Would it work? Earplug Injection Port Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Ľ Archive Ľ Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A Ľ Would it work? Earplug Injection Port ę Previous Next Ľ

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

mike (Pxdia)
Username: Pxdia

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 09:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know i should just try but, maybe someone has walked this road before. can i use earplugs (the yellow foam ones) in the top of a half pint karo water as a spot to put the neddle in at. like a self healing thingy to keep contams out. the part im worried about is when i PC it will it screw it up? or maybe i should just test it out?

(Message edited by pxdia on May 18, 2004)
I love adult swim!

Niick (Dark_reaper)
Intermediate Member
Username: Dark_reaper

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 09:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that they will melt when PC'd

Rev Jim (Rev_jim_m_jones)
Username: Rev_jim_m_jones

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, if they didn't melt they would make a good barrier, I'd think.

But I love polyfill, its just so easy to tear open an old pillow and snag the polyfill. You feel like you're reusing something that was never intended to grow shrooms. I like that alot, too. I like walking down the cooking isle thinking of all the ways I could use those items for my evil projects!

Baaahaaa haaaa haaaaa!!! (hands wringing each other!)

mike (Pxdia)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 06:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i have alot of polyfil but i dont like:
1. that it gets damp when PC/ed and I fill thats an open door to contams I feel.

2. man is that stuff hard to handle... i mean i get polyfil every where

3.well there was no #3 but i didnt want only 2 weak reasons...

anyway im going to test my doomed to fail idea and let yall know whats up so if any other newbie's that want to have great ideas you can tell then "hey mike did that and like all he does, it didnt work"

(Message edited by pxdia on May 20, 2004)
I love adult swim!

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's a great idea!
An even better idea if it works....
It depends on what type of plastic they used, my guess is that they used the cheap stuff, which will melt, but you never know. it's deffinitely worth trying!
--Pskov(insky)
"There are two types of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig, you dig"

(no, it's not my car, wish it was)

mike (Pxdia)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 01:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i tested my idea today. i pc cooked a 1/2 pint jar with a little foam ear plug i stole from wal-mart (ill get the name later, come on i stole it)
i put a screwdriver threw the top of my jar about 1/3 the size of the plug the pushed it in then pc cooked it at 15 lbs for 15 mins ( i know i could go longer next time, but i wanted to know what was happening, and nothing melting to my presto.) at the end of the 15 mins i let it cool off a little then inspected my project,
i found that there was no melting happening and that no water got in to the jar. the top part of the plug was moist and a little soft but the part in the jar was dry and nowhere near as soft.\
i hope to test this a little more before i try useing it with my babys. is there any other test i should do that will help me find out any problems? ideas?

ill post pics when i get some batterys for my cam tomarrow.

(Message edited by pxdia on May 21, 2004)
I love adult swim!

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting, that sounds like it might work really well....
keep us informed!
--Pskov(insky)
"There are two types of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig, you dig"

(no, it's not my car, wish it was)

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member
Username: Pinwisher

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A cheap, locally obtained alternative to innoculation plugs... Hmmmm.......I wonder if they are 100% self-healing?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 19608
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 03:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you'd proly want to glue that plug in place to make a better seal and to prevent its' moving when the needle slides thru.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19609
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 03:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

mycos eleusis (Exshroomer)
Username: Exshroomer

Post Number: 997
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you'd proly want to glue that plug in place to make a better seal and to prevent its' moving when the needle slides thru."

True, but I'm thinking that the material may be really dense, and it'd be a bitch to put the needle through...I hope that's not the case though, if it works for you, I'm going out to buy some earplugs!

mike (Pxdia)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I finished my project. I used a Ĺ pint jar and placed a Ĺ cm hole in the top.
I got a 50 pack of ear plugs from wal-mart for around $8. Twisting the plug iin to shape for the lid was easier then I thought. Itís a snug fit so I donít think glue is needed, but it could be an option .I filled my half pint jars half way with karo water then PC/ed it @15 lbs for 45 minís.
I let it cool off then blot the plug dry on the top with a paper towel. It returned to a simi foam like (felt just a little more spongy afterwards but still reformed quickly) I used a new needle and pulled karo water out of the jar then cleaned the needle with alcohol then put back the water in the jar. The plug reformed after seconds completely after many time of sticking it. (about 15 times) This is probably not the best way to test if it get contams ease, but itís the only way I thought of sence I donít money or spores. Im wouldnít mine any input, I would love for some else to find some uses for this, I just didnít want to use polyfil for my karo. Ill update about the jars in some days. Peace=-

sorry about the pics my cheap cam hates close up's.

Upload

(Message edited by pxdia on May 22, 2004)
I love adult swim!

Vincent Forster (Hellosidney2010)
Username: Hellosidney2010

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work, Sidney.

Look to yourself for answers and you will not be wanting. Takaun Soho

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19672
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool,
post updates, plz once germination occurs

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Username: Pinwisher

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 08:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great. I'm all over that myself when I do some spore water this week.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20010
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any signs of life yet ?

perpetually LOST (Lost_onabbey_rd)
Intermediate Member
Username: Lost_onabbey_rd

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very cool, thanks for the idea mike. i have one question though, do you think that the ear plug is breathable enough for a liquid culture? i think he said he didn't have any spores to work with, so if somebody else would like to finish his little experiment, or somebody might be able to send him some spores for such a great idea, so he can test his idea himself, i would i'm in no place to do so, i am 300 miles from home and won't be back any time soon.
LOST :-)
a fat belly cannot believe that such a thing as hunger exists. It is something you have to go through and understand. No one can eat and digest your food for you in order to give you the necessary strength to live. - Bruce Lee

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20059
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i think he said he didn't have any spores to work with,

doh.

missed that.
i bet if one left a bit of air in the jar
being breatheable wouldn't matter
i think this one will work

mike (Pxdia)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok got an update. i started my karo water, but i dont think that i have got the karo/water ratio right, or maybe i pc to much, but it has a little yellow tint to the water, i also did get some spore prints, i had to use an old syringe since i dont have any new ones. i hope i did this one right. so far no contams on the 2nd day now, but i think im going to restart the experiment when i get some new syringes in a few days (if my new home boy comes threw) ill update agian with pics in 2 days.

I love adult swim!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20107
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

maybe i pc to much, but it has a little yellow tint to the water

proly right then

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20109
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if it is what i suspect,
carmelized sugars,
then it will slow growth a bit.
karo should remain clear.
honey of course is already yellow.