Dextrose water with Pan. Cyanescens p... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Dextrose water with Pan. Cyanescens progress Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

CurryShroomer (Curryshroomer)
Intermediate Member
Username: Curryshroomer

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This jar was inoculated 07-24-2004 with an approx 2 square centimeter wedge shaped piece of Pan. Cyanescens mycelium growing on agar. I swirl it every 2 or 3 days to make the mycelium break up. I want to keep it "loose" so it's more easy to draw a syringe from when it's ready. I am going to buy a big needle soon. With a big mm or gauge value. What gauge is the biggest that's advisable? I would like to be able to suck up mycelium real easy and conveniently. Any tips on what needles are good for this job?

inoculated 07-24-2004. How long shall I wait before I use it to draw a syringe from? It's nine days since inoculation now:

Upload

Upload

I was thinking of buying a 50 or 100 ml syringe. With this I can shoot up a bigger amount of liquid culture then with for example a 10 ml syringe. To give the jars a better chance of quick colonization. What can be recommended for gauge and ml's. I like to make lot's of inoculant from this jar.

How long shall I keep it in the incubator at 84 Fahrenheit/29.5 Celsius? When is it advisable (and on the safe side) to put the dextrose jar in the fridge?

CurryShroomer

perpetually LOST (Lost_onabbey_rd)
Username: Lost_onabbey_rd

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could probibly get one of those meat marinade injectors, my dad has one and i remember it as being glass, probibly between 20 and 30cc and a big thick ass neddle. just a thought ... good luck with your Pans.
LOST
A fool thinks he knows everything, a Wise man admits the knows nothing.

Towelie (Tepin)
Username: Tepin

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find what works good is one of them big Turkey basters with the needle on the end. Just boil it and use clean hands and it's contam free.

(Message edited by tepin on August 02, 2004)
"Hey, Guys, I Don't know whats going on..."

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or put some small broken pieces of glass in the jar and shake well,
then the gauge value is not a problem

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

or put some small broken pieces of glass in the jar and shake well,
then the gauge value is not a problem

I tried that 2 times, but still I wasn't able to draw a syringe :-(. Don't know why. Maybe because the mycelium was very though!

Anyways... a marinade injector or turkey blaster sound very usefull. I have read something about this before. Only thing is the availability of turkey blasters were I live (Europe).

Maybe it is even easier to get a big needle at some medical supplies store. Stainless steel needles or something. The only one shop I found delivers to hospitals. They sell 12 needles for 65 dollar! They have a diameter of 2 mm and are 150mm long. Very expensive though!

Thanks all, I am gonna do a google search in my native language to see what comes up when I use the words marinade injector or something.

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work.

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks sweetness. Hard work because all I have had to begin with so far were contaminated prints and weak spores! Bad time to find out when you are a starting grower

Inoculated on 24-07 when will this jar be at her optimum to produce good syringes from?

Upload

After how much time shall I put this jar in the fridge to store or avoid spread of eventual bacteria?

Is a pipet a save way to inoculate instead of a syringe when inoculating with Pan. Cyanescens mycelium water? If so... do I shake the jar after inoculation?

Finaly a last question about this turkey blaster: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005NUVV/104-5696212-1416712?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=289763&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know this type of TB (=Turkey Blaster)?

I don't want to find out it's useless when I unwrap it!

CurryShroomer

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 24130
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks pretty good,
biggest concern with large needles is
leaking, they often dribble out.
the myc looks ready-to-use,
i'd store in refridgeration immediately after drawing out syringes

Namaste

Advanced Member

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

biggest concern with large needles is
leaking, they often dribble out

Hmmm again learn something here :-). So that will most likeley happen with a turkey baster with openings on all sides of the needle I suppose...

So I will try to suck the mycelium into a "normal" type of syringe. It's quite thin myc anyways.
Thanks

Advanced Member

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And another question... ahhh it's so good to be able to ask questions and learn quick!

Do I need to shake the rye jars after I inject it with P. Cyanescens dextrose water?

Advanced Member

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me do I have to shake jars after inoculating with mycelium water? Or would it be better to inject it on 4 spots (like PF tek)?

Thanks

Tobynutz (Tobynutz)
Username: Tobynutz

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how many times have i told you not to dispose of semen in your pf jars! just kidding! great job, looking nice and salty:-)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah.. come on! I just had to ;)

Paw Paw.... (Alounacara)
Advanced Member
Username: Alounacara

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silicone works wonders on a big leaky syringe!
Still way cooler than Sucky.....

Ramen Cowboy (Synth)
Username: Synth

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

edit;
missed something.

(Message edited by synth on August 20, 2004)

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 344
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do I need to shake the rye jars after I inject it with P. Cyanescens dextrose water?"
-assuming you have prepared the rye grains in jars well,
yes,
personally i do shake grains after innoc. with tissue,
shake them after innoc. and do not touch them until full colonization,
800ml.jars filled with 500ml. grains full colonization in 7 days with shaking after innoc.,

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 09:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Fucgubarn!

I did shake it. after inoc. I don't know why, but I do get better and denser myc. when I do NOT shake the jar.

It's so strange; all jars inoculated with liquid show weak and very thin, slow spreading myc. I am almost sure it isn't contamed (don't aks how I could possibly know, lol). Most jars I have opened so far smelled fine. More than fine! popcorn really smells nice. Even after a month of keeping. So it must be something else. I am doing everything in a Rubbermaid glovebox.

Thanks for pointing out that with tissue inoc it's better not to shake jars :-)! I have just put some wedges in rye jars and was asking myself this question...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 24792
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

liquid culture's a funny thing,
generally it goes like wildfire
but on occasion
the liquid-grown mycellia just does not
seem to adapt well to the change from
liquid to solid media,
another reason why agar is prefered by pros.

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 24793
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to non-cubies

Namaste

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much Hippie. Knowing this saves me the trouble of trying and trying. Luckily I have several plates of Pan. Cyan. incubating.

I will do the liquid culture thing on another strain or print!

Thanks again

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: