled water. So far I haven't had any contam issues.

I have seen a few gnats here and there but misting with the bleach/water seems to kill them off, atleast temporarily. I'll see a couple flying around, mist and won't see them again for a couple of weeks. Obviously either they are getting in somehow or I'm not killing the larvae, only adults.

'We are operating on many levels here.' Ken Kesey

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have seen a few gnats here and there but misting with the bleach/water seems to kill them off, atleast temporarily. I'll see a couple flying around, mist and won't see them again for a couple of weeks. Obviously either they are getting in somehow or I'm not killing the larvae, only adults.

If you are only seeing a couple here and there then they are coming from outside. If you had a nest you'd know, because you'd see a gnat every few minutes, esp near anything wet (like bulk sub or baskets).
I take those fly paper boards, cut them to size, use a hole punch to punch me a hole, then i use either a zip tie, duct tape, or a rubber band, and i hang it to the area i want it.
i have 2 of these inside my greenhouse.
couple inside my bulk sub box.
1 hanging on my shower head (spare bathroom)
and 1 under the bar counter....
none are very visible, and it's the front line to keeping bugs away. (i had an outbreak of gnats... still do... all i can do is control them until my bulk sub project is over)
it's better to put up all these fly boards BEFORE you get an infestation. if you have no idea what i'm talking about tell me, and i'll snap a photo....
peace

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand."
- Confucius

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

'My' system is based on HF's.
Link Respect due

Your right!

Marvin Martian turned me onto your setup http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/7747/1272 57.html and I followed your link to High Flyers shortly after http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/87192.h tml?1071104749

Thanks Folks! I'm glad you shared our empire of dirt

I can only imagine the mistakes that i would have made to come to this point.

P.s. Thanks Hip!

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

mist the bottom, sides and shelves with 1/200 bleach/water once a week. I also add a few drops of iodine to the humidifier and always use distilled water. So far I haven't had any contam issues.

I was wondering what you do for drainidge in the bottom. I have the bottom of my unit sealed with plastic and tyvek tape. I've put some hydrogen peroxide into it to keep things clean but I'm thinking of putting in a collector drain.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 18868
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:
I would of definatly patched those guys.

why would you patch?

Archives Casings What is patch-casing and what is it good for?

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I now believe that patching is not as important as I once thought it was. It will help to create a more even pinset, but the yeild will end up being the same, with or without it. If you dont have much time, then this tek can be skipped without ill results.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Dr.Pepper (Sluggo)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do casings creat their own heat in the fruiting chamber?

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they will create a small amount of heat themselves. It will not significantly impact the temperature of your chamber however.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost