Use off UV light to make things sterile Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. Light Use off UV light to make things sterile Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

porsches (Porsches)
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there,

I was wondering if any one has some experience with make things sterile with the use off UV light.
I heard today that a factory for mushrooms (pleurotes)was using this on straw.
I' am busy for more than a year to grow cubbies but was only successful with a grow kit.
An experiment that I had started with liquid and honey +-7 months ago was completely forgotten and today I found that mycelium was growing on the top
so I opened the bottle today do You think that there is still hope to grow something out of it?

All reply's are natural much appreciated.

BTW English is not my mother language

Best regards
928 and schroom fan

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UV would have no penetration in straw. It is typically used in glove boxes and flow hoods to degrade/kill contams. It may also be used in powered filter system to sanitize moving air.

There is strong evidence that UV light is harmful to shrooms.

joe mama (Zephyr)
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wo kommst du aus?

porsches (Porsches)
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big thanks Nan.

Try to grow from Belgium.
I buy the grow kit in the Netherlands.

All the best

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 10:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another use for a UV Sterilizer:

You could use a UV Sterilizer made for an Aquarium to sterilize huge amounts of liquid culture....
You would need:
1)3or5gal Carboys ($10-$15)Wine&Beer Brewing Supplies

2)A Brew Cap(It's a cap that fits onto a Carboy with 2 nipples on it...one large and one small nipple)($3)Beer Brewing Supplies

3)Aquarium or Pond UV Sterilizer ($120)

4)Aquarium water pump($20..rated for aprox flow as the UV Sterilizer...slower is better)

5)Aquarium Air Pump,Air Stone..use a large one so it is heavy and will stay on the bottom,Air line tubing($25-$30)

6)Air lock ($1)Made for brewing beer...Allows gasses to excape from your Carboy or any container without any gasses or contamination entering

7)Inline Air Filter down to .2Microns ( Brewtek.com )($4)

8)Test strips(tests for sugar...I am out of them and I forget the exact name)Diabetic Supplies

You would drill 2 more holes in the rubber brewCap the size of the water pump hose

It's very simple:
You will have 2 nipples and 2 holes in the BrewCap...
1)Large Nipple... you attatch the Airlock
2)Small Nipple... you insert Air line tubing long enough to reach the bottom of the Carboy then add the Air Stone to it
3)The 2 holes you drilled are for the Water inlet and exit

Fill with Mineral water and (Visions Super Karo Tek...Cup of Karo and 1/4cup Nutritional Yeast)

This is how it works:

First you turn on the Air Pump that pushes air through the Inline Air filter to the Air Stone that is sitting on the bottom of the carboy...That air exits through the Air lock...Do this first so that any contams in the Air line will be forced into the liquid...Leave it on...

Then turn on the water pump that draws in the liquid from the bottom of the Carboy then forces that liquid through the UV Sterilizer and back into the top of the Carboy...

This needs to run at least 1/2 hour to make sure every living organism is distroyed or rendered harmless...

Inject with spores

You could use this as regular liquid culture

OR

If you wanted you could harvest the Mycelium and dry it...Around 20days draw out some liquid with sterile needle and test for sugars...You want 0 sugars...When you get a test reading of 0 sugars wait at least another 5 days...longer would be better...You will be surprised on how potent it is...If you don't believe me make a regular Qt of Nutritional Yeast & Karo and let it grow for 25days then harvest and dry it...You will collect aprox the same weight as the Nutritional Yeast

This was my first experiment about 1 1/2 yrs ago...I discovered Nutritional Yeast when I noticed that I didn't get alot of growth from just Dextrose...so one day I dumped in some Nutritional Yeast...and Wham!...Grew like Mad!....Then for some reason I forgot about it for a while....

Psilocin420 (Psilocin420)
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 10:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visions -

Lemme get this straight, you're drying the actual mycelium? So you're saying in liquid culture like that, it will produce psilocybin/psilocin?

Interesting.... I'd like to know more.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 05:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 04:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, i'm dumb, i need pics to help me visualize this kinda stuff.
but it sounds interesting, visions.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 04:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

So you're saying in liquid culture like that, it will produce psilocybin/psilocin?

some argument on that issue.
according to an FBI document that PF has re-printed on his site, there's virtually no detectable 'magic' in mycellia until around the time pins begin to form, which is problematic in a liquid culture. you might get some 'magic' production eventually as the culture aged but it's still going to be less efficient than just growing shrooms.

porsches (Porsches)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 03:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good to me.

Its the same working procedure as for a aquarium.

I was wondering could we use a UV light the one from solar bank used at home to make a clean working area?

Thanks again

Remember we can all be better than we really are!

928 fan

mf (Fishbone)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 03:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it could help, but you might as well not use it unless it's in a flow hood.

By the way watch out for cancer with those things

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: