Two straw questions Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Two straw questions Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 03:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay - i was searching and couldnt find this stuff.

Im gonna spawn one of those mini bales of straw from walmart. An appropriate amount of spawn would be? Ill prolly be using a quart of bird seed, all thats available to me right now. so is this overkill? should i do two of these bales, fast colonization is my priority right now, since iver recently visited contam heaven.

And the other question, i couldnt find the bleach pasteurization water bleach ratio?

thanks

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Kill,,,One of those bales weighs over 3lbs if I remember right...You might not believe it but that is alot...it is really packed in...

If you don't have any jars that will be ready in 10-14day...And you have some money to spare($50)...Do yourself a huge favor and build a pressure box...You could do grain to grain transfers and have 12 more jars 100% in 7-10days from that one jar...Even more jars...but I like to use at least a tbs to transfer with...gets them done quickly....

Here are some pics...The pressure box shown has different filters and it works great...It has Filtrete Furnace filters on each end....But I am going to switch to this filter I found...Shop-Vac...It's a lot more efficient 99.97% down to .3microns and it is cheap for a Hepa...$20 at Walmart...I use a 250CFM 6" duct fan from Home Depot($20)...It almost fits perfectly ...you will have to trim a little of the rubber gasket on one end so it will slide on...very easy...The holes are 3 1/2" round...just big enough to put a Qt through...

Clean it and turn it on for a while before you use it...I use Hand Sanitizer from a Restaurant Supply to Sanitize my hands...no gloves...easy to use...If you need some more tips read my last posts...

This simple box has changed my life dramatically!

Hepa Shop-Vac Filter
Hepa Shop Vac Filter

Pressure Box
Pressure Box
(archive material - this post to pressure boxes)

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 11:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know I really never answered your questions...LOL

One bale is enough...

Use 160% hot water to pasteurize...add 1 heaping tbs Hydrated lime if you have it...Hoffmans is a good name brand....

Get a gargabe can...just big enough to hold that bale after you cut the metal straps...It's going to expand greatly...Line it with a garbage bag...Put the bale in...Bring the temp of the water to 170-180 because it will cool rapidly and cover the bale with it...Squeeze out the air in the bag and tie in a knot...Let sit for 1-1 1/2 hours...you don't have to be perfect...Take it to your bath tub and pull it out of the can and poke a hole in the bag to let drain...Let cool....Clean your jar with alcohol...Untie the bag...take off lid on jar and dump into the bag...tie it back closed...mix the living hell out of it...Dump into some Aluminum Turkey pans or something like it...the deeper the better 8" or more if you can...Pack it down...Also I poke small holes in the bottom of my pans to help let it breath and so that water won't sit on the bottom....Then case it...Verm is good enough...Soak the Verm in a little bleach water....Drain it well then case...Manure is better but you have to pasturize it too...same way...If by chance you have a Franks Nursury where you live you can get the Hoffmans Hydrated Lime($6 I think) and Dehydrated Manure there($4 25lb bag)

You won't have to cover it...the more air the better...More Air=Less Contams

You won't have to Mist it until you see the mycelium colonizing the casing because straw holds alot of water...

Since you will have holes on the bottom...When it gets really close to pinning...you could even dunk it and let it drain...but make sure it's very close...Dunking isn't needed but if you think it is dry you could do it...

jack black (Bold_Cucumber)
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 04:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

atleast 3 really good ideas there, I have to say, having had my first good dealing with straw. One being a garbage can at a time, b/c I can only imagine the yeilds from such endeavor. Two not being too obsessed with perfection. And three air exchange being very important.

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you weigh your straw trays right after you make them then weigh them when they are close to pinning you will know how much they have dried.

Here is a little tid bit...take 1 lb of straw...pasturize it....weigh it....should weigh around 6 lbs

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: