Spore printing - question on sterility Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Spores, Prints & Syringes Spore printing - question on sterility Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

pinwisher (Pinwisher)
Username: Pinwisher

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 02:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that most of the TEKS for spore printing are subject to contams.

I did the oven dish tek from FSRE in my glovebox. The only other TEK that seems as though it would be sterile enough is this one:
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/67569.h tml?1071240671

How do folks get away with printing on thier kitchen tables, in open air? Even if you swipe alcohol on the foil and cover with a glass to dry, you still need to pick up the glass to throw the print under, thus subjecting the foil to contams.

It seems that printing outside a glovebox would be just a waste of time, begging to fail.

I took 3 prints in a glovebox, and did another 5 last night in open air. What are my chances that the ones in open air will be any good. I had time constraints, so I didn't use the box...

I read in depth about Rodgers opinion (I think it was Rodger)about growing prints out on agar. It seems this is the only way to gurantee a clean strain from a print.

Am I missing something?

Roo (Tehuti)
Username: Tehuti

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

b{How do folks get away with printing on their kitchen tables, in open air? Even if you swipe alcohol on the foil and cover with a glass to dry, you still need to pick up the glass to throw the print under, thus subjecting the foil to con tams.}

I dont think you can ever have a completely germ free environment in your home. I have done prints both ways, in the open and in a glove box. They work fine either way and I have not had any problems. The trick is to work fast and not breath or stir up the air. If I am making prints to trade I ALWAYS do them in the glovebox.. dont want to feel like I am ripping anyone.

I think what RR is talking about is selecting mycelia from a multi spore inoculation. I think he is selecting genetics. I have done this with wild edible mushrooms, but its better to clone them first, then go back and select from a multispore plate. You can do this sort of thing with cubes, but a glovebox is a must.

petri dish (Petri)
Username: Petri

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do mine in a sealed cleaned disposable tupperware in front of a flow hood, and I've had those contam before. I don't know if it was the print or when I later added sterilized water and used them, I guess my point here is sometimes you fail no matter how careful you are. For that reason I take many more precautions than chances and I usually come out ahead.

pinwisher (Pinwisher)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Roo.

I'm actually off the the health food store today to get some agar and capsules (for dosing)

Gonna start to look for some plates...

I also would feel bad trading with someone and the print being junk...

(Message edited by pinwisher on May 27, 2004)

CptnMaxMushroom (Captainmax)
Username: Captainmax

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 04:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The air just isn't as contaminated as some people think. Basic cleanliness around the house, making sure that there are no mouldy cakes in the vicinity, washing your hands or using latex gloves and working in a clean spot...thats all you really need.

There are always contaminants in the air but you really need a lot in one spot for it to take hold.

There seems to be a lot of overkill in this hobby. Generally, air filters, masks, cones of silence....you can get away without them for basic home cultivation purposes.

www.sporelab.com

www.sporelab.com
Visit the SporeLab
It's a trip you'll never forget!

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this tek works really good for using and reusing your prints without ever using a glovebox or flowhood.. the only time the inside is explosed to air is when you take the cap in and out of the jar... I use a toothpick to handle the cap, so the transaction is as fast and smooth as possible.. I haven't had a 'bad' pokaprint yet.. lost a couple jars but thats going to happen anyway you slice it. you don't have to use a magnet either... I used a broken piece glass before i switched to the covered nut. I just wasn't happy not getting ALL the spores. hehe :-)

fahtster
Yo. :-)

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep I print on a piece of foil with a 1/2 pint sitting on top of it upside down. Clean the foil and jar with alcohol before hand. No problems at all from it...
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Solly the Printman (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 05:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christ -

That's a lot of work for a print & syringe...

I just print mine onto tyvek, under a jar.
I spray the tyvek with alcohol, let it evaporate,
then poke a cap w/ a toothpick,
cut the open cap off & put it onto the tyvek, put
jar on top (clean the jar w/ alcohol too)

After 6-8 hrs, I switch out the tyvek for a new
peice, I usually toss the first print just in case.

I never touch the tyvek itself - I use a hemostat
that I clean regularly w/ alcohol.

I leave the toothpick in the shroom for easy handling.

It's not hard to get a clean print, you just have to use
common sterility procedures...

I put my prints into ziploc baggies (already sterile)
and pop a syringe in there and squirt the spores off
the tyvek. If necessary, I rub the print thru the
bag w/ my fingers to get spores off..

quick, easy, no PC'ing, rubberized nuts (although that sounds like fun)
or any of that mess...

:-)

sol

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geez sol, you make it sound like im building a hovercraft... you know like the ones in the back of a magazine that you can use vaccuum cleaner motors for. lol it's not bad at all esp. if you just use a broken piece of glass. You can PC a shitload at a time and just store the sterile jars til you need to use em. Hip had a better idea than the rubberizing... nail polish or paint. they are reusable too.. I made ten of them three months ago and im still on the first one. :-) not trying to sell my ideas upon ya... just sayin its not as hard as it sounds.

fahtty

Rev Jim (Rev_jim_m_jones)
Username: Rev_jim_m_jones

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 06:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with CaptMush, making prints is a piece of cake - it's the syringe that takes a little effort to get right.

Solly the Printman (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol @ faht -

When I was a kid, my mom caught me sneaking off to
the shed w/ the vacuum cleaner - I was ready to
hover alright! Had the plans and everything. Probably just as well
I couldn't weld anything at the time - might'a hurt myself!

Several years later she caught me with the vacuum
cleaner again, but unfortunately for me I didn't
have the foresight to go out to the shed . . .
Let's just say that my interest in the vacuum had
taken a new turn. Sometimes while perusing the
shop vacs at Home Depot, I still get a vague stirring
in my loins . . . ah, the wonder years!

But I digress (regress?) -

The tek is sound, no doubt, but I still prefer printing
flat - easier and smaller storage. I have a rather
large print collection that would take up a lot of
room (not to mention jars) if I were to print like
you suggest.

I'm too lazy to PC anything but substrate, therefore
I like to stick to what's cheap and pre-sterilized.
Besides, my wife told me that I can't buy any more
mason jars unless I'm making jelly.

When company comes over, someone invariably sees
jars sitting by the dishwasher and asks,
"oh, you can a lot then, eh?"
We always have jars laying around, but oddly enough
we never serve any preserved foods . . .

hmmm...

All that, and I also like to send out prints whenever
I can - to the 'topia, friends, spore rings, etc,
and jars have obvious issues...

I still say you can't beat a ziploc bag for cheapness,
sterility, and ease of use / storage, but (as you say)
I'm not trying to sell anyone on it, just presenting an
alternative.

When the sun goes down, all that matters is what
works for you, after all!

It's so cool that you're a mod Faht!

:-)

Sol

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya brotha. :-) LOL too funny about the vaccuum.. lucky it wasn't one of those 'inhose fan motor' types! LOL ouch.

fahtster

HF (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

print on a piece of foil with a 1/2 pint sitting on top of it upside down. Clean the foil and jar with alcohol before hand. No problems at all from it...

This is my method as well.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

pinwisher (Pinwisher)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rodger. Some may think it's a lot of work, but I would rather go that route than go through the hassle of pc'ing jars and knocking 'em up, only to have them contam.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, it's a drag to spend a whole day getting the jars ready, only to shoot them with a contaminated syringe, and not even know about it for another week after that. It really sets the hobby back.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Roo (Tehuti)

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rodger rabbit,

Thats perhaps the best "instruction" on strain selection I have ever seen. I am glad you are here man and I have been in the "hobby" for quite a few years.

I have learned alot from you and thanks for your hard work. Your pretty cool, and I cannot believe you used to be a politician.. Hippie did a good thing in making you a mod.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great descriptions guys
archive material to prints (if not already there)
Hope this helps :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 20225
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hippie did a good thing

i don't get to hear that phrase much...
thx

Roo (Tehuti)

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 01:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! I bet Mrs Hippie says that all the time... You cant be all that bad keeping this site going and keeping her also.

yfrefje (Booger)
Intermediate Member
Username: Booger

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what kinda health food store woould you go to to find agar and gel caps???
anybody know of any in canada???

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 20432
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

organic type grocers
also i've found agar in vietnamese and korean shops