Blower wiring question Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Blower wiring question Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

HF (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need help from an electrical expert.

The blower needs to plug into a wall. There are 5 wires coming from it. They are as follows:

Red
Orange
Blue
Black
White

The red and orange came already connected. Can anyone offer any advice on how to wire this for a standard electrical socket.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Ramen Cowboy (Synth)
Username: Synth

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those five wires are coming from the blower, or from the wall? what kind of wires do you have coming from the wall? only three, right?
What do you mean by the red and orange already
came connected? what are they connected to?
Assuming its AC, i would think that it needs only
three connections... Any more details?

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All 5 of these wires are coming from the blower. Im looking to run it from a standard electrical outlet.

The red and orange came twisted together from the package.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure it's a 115 volt motor first of all?
If so, get a heavy duty power cord and connect the white from the power cord to the white from your motor. That's the neutral. Connect the green from your cord to the ground screw in the motor housing. It should be a green screw. Connect the black wire from your power cord to the black wire from the motor. Tape or otherwise insulate the unused wires. They are for different speeds. Normally, the unused wires shouldn't be connected together. However, it would help if you'd take a picture of the data plate and post it. I can tell you for sure then.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the blower:
Grainger

Pics of the wires coming out of the blower.

Upload

Pics of the wires. Notice the green wire in the background is already connected. You can also see how the red and orange came twisted together out of the package.

Upload

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, It's a dual voltage 115/230 volt motor. The link still doesn't give me the info. There will be a wiring diagram somewhere on either the motor or the cover to the electrical enclosure. It will be necessary to see that to determine the configuration. There will be a different combination of wires to be tied together depending on if you are using 115 or 230 volts. The wires that were twisted together at the factory were most likely done when the motor was tested. The green wire you see is what is known as a 'bonding jumper'. You still need to connect the green wire from your cord to the green screw in the wiring enclosure on the motor.

Find and photograph the small data plate on the motor, or where the wiring diagram is on the cover or possibly in the literature that came in the box. Somewhere there will be a diagram to show the connections that must be made. Hurry though, we're heading back up to the mountains in a couple of hours to go backpacking again. Won't be back until Thursday afternoon.

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...I found what is needed. It was on the underside of the already installed blower, so it was kind of hard to snap a pic of. Plus the cam isnt to good.

Upload

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man. That's what I needed to see, but can't make out a thing on that pic. Look at it and see which wires need to be twisted together to configure it for 115 volts. Be sure to insulate any unused wires. If you get in a bind, try to find a better camera and get a clear pic.

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It reads:

115 V

BRN --------- 5 mF / 370 VAC
BRN

WHT ------------------ Line

BLK-----------Line
BLU

ORG
RED

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...good.
Tie the orange and red together, then tape up.

Tie the blue and black together and connect them to the black wire of your power cord.

White goes to the white on your power cord.

Green on your power cord goes to the chassis ground connection. It should be a green screw in the electrical enclosure.

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thx alot.
What BRN on there for?

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The browns are connected to the starting capacitor. It's internal and you shouldn't have to mess with it. The brown wires aren't loose are they?

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also thx for telling me where the plate was. There was nothing about wiring in the manual, and I didnt see anything on the blower, because it was hidden on the underside.

HF (Highflyer)

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, The brown wires arent loose.

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok..ur good to go then.

ironresp (Ironresp)
Intermediate Member
Username: Ironresp

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good think rodger was knowledgable, i used to do demolition with a crew and a buddy of mine snipped a live wire. blew a hole right through the head of the snips and he flew off the ladder. the snips were insolated but the firework that we saw was only cool cause no one got hurt. electricity is one thing that i never guess with, i can always rerock a room or lay down a new tile(cause they dont bite me with electricity)

kudos rodger

resp
I had a friend once he took some acid
Now he thinks he's a fire engine
It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
-tool-

Phatty Bong (Phattyb)
Username: Phattyb

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm..I havn't seen any large motors with an internal Cap,but I suppose it's possible.. Usually they are a little silver,oval-ish can,with two terminals on top(probably with a resistor between them,ya see anything like that on your blower?
Alot of times you'll see one next to (or strapped onto the side of) the blower motor in your furnace.If it isn't internal,and you need one you should be able to find one at the local hardware store,if not any HVAC place will have some,and might just give you one for free,if you ask nicely. :-) If you can't find one,I've got a couple out in my boxes of electronic stuff.(one of my other hobbies.) Ohh,They are used alot in ballasts for lights too (HPS,MH,etc).

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 24262
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

Troutlips (Troutlips)
Username: Troutlips

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ona direct drive blower unit, the different coured wires are there so you can change the fan speed if necessary.
Roger's wiring is correct.
Some times air flow needs to be adjusted in a HVAC system for the unit to run to factory specs.This is usually found in systems with poorly designed duct systems. In short it ought to work.