Gourmet BRF cakes Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. Gourmet BRF cakes Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

charlie (Xxxx)
Username: Xxxx

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 08:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Hippie3 says:
>btw,
>i'm looking for any info on
>experiments in growing common edibles of pf->style substrates.

I've been a trying Hippie! Your wish is my command!

Lion's Mane:

Upload

Pearl Oysters:
Upload

Upload

Shirotamogitake:
Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 20581
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tehuti (Roo)
Username: Roo

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Hippie3 says:
>btw,
>i'm looking for any info on
>experiments in growing common edibles of pf->style substrates

Are you serious about this? I have been working on a tek or sorts using fuel pellets/vermiculate and BRF. Right now I am trying to work out the ratios. I am using 400 ml wide mouth canning jars.

I have been thinking that if there was enough interest in this sort of thing I might post the info and the tek as I get further along in the process.

One could sell these jars along with a syringe culture if it where possible to do this. These pre made jars could be produced for pennies as well as the cultures.

Oysters might be a good way to start. My only concern is co2 levels in the fruiting chamber.

I might be interested in doing this if the tek was kept "open source" sort of like a GNU type thing. No patents or copyrights.

My only concern is that there may not be enough interest in it to justify selling such a kit. I am sure schools might be interested in it if it where presented without the word PF.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20585
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you serious about this?

well, yeah...

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Roo, you could be like me and post whatever you thought might be fun or interesting and say to heck with anyone who mistakenly thought what you posted wasn't fun or interesting. :-)

Tehuti (Roo)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is interesting. Lots of teks to grow edibles have been used to grow cubes. One could take alot of the info here and grow edibles. There is not alot of info out there as far as edibles go, but there is alot of good info on cubes. At least info that is of interest for the home grower. Karo tek works just as well for edibles as well as cubes. I have done it with oysters recently and it does work with only slight modification.

One could take these cube teks, modify them, and take it to the bank if they are successful. Cubes are no big deal to me as far as being able to grow them. But if I where able to take that knowlege and make some money selling kits or information for growing edibles, so be it. Triping is cool, but so is having extra money.

(Message edited by roo on June 03, 2004)

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 01:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work Charlie
'We are operating on many levels here.' Ken Kesey

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 05:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you can see, the oysters and Shirotamogitake are looking a little strange. :-)

In alt.nature.mushrooms Yachaj, who professes to have successfully grown PF style gourmet cakes, says:

Unfortunately, infeed, not many mushrooms like the vermiculite/ricepowder mixture (PF Substrate). Oyster mushrooms are the only mushrooms that I know of, but those do not fruit when grown in HIPPIE-style or even in a terrarium (oysters hate high levels of carbon dioxide - they want lots of oxygen for large fruitbodies).

The species I mentioned (goldneedles, oysters, shiitake and lion's mane) all will fruit on pint cakes with a mixture of small woodchips and brown rice.
All except the oysters will also fruit in small, terrarium-like
environments.

Dang, and of course I chose oysters and Shirotamogitake to be among my first experiments! Oh well, at least the Lion's Mane looks good.

Tehuti (Roo)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 12:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ratios are you using for the substrait?

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried various substrates. Most where PF br & verm with sawdust added. The Lion's Mane pictured is the only healthy shroom so far. (Apparently the failures where due primarily to less than adequate air exchange.)

My initial post was mostly to let Hippie know I was heeding his directive. :-)

(Message edited by admin on June 10, 2004)

Hatcher (Hatcher)
Username: Hatcher

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't put too much blame on air exchange charlie, based on experience mainly, as well as all the stories of guys going off on a trip, expecting to come back to nothing, and having a mess of shrooms...

Hatcher

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20820
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 11:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oyster mushrooms are the only mushrooms that I know of

shittakes will fruit on pf substrate too
see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/27244.h tml?1084272367
tell yachaj
even he can learn something new eh ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20915
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Tehuti (Roo)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Apparently the failures where due primarily to less than adequate air exchange.)

I agree with you on this. The oysters in the picture are a classic example of too much co2. Some strains need more air exchange than others. I would consider the BRF to be an excellent supplement. I would also suggest using gypsum in the substrate as it increases the photosensitivity of shiitake's and Stamets uses it in his substrate for wood decomposers.

Stamets recommends using the gypsum in a 1 part to 8 parts supplement.

I would also use the next size up large mouth jar, 400 ml. Some wood lovers are picky about wanting a huge amount of substrate. Give them more time in the PC or use the peroxide tec in the archives. Don't use the BRF if you are using the peroxide method. Use powdered milk or simalac powder.

You may consider getting one of these:

Upload

I expected something flimsy, etc. But I am well pleased with mine. Shop around, look for sites that cater to people who grow orchids. I have no probs anymore with airflow etc.

Something else. You may want to consider wrapping each cake in plastic wrap and poking holes in them. If you do this try to get its as tight around the cake as possible, with as few air bubbles as possible..

I have not tried this myself, just been thinking quite a bit since I saw your post.

(Message edited by roo on June 08, 2004)
They're trained to believe, not to know. Belief can be manipulated. Only knowledge is dangerous.

-Frank Herbert, Dune Messiah

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's safe to say Lion's Mane and oysters can be grown PF style. (With the oysters being moved outside to fruit.)
Upload
Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20966
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice.
how does one maintain the cakes outside ?

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only tell you how I proceeded (right or wrong) in this experiment. Cakes where completely PF style up until birth with the exception of adding 1/4 teaspoon gypsum, 1/4 cup wood fuel pellets and the water to hydrate the pellets to the standard PF formula. All cakes where put in baggies and sealed with packaging tape. A couple holes where punched in each baggie. (The oysters formed primorda not at the hole sites so I just made a hole wherever they formed.) The Lion's Mane was fruited in a typical perlite/sterilite container with fanning a few times a day.

The outdoor fruiting area (Hippie says FINALLY!) is a steel fence post structure covered on two sides and the top with landscape fabric. This serves to block the sun while also helping a bit to hold humidity. I have a drip hose run repeatedly around the structure at various levels. I run water through the hose for maybe a minute every hour or two whenever I think of it. A frog has moved in. I took that as a good sign :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 20972
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A frog has moved in. I took that as a good sign

lol
as well you should.

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I timed my watering and the on cycle I'm using is 20-30 seconds rather that 1 minute.
Upload
Upload

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shirotamogitake also works PF style; with the same need as oysters for air exchange.

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 21189
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now that's a real nice shot
pretty shrooms

charlie (Xxxx)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to quit, though I am blushing, 1 more a day later. :-)

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 21233
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)