A little Tip, Want a cheap alcohol lamp? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads A little Tip, Want a cheap alcohol lamp? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla)
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the Thrift Stores for old oil lamps... And set them up to burn alcohol instead :)

fungusmaximus (Fungaloid)
Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey doc, I already tried that. I think you need a special wick to burn the alcohol cause my wick burnt up real quick. Or do you use something else?
And what kind of alcohol do you use? I use 90% iso sometimes 70. I have my lamp in the closet collecting dust, I just use a shot glass anymore.

Malformed (Malformed)
Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to make them out of the small glass carmex containers with the metal lids.

poke a hole put a wick in it and fill with alch.

Jonny Pajamas (Jonnypajamas)
Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 01:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take an empty jar turned upaide down and pour a little alc. and light it up.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 01:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a shot glass full works well
this might be archive material, if we get enough good ideas not covered elsewhere

exile (Exile)
Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to use an upside down pint jar, with a little alcohol poured in the indentation on the bottom of jars.

However, now that I have a shot glass (previously didn't), I use it. Sadly, it's more precise to fill, and I usually end up with rubbing alcohol all over my table.

One thing that I've thought might work is to create a doobie of paper towels, and dip it in rubbing alcohol... then stick your needle in the paper towel wad for several seconds, and then shoot up... I recall hearing that alcohol takes longer to sterilize than a flame.

Either way, I still like to flame sterilize.. more security

Ex

the warlock (Nemesis)
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 04:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had a lot of success using sterno cooking fuel for restaurants. They are self contained, disposable and cheap. U can pick them up at any restaurant supply store or party rental outlet.

fungusmaximus (Fungaloid)
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 05:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warlock,

I know of what you speak, wonderful idea.

Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 05:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a shot glass full works well "

Yea, but after cracking two shot glasses.... and,, purchasing
a pyrex shot glass from ebay, and burning ,yself horribly by
unthinkingly picking it....

Check my options fer sure...

Ya need denatured alcohol, or alcohol ... cotton, like from a cotton rope is good...
a perfume bottle, or something like that...
and GO!

Proctor Gamble (Amagoda)
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 05:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just put the needle in the blue part of the flame of a bic lighter set on low is that a no no ?

Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 06:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

it's actually fine....
the bic creates a bit of sediment in the flame is all

we just get fancy with it and
look toward making things niftier, cleaner
and more complicated...

Keeps us busy

Malformed (Malformed)
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 08:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell, i just use a plain old zippo, sediment doesnt seem to do much harm.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 02:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worry about lighter soot at the inoculation site and mutations in the germinating mycelia.

sxldv8 (Sxldv8)
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just use a butane lighter the dog use to smoke crack with. Hardley any soot.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: