Question for hydroponic substrates. Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Marijuana Question for hydroponic substrates. Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

The Doctor (Drleary057)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay well I'm veering off of my soil based garden and am delving into the wonderfull world of hydroponics. My question is... Which rooting medium is the best for a home-made ebb and flow system? I heard good and bad about most, but am unsure of the best and easiest. I like coir, (based solely on me being able to use it in my caseings as well) but have more verm than I could shake a midget at. So all you greentumbers out there show me some advice and I will gladly recipricate with overt sexual favors preformed by my pet rabid wombat. Doc

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last grow was with coir and it worked wonders. I was thinking of switching to rockwool for a cleaner grow (I'm revamping my ebb & flow to a more compact setup). Haven't heard the pros and cons of the two but it would seem that if the roots were able to roam freely that is all that would matter.

The Doctor (Drleary057)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, Thanks eyebooger you one hell of a guy, if you are a guy, There I go throwing my gender-based stereotypes around again. Damn me and this old fashioned mentality, but you got to understand that when I was growing up a woman's place was in bed with me, but I was a lonly kid after all and just looking for a bit of compassion. Now look at me all grown up and still looking for approval, Oh well, time to tend the garden. Doc

joe mama (Zephyr)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockwool is a good median for hydro.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockwool is good, but has its' drawbacks too, like not being available at every garden store,
not being re-useable, needs ph adjustment at first before use, etc.
a real simple mix that ties in good with shroom grows is 50/50 perlite/vermiculite.
it's light, airy, drains well, holds alot of water and is widely available.
never tried coir, though

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, what grade verm? i have some fine verm.. would that be spiffy to use?
lol, spliffy even

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use medium but i'm sure fine would work ok too

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 07:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you using for pots Doc? If you're using net pots then the fine verm might filter right on through and clog your pump and putting a screen in there would slow root growth. I know they have some peat pots out there that supposedly last for a year+, you just put them in your net pot and fill with your favorite medium. Otherwise, if you've got coir, I'll just say it did wonders for me

BTW, thanx for the reply above, I am a guy, but not a mean guy, more of a funny guy, or a wise guy...arguably, I'll stop now

Malformed (Malformed)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 09:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would say rockwool and geolite type stuff depending on the system.
hippies 50/50 mix would probably work just as well but sounds realy messy :)

you can get huge bags of verm and perlite , not to mention rockwool slabs, coir, lights, eb and flow systems, fertilizers, geolite and much more at:
AltGarden

The Doctor (Drleary057)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm using the wally world do it yerself kit. stole a plan off of ebay and made it myself. The pots are actually 5 inch diameter houseplant pots with a hole from underneath where the water rises into. Curious as to the fact the hole is 1/2 in diameter, and what is this geo-lite stuff I'm seeing? I'm at a loss as to whether or not the substrate would fall through. Doc

steveoi812 (Ustabcidhead)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of that stuff is pretty big from what I've seen at local hydroponic shops. I think you should be fine with that 1/2 inch hole without any falling through.

Acheron (Acheron)
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had a problem with grow rocks(geo-lite, hydroton, etc) , they're easy to clean up, very reusable, and they look cool when all the roots grow around them. I used the plan at www.hydroponicsonline.com with the upside down 2 liter bottles, although i didn't use cups, just poked holes in the bottom part which you cut off, and then put it down in the upside down bottle. Works great.

Malformed (Malformed)
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geolite is the same thing that they put in hydropods.

ceramic balls. whoot!

Acheron (Acheron)
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I'm on the topic of hydroponics, I thought I'd share this.

http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/nutrient_deficiencies.asp

This is a very info to know in case you have to troubleshoot your fertilizer. And one last thing, seedlings are very sensitive to over-fertilization, better too little than too much with them. Wait until they grow to about 8 inches to feed 'em heavily

The Doctor (Drleary057)
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 01:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow shit, I never knew this many people held the same fondness for indoor cultivation of legal plants as I, what a wonderfull sight. Oh and acheron those plans are the same as I'm building minus the soda bottle, small internet world out there. Thanks all of you for being knowladgeable and helpfull my girls thank you and so do I. Doc

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 04:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to supplies :)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i fixed a link, too.

The Doctor (Drleary057)
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 02:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean I'm kinda famous?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 02:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

infamous, i believe, is the term.

scott crypt (Roachclip)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking that poly-fil would make a good cheap medium. I just took a handfull of it and soaked it. It's got great drainage and semms to still hold quite a bit of moisture as well. You could mix in some verm for better water retaining ability. Then stuff it in some pots and rinse, all the loose verm should wash out so as not to clog your pump. this should work great in an Ebb and Flow system. I'm gonna try to talk AF into trying it. He's using soil but wants to go hydro.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that just might work, you know ?
worth a try, anyway.
let us know how it grows.

scott crypt (Roachclip)
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah looks like its gonna work. I might of found something here!!