Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Dunking. dunk tek using a vacuum Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

oreganojoe (Oreganojoe)
Username: Oreganojoe

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone done a dunk tek using a vacuum canister?
We use one for marinating meats. It only takes 15 minutes to penetrate the tissue under a vacuum, therefore I thought it might be good for dunking, to get the moisture deep into the cakes.
If it hasn't been done already I have some fully colonized cakes needing a good submersion before birthing, and will try it.
peace all,
Joe

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 22605
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's been done
and it works well.

Namaste

oreganojoe (Oreganojoe)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, any suggestion on the duration of the vacuum dunk hip?
JoeUpload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22669
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i recall
the dude said he did it for 25 minutes with great results.
but we have only the one case report to go on,
any feedback you have after
would be appreciated.

(Message edited by admin on July 07, 2004)

Namaste

oreganojoe (Oreganojoe)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll do 6 cakes as a test group at 25 min and keep 6 as a control group and dunk them 24 hours. Would you recommend a 1/200 bleach dunk?
peace

Can I add any clipart as an avatar?

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has to be a jpeg - forget the exact measurments. 420x360 or something like that.

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/44398.h tml?1074298211
Will I be remembered
As quickly as forgotten

Underground_Shaman (Shaman)
Username: Shaman

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but we have only the one case report to go on,
any feedback you have after
would be appreciated.

Make that two. I've been doing dunks under vacuum since I saw that first thread. Basically, I vacuum dunk for one hour under refrigeration. My results are similar to his. Most of the water weight gain happens in the first hour or so. You can use plain water or 1:200 bleach with good results. Just don't over-do it.

AND

Shaman

...once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Smerd (Smerd)
Username: Smerd

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So do you vacu-dunkers use the widemouth attachment or a specialized canisters?
Have fun, take care.

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So do you vacu-dunkers use the widemouth attachment or a specialized canisters?

both.

with only a few PF cakes, the widemouth attachment is fine.

with many cakes, or a casing the larger specialized canisters/trays mean less time/work.

Shaman

p.s. imho, the vacuum sealer is one of the most worthwhile expenditures one can make in this hobby. it can be used for a number of applications, and they are relatively cheap and durable.
...once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22703
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to dunking

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22704
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/122276. html?1061510164

Namaste

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the dude said he did it for 25 minutes with great results.

My one hour figure is based on the fact that it usually takes me that long to clean up my mess before I get back to them. I've not really done much shorter, but longer than one hour really isn't necessary.

Perhaps someone trying this might compare "water weight gain" between 1/2 and 1 hours just for kicks.

Shaman

Smerd (Smerd)

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ask because I tried it w/the widemouth attachment hooked to a regular 1/2-pint jar and the cake didn't sink. I also didn't see bubbles of air coming from the cake. Shouldn't those things happen?
Have fun, take care.

oreganojoe (Oreganojoe)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I also didn't see bubbles of air coming from the cake.

That would indicate that there wasn't a vacuum.
I used RO/DI H2O (reverse Osmosis Water) which allows for better capillary action resulting from reduced ion bonds. It's wetter water.
I just turned the cakes at 1/2 hour into the hour, but it is pretty clear that even at 1/2 hour they are clearly more saturated, since there is less water volumn outside the cakes than when first vacuumed.

I hope these aliens don't get homesick under this lower atmosphere and leave this planet.....lol

(Message edited by oreganojoe on July 08, 2004)

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I ask because I tried it w/the widemouth attachment hooked to a regular 1/2-pint jar and the cake didn't sink. I also didn't see bubbles of air coming from the cake. Shouldn't those things happen?

you did use the attachment on a wide-mouth jar, right? (above, it could be interpreted as "regular" 8oz jar: tall and skinny)...just making sure.

make sure that both the jar rim and the lid seal are dry. wet surfaces make it harder for the sealer to do it's job. you can use a plastic bottle cap to submerge the cake below the surface of the water (but this is not necessary). if you do this make sure the water does not come all the way to the top of the jar.

My cakes don't sink when the vacuum is pulled, but they do look like they expand some.

You should see bubbles coming out of the cake as the vacuum is pulled. This is a sign that water is being sucked into the cake.

Shaman

Blanc Debris (Blanc_debris)
Username: Blanc_debris

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the past three months I have had very good success using either the tall canister or marinade containers with the FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer.

I use 1:250 bleach water for a duration of approximately thirty minutes and make an effort to completely submerge either the cake or flat by adding a weight such as a small plate or saucer so that I can actually see the bubbles escaping once the vacuum is applied.

I am currently on the fourth flush of a cased popcorn flat using this technique, a much higher success rate than before.

If it will help, I found a site that seems to have the lowest prices on FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers and canisters:

https://www.highlandgear.com/catalog/default.php?c Path=22&osCsid=a8613e748d2f78bf1bd6a74906efc214

Smerd (Smerd)

Post Number: 967
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, I have one of those (FoodSavers). I'll try again. Welcome to Myco, Blanc. An interesting handle, btw, considering the avatar.

(Message edited by Smerd on July 08, 2004)
Have fun, take care.

Blanc Debris (Blanc_debris)
Username: Blanc_debris

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose I should not have used the word 'flush' in my first post as it implies something a little more robust than what I got on the fourth time around. There was a big drop-off on the third but I wanted to see how far I could go with it.

Sorry if it sounded unrealistic.

Visions (Visions)
Username: Visions

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if cell damage is done by forcing the water through the cell walls... To reduce this and make it easier for the water to enter the cells I would consider electrolites...

As for RO water personally I wouldn't drink it because it strips everything from the water by pulling it through a mesh so small that it basically leaves the water dead as in no energy left...YOu can test it before and after with a meter... Water isn't just H20,,, it's alive and freely gives and receives excess energy... That electrical energy is transfered to cells...

Here's something to see if you notice... How many times have you layed around the house all day and you were tired?... then you took a shower and felt energized?... The water moving through the pipes carries energy... then it hit you and gives you some of that energy through your skin...

All in all I think if it works it good...

Visions
Look around---The answers are right infront of you---You only have to notice...

Steiny (Demonichunter13)
Intermediate Member
Username: Demonichunter13

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea I got a vacume sealer with special vacume jars I will try it after I get my 1st flush on one and reg on the other and post results. I was thinking bout this too today and I came on andread it how ironic.
" Put the lime in the coconut and mix it all up, put the lime in the coconut call the doctor wake him up say doctor is there nothing i can take I said doctor to relieve this belly ace" Harry Nillson

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22750
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blanc_debris = 'white trash'
en francais

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 22751
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really doubt the mild vacume created is actually penetrating cell walls or doing any damage.

Namaste

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i really doubt the mild vacume created is actually penetrating cell walls or doing any damage.

i concur. you would expect massive bluing if this were the case, which doesn't happen.

there's lots of air in a PF cake. The vacuum just increases the rate of absorption of water (or marinade, if that's your thing...lol, i've never used my vacuum sealer for a legit purpose)

Shaman

oreganojoe (Oreganojoe)

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for RO water personally I wouldn't drink it

I don't plan on drinking RO/DI water, unless of course it spawns a new breed of cubbie....lol
Joe