Easy outdoor grow with pics. Give it ... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Outdoor Cubie Cultivation Easy outdoor grow with pics. Give it a try! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Basidiocarp (Carp)
Username: Carp

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK- I have decided to write this up to encourage others to try an outdoor grow if you have not done so yet. This was my first outdoor grow so I kept it as simple as possible. I have been happy with the results but YMMV.

First I picked a spot in the yard that was shady. I used 2Q of colonized birdseed (PFC- I think), 1 bag of store bought composted manure (Home depot), homemade yard compost and some lime. I did not pasteurize anything.

I cleared a spot.

I laid down a layer (0.5 in) of manure.

I crumbled up the 2 jars of grain.

Another layer of manure.

I shoveled some homemade yard compost out of the bin that you can see in the first picture. The compost bin is just a large piece of chicken wire in a circle.

I cased the bed with the yard compost and sprinkled with lime (my compost runs pretty acidic as it is mostly leaves.) Verm, coir or peat would probably work as well.

I watered on day 1 and day 7. I was very lucky because we have had rain pretty much every day for the past 2 weeks. (2 hurricanes helps!) Total time invested outdoors about 45 min including harvest.

I went out today and found this:

I harvested and got about 800 wet grams from this first flush (largest was 15.2 grams). There appears to be lots of mycelial activity, so I expect another flush soon. If you haven't grown outdoors- give it a try. I hope this inspires you.

-carp

Hidra (Hidra303)
Username: Hidra303

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWESOME!!

very nice work!!!
thank you for sharing :-)

archive material

(Message edited by admin on August 17, 2004)

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

OK, carp -

You've inspired me.
I barely have time to take a day to catch up w/
mycotopia, but I DO have 10+ quarts of colonized
corn, a bag of good 'ol Black Kow, and some peat,
not to mention some yardage and lime.. a few Q's..
I have Hoffmans's hydrated lime... what did you use?

How much sun does that spot get?
Think I should put mine where it'll be in the shade
most of the time,? How many hours of sun, appox,
does that spot get?

I, too, suffer / benefit from East Coast hurricanes and a lot of rain / humidity...
you watered on day 1 and 7.. what day did you see
this upcrop?

thanks for the inspiration,

:-)

soliver

Basidiocarp (Carp)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soliver, I will try to answer your questions. I am not an expert at outdoor beds, this is just my experience. I attribute most of my success to weather. There are Chlorophytum mushrooms coming up everywhere in my 'hood, so the weather has been ideal for mushrooms. This strain is from a multispore innoc, so I got lucky there too. I am going to clone a basidiocarp from this bed and keep it as my outside strain.

I have Hoffmans's hydrated lime... what did you use?

Not sure really. I bought it in bulk from my local garden supply place. I asked and they told me it was low magnesium. They did make me buy 5 lbs of it because that is the minimum they sell. I have been using it for 2 years now. I have heard others mention your brand before. As always- lower magnesium is better. I add it because my leaf/grass compost is pretty acidic.

How much sun does that spot get? Think I should put mine where it'll be in the shade most of the time,? How many hours of sun, appox, does that spot get?

That bed gets no direct sun due to the overhanging vines. The area in general gets little sun. You can see the sun in picture 1- that is as much as that area will get and only for an hour or so.

what day did you see this upcrop?

According to my notes, I did the bed on 7/31/2004. I watered it when I put it in and then on the following weekend. I noticed the shrooms today, but yesterday probably would have been the ideal time to harvest. 14-16 days maybe? This will vary depending on environmental conditions, obviously.

thanks for the inspiration

Your welcome. I will post pictures here of any more flushes, if they happen.

-carp

Tumbz (Tumbz)
Intermediate Member
Username: Tumbz

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice nice.

==============
" Fee Fii Foo Fum "
==============

Shroomman21 (Shroomman21)
Intermediate Member
Username: Shroomman21

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fuck yeah ,im gonna do this shit at my grand moms hahah in the back

wsmith (Wrrexm)
Username: Wrrexm

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 03:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like my next project, Very inspiring. Good job, Congrats.
U CaN't MaKe A MaN BoRn RoUnD,DiE SqUaRe....

Paw Paw.... (Alounacara)
Username: Alounacara

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 04:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice crop from just 2 qt jars...your pic shows 3?
Still way cooler than Sucky.....

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow thats nice. next year when it's
warmer i will have to try that method,
maybe with corn instead.

peace,
pcsillypj
"I hear colors and see sounds"

Basidiocarp (Carp)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paw Paw-

"Jar 3" was not fully colonized (contam?)- and was on its way to the compost bin you see. I will be watching the compost bin too and will report.

-carp

MushieDoobyDoo (Desideratum)
Advanced Member
Username: Desideratum

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow!!!!!! I dug an outdoor spot today myself. One of my straw bins had a little green spot :-(. I hope my results come out like yours. Ill be watchin.

Paw Paw.... (Alounacara)
Username: Alounacara

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda saw a dark spot in that jar...nice results guy!
Still way cooler than Sucky.....

Python (Python)
Username: Python

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 08:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The substance provides continuous high, i'll give you one free, for every five you buy......

porsches (Porsches)
Intermediate Member
Username: Porsches

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job
P)
Hm will let You known when I know

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Username: Marvinm92

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job, nice thread, nice pics, nice info...

2 thumbs up!

(Message edited by marvinm92 on August 17, 2004)
HAPPY EASTER! :-)

sleepwalker (Sleepwalker)
Username: Sleepwalker

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good job.keep up the good work.
"FORGET NOTHING AND LET NOTHING BE FORGOTTEN"

Xochi (Xoch)
Username: Xoch

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow very nice!

*Note to self: Pick up some horse shit today.*

X

mindless vesscular (Mindless)
Intermediate Member
Username: Mindless

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what temp was it outside during those weeks?

Strangeland (Waylitjim)
Intermediate Member
Username: Waylitjim

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 01:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What has the humidity been in also?
Are you in the S. East,

LOOKIN GOOD'

Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 24537
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 01:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

very nice work!!!
thank you for sharing

archive material

i edited your post slightly
you had an S on archive
which would throw off the search engine

great thread, btw

Namaste

ironresp (Ironresp)
Username: Ironresp

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice , not bad for one weeks time at all
i have no fencing around my lawn so by the time my lil fellas said hello the neighborhood kids would be doing lord of the dance all over them.

kids love lawns...remember KING OF THE HILL...well...i dont think my lil shroomies would appreciate kids rolling all over them
lol
id have to go to a woodland area near me and find a discrete location

I had a friend once he took some acid
Now he thinks he's a fire engine
It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
-tool-