Using agar to clone dried shrooms? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Cloning. Cloning Using Dry Tissue Using agar to clone dried shrooms? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

misfit boy (Js138)
Username: Js138

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it possible to clone a mushroom using agar if the mushroom is dried? if so...is there a special different technique i should use or special part of the shroom?
-js138-

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you can clone a dried mushroom just fine. I've even cloned ones that have been dried with dessicant and stored in a bag with silica gel for over a year.

No special tek. Just mix up your agar a bit wet. Use 75-80% of the recommended amount of MEA in water.

Watch for the myc to start growing. It usually takes a week or two to take off. The contams will be right behind, or sometimes even ahead of the mushroom mycelia. You have to watch very carefully for the first signs of mushroom myc, and transfer it to a new, waiting petri dish. Do this two or three times, and you'll be able to outrun the contaminants and get a clean culture.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Rev Jim (Rev_jim_m_jones)
Username: Rev_jim_m_jones

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shit?

Whaddaya know 'bout that??!!??

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Username: Fmrc

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 06:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how mushroom cultures are held in culture banks.......dried state. slp/fmrc

Rev Jim (Rev_jim_m_jones)
Username: Rev_jim_m_jones

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So dried mycelia is in a state of hibernation?

Sorta?

Wow, I never knew that.

So how does that work? Do those rehydrating bring back life or did life never leave them?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 19350
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey rodg...
since the idea of the extra wet agar is to help speed rehydration of the mycellial tissue,
i wondered if you have ever tried tossing a few dry sections of tissue in a liquid culture ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 19351
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

? (Superunborn)
Intermediate Member
Username: Superunborn

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe with a soak in some peroxide beforehand?

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i wondered if you have ever tried tossing a few dry sections of tissue in a liquid culture ?

No.

The dry tissue will have lots of contaminant spores all over it. You need the two dimensional space of a petri dish to isolate the mushroom myc from the bad stuff.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix