Cloning Using Dry Tissue Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Cloning. Cloning Using Dry Tissue Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
EQ pins from dry tissue Karo Tek1dumbmyco Tumbz 19 1 01-18-05  12:37 am
Spores from dried shrooms?misfit boyChris15 1 05-10-04  02:25 pm
Using agar to clone dried shrooms?misfit boy rodger rabbit 9 1 05-18-04  08:09 pm
Keeping Mushroom Cultures For Long Period Of TimeStephen L. Peele Hippie3 6 1 05-30-04  01:23 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 20292
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey rodger-
let's build a nice thread for the archives covering this exciting 're-discovery'.

by Pinback

quote:

I've tried this with dried agar. 20 days ago, I cut a couple of wedges from a colonized cubensis plate and put them in an empty plastic petri dish, which was stored at room temperature. After laying there and drying for 19 days, I placed one of them on a fresh non-peroxidated PDYA plate. The wedge looked really dry to me and was very hard. To my surprise, as I did not expect this result, there is growth today, only 1.5 days after I put it there:

Upload

later

quote:

It definitely looks like cubensis mycelium:

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20293
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Prepare the agar a bit on the wet side to help hydrate the tissue. Also, be ready with fresh plates to transfer into, because all the contamination on the dried fruit will also begin to grow. You'll have to transfer healthy mycelia as soon as you see it to a new petri dish. It generally takes ten days to two weeks, sometimes longer, for the dried fruit to begin to grow again. Unfortunately the contamination doesn't need that long, so you have a bit of work to do to clean up the culture, but it will work.
It's been done for many years in the commercial mushroom industry. It's the standard way they keep and trade isolated strains of edible mushrooms. They dessicant dry the fruitbodies, then powder them. They store the powder until ready for use, then sprinkle it on agar to regenerate the strain. It stops senescence in its tracks.

Try it without soaking in peroxide first. That only weakens the mushroom myc so it doesn't take off as fast. Watch for the first signs of myc growth, and immediately transfer that to a new petri dish. Do this a time or two and you'll have a clean specimen, even from years old dried fruits

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20294
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20295
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 02:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Find a good fruiting strain, then just keep some dessicant dried fruitbodies in a jar. When you want more, just clone a piece of the dry fruit into agar, and you have an instant clone. It will never degenerate further. This should last for many, many years.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20296
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got any more pix rodger ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20382
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 01:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the thing that i wonder is
could one 'rinse' the psilly
out of dried mycellia with water
so it had no detectable magic
then re-dry it, still alive,
to be able to [quasi]legally transfer it ?

(Message edited by admin on May 30, 2004)

logic pill (Logicpill)
Intermediate Member
Username: Logicpill

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if you oven dried it? That would help with getting rid of a little psilocybin, but no idea if it would still grow.. Do you think they would care if it didn't have any psilocybin but was still a psi. cub. species?
All of this is in theory, of course.

perpetually LOST (Lost_onabbey_rd)
Intermediate Member
Username: Lost_onabbey_rd

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 06:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a stoned idea, but could you soak it in alcohol and extract the psil. and then try drying the fruit, not sure the the alcohol will kill it though.
LOST
a fat belly cannot believe that such a thing as hunger exists. It is something you have to go through and understand. No one can eat and digest your food for you in order to give you the necessary strength to live. - Bruce Lee

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20397
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 07:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's no need to use alky,
which would kill the tissue anyway.
ditto for an oven.
water will extract it fine.

(Message edited by admin on May 30, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20398
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 07:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you think they would care if it didn't have any psilocybin but was still a psi. cub. species?

as i understand the law,
there has to be detectable psily present
for it to be illegal.

seven (Mycosev)
Username: Mycosev

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 09:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hips right you could have a thousand denatured cubbies and big brother cant do shit . most laws on psilly are intionally vague and boardering on unconstintional . where im @ they consider mushrooms as ornamental until picked and dried .but ive keeped up on past and pending cases and there is just enogh gray area in the laws to hang yourself thru ignorance of the laws . hippie ? is water going to get even trace amounts of psilly out >?

SeVeN

logic pill (Logicpill)
Intermediate Member
Username: Logicpill

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the most obvious thing to do is to use the mushrooms used in that government study that had 'no psilocybin' in them. :-)
All of this is in theory, of course.

perpetually LOST (Lost_onabbey_rd)
Intermediate Member
Username: Lost_onabbey_rd

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was just thinking alcohol b/c will have the added benifit of serilizing it which should help keep contams down later, and i read somewhere that alcohol slows or stops degeneration, which could possible help when attempting to clone later, as the tissue will not be as degenerated before drying, or would this not matter since the fruit is cracker dried anyways.
LOST
a fat belly cannot believe that such a thing as hunger exists. It is something you have to go through and understand. No one can eat and digest your food for you in order to give you the necessary strength to live. - Bruce Lee

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20428
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is water going to get even trace amounts of psilly out >?

i would think so.
what one would want to do would be to slice the tissue thin, like a potato chip
to expose maximum surface area
dry the tissue first,
then i'd irrigate it for a hour or so in fresh flowing water to flush out the psily just like making tea
then dry it again
then grind it to powder.
if my theory is right
you would then have 'legal' instant mycellia
of a proven substrain.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20429
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

was just thinking alcohol b/c will have the added benifit of serilizing it which should help keep contams down later

i suppose one can add the standard bleach ratio
to the water to keep it nice and sterile.

Roo (Tehuti)
Username: Tehuti

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find a good fruiting strain, then just keep some dessicant dried fruitbodies in a jar. When you want more, just clone a piece of the dry fruit into agar, and you have an instant clone. It will never degenerate further. This should last for many, many years.

I would suspect that you would store this piece of myc like you would a spore print? How would you recomend storing it?

This is VERY interesting stuff. Thanks!!

Does anyone think I could do this with a piece of dried reishi?

(Message edited by tehuti on May 31, 2004)
They're trained to believe, not to know. Belief can be manipulated. Only knowledge is dangerous.

-Frank Herbert, Dune Messiah