Orange tinted mycelium Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Orange tinted mycelium Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 09, 2002Jack HandyFanaticus20 1 10-09-02  04:06 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Fanaticus (Fanaticus)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I get contamination, it starts off fast and becomes rampant. Shroom mycelia doesn't have a chance if the sryinge is bad.

and then your post lacks info. Did you birth white looking cakes???? Did the "discoloration" turn up after birth or when the cake was invitro????

PROF PF

Jack Handy (Duder)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 01:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just to clarify the situation......the orange color showed up upon the first signs of germination. The orange color exists only where there is mycelium and no where else on the substrate. As such, it is colonizing the cake at the same rate as the mycelium. I have not yet birthed the cakes as they are roughly 40% colonized at this point.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 01:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so the tint is of the mycellia itself, not any external contam, which is what i suspected/expected.
not really sure what to tell you that isn't covered in my last post. sometimes people have reported various pastel hues in their mycellia, mainly pinks and orange, yellow, blue, grey, green, etc.
and we're not really exactly sure why this happens. but it's not your typical contam, as pf correctly pointed out. if it were a real nasty, it would rather quickly kill any mycellia and spread through the jar.
it may be a viral infection, as viruses are carried within the cells, not externally like bacteria or molds.
or it may just be the mycellia itself reacting to some unknown cause, such as stress, heat, water, light, who knows.
bottom line, don't print or clone it, just to be safe.
but it will proly go on to fruit ok,
and it doesn't seem to be contagious.

J B (Novacane)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait , Wait ,Wait....this just happened to me. I just got threw with some Hw's, like last week. I remember the same thing you guys are talking about and it was an orangeish or tanish with a hint of orange tint where the cakes started to germinate and I remembered being a little alarmed and I did watch it closely but nothing came of it. It all eventually went away with some patience and time and then the Hw's turned a brilliant white when they got closer to being 100% colonized. I got real nice flushes out of them. I even got one funguy that weighed 4gm dry. that sucker was over 10in tall.

Keep in mind that they were white but they did have a tint to them and that it went away.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, exactly what i've been saying, this ain't your typical contam, whatever it is.

Sandman (Sandman)
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I threw them out, now I kickin myselfy very hard :(

Jack Handy (Duder)
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. Just wanted to give everyone an update on this strange orange phenomenon. The cakes are now roughly 90% colonized and there is no sign of the orange tint remaining. Just normal looking fluffy white mycelium. Everything appears to be progressing normally.

I will post another update after the first flush.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very cool
this really would make good archive material for the contam section

Jack Handy (Duder)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the update...... My first flush of the Hawaiians appeared perfectly normal. I dunked them and the second flush is now beginning to pin. No signs of the orange tinted mycellium. It appears that this is not a problem.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 04:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool, that's great news.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: