Major millets tek - question Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Worm Castings Major millets tek - question Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Intermediate Member
Username: Pinwisher

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am doing Major Millets Tek to the "T". so far things are going perfect.

This one: http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/135444. html?1082319839

I had completely white myc last Thursday, the corn and castings were perfect. There were a couple of pins so I picked 'em. Thursday night I pasturized the straw and spawned into the straw Friday morning. I broke up the spawn very well and cased with 1/4 of it as per the tek. Today is Wednesday, it has been 6 days and there are PINS, about 20 that are 1/2 to 1 inch big. The temp has been 84 all along.

What gives? I thought pinning would not start until I dropped the temp and I thought it took longer. I would not worry as much but I KNOW the straw is not completely colonized after 6 days.

Do you guys think I'm OK or what. I'm open to suggestions...Should I keep the temp at 84, or drop it and fruit this tub?

Thanks a lot.

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK - Could not resist. Here are some pics.

The first is the tub. Only six days since I spawned into straw. The second is a close up of said pins.

The third is my invitro jars I started with G2G popcorn, almost a week old. Also some honey water, 3 days old. It gets foamy when shaken, (It's not fuzz in the pic, it's foam) is it normal???

The fourth is a juice jug I stuffed with straw and my last QT of corn. Basically the same as the straw log tek, only I had no bags, but I did have that juice jug. There is a hole at the top for air exchange.

I plan on birthing the mini log when there are pins. I was going to saw it in half length wise for fruiting. What do you think? Cut or leave it alone?

Just having fun here...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 19437
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought pinning would not start until I dropped the temp

a common misconception
but not true.
they'll fruit fine at high temps,
even into the 90's outdoors.
but we don't go that high indoors
as the heat is just too stressful
and makes contams grow even faster too.

i do not like the look of your pcorn/castings.
i see bare pcorn kernels exposed,
that will very likely contaminate soon
if you don't get it covered up with pasturized casing mix

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip, What do you suggest I do procedure-wise.

Maybe pick the pins, spray with H2O2 and case 50-50 verm/coir?

Maybe just case it with the pins on it?

Let it flush out, hope for the best, then case?

I'm a bit bummed as I followed the tek EXACTLY.

Should I drop the temp?

Thanks

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19444
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks a bit too late to do much
but just ride it out.
adding more now might even make matters worse.
proly best to focus on trich prevention now.
that means lots of fresh air and maybe even some indirect sunlight if possible.
i would not resort to peroxie or bleach, etc. yet,
wait until it's needed.
also drop humidity to the low side for fruiting,
80-85%
temp in the low 70's or even upper 60's might help
but fresh air and indirect sunlight are really your 2 best friends in fighting trich.

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You rule Hip. I can fruit at 66-68 degrees. I'll move that puppy in the A.M. Sunlight might be a problem, although I can give it tons of light. I will start fanning also...

Since it is straw, should I leave the tub cracked open, maybe cover the surface with wax paper ala Rodger Rabbit, maybe keep trich spores off that way...

Just brainstorming...

If I do get "triched", I can cut it out and salt it if I catch it early, right?

Crossing my fingers...

I still wonder where I went wrong in the tek...

Thanks a lot

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also some honey water, 3 days old. It gets foamy when shaken, (It's not fuzz in the pic, it's foam) is it normal???

Any ideas here, I see a *bit* of growth off the Myc I tossed in there after 3 days...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19447
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

artificial light is ineffective,
you'll need real indirect sunlight
which is lethal to trich
proly what went wrong was the grain wasn't allowed to recover after being dug out of the jars/bags
so bare areas were exposed.
let spawn sit covered 24-48 hours after breaking it up to use as spawn.
also leave the grain sub-surface,
mix it good but then save the last half inch on top for just pure castings, no grain.
or case it as soon as you spawn.
fan very often, 4-6 times a day now
i'd not cover it as that will trap stagnant air,
now your enemy.
it may get a bit dry but that's ok,
better than moldy.
you can inject water subsurface to compensate.

(Message edited by admin on May 20, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19448
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

foam is not a good sign,
typically indicates the presence of yeasts,
a common nasty contam.
smell like beer yet ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19449
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, in worst case if you see visible trich cut it all out [careful not to push mold into the casing, cut well outside the mold patch, don't touch/disturb the mold just cut out the entire area and heavily salt the wound.

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

smell like beer yet ?

Mmmmmm.... beer....

I'll crack it and check

I used to brew beer, got tired of it...

If artifical light is ineffective, it must be the UV rays that kills trich?

If one were to have access to a medical UVB light, would that be effective? How many minutes per day would you suggest would be appropriate?

I assume UVB light would not harm pins, Myc...

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last question for tonight... If I get a good first flush and manage to fight off contams, I would case for the rest of the flushes, correct?

Thanks again Hip, Have a good night...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19451
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UVB light will damage the DNA
which is why the light must be indirect,
low intensity

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 11:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved to a cooler location - 68 degreees. cracked the top 1/4 inch. Condensation on the sides has diminished a bit. Fanning 3-4 times a day. Things are looking good. Pins are getting larger, counted about 50 and a dozen or so are about 1 inch and FAT. Keeping my fingers crossed.

No visible contams yet and the popcorn that was visible is getting slowly covered...

Pics in a couple days. Hopefully I will get some prints on this flush.

Thanks again.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19589
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 01:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No visible contams yet and the popcorn that was visible is getting slowly covered...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19590
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 01:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If I get a good first flush and manage to fight off contams, I would case for the rest of the flushes, correct?

tough call,
the surface is now already covered with mold spores so covering them with damp casing would proly lead to contams
so my advice is still to just ride it out 'as is'

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 19591
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 01:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the myc is ripping through my straw jug. Will definately post some pics of that puppy...

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Never fails to amaze me how fast these grow.. I pulled about 20 shrooms off my straw casing along with about 10 aborts maybe 1/2 to an inch high. The veils had torn on 6 of them and I needed to do some prints. The others I took were perfect picking. There are still about 30 shrooms left that are close and a few abhorts that need to get plucked.

The thing I notoce about the popcorn, especially uncased, is the fact that when you remove the shrooms, huge chunks of corn come off with them, leaving gaping holes. This worries me a bit, have to wait and see...Maybe patch with some sterile verm?

I honestly didn't weigh them, but they were nice and meaty, with stems as thick as my thumb.

I was overcautios and printed in my glovebox, even letting spores drop for 12 hours and tossing the prints before setting the caps on fresh pieces of sterile foil. I hope I have success...

My straw jug experiment is maybe 80% and my invitro jars have slowed down, maybe I will pull off the foil to let 'em breathe a bit...

Basically I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here at Mycotopia fo all your help. This is a great community. Will post some pics before I strip my tub for the next flush.

Thanks again.

BTW - 100'th post baby!!

pinwisher (Pinwisher)

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a couple more pics. I picked 1/4 yesterday on the dehydrater trays, 1/4 today on the towel, and the rest is still in the tub. also have about 50 aborts. I figure I'll weigh 'em all when they are dry. I did 3 spore prints and if I can manage it, I'll do some more along with some spore water.

Upload
Upload